Notices

Day 1 ... again

Old 04-01-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 ... again

So, I'm putting down the drink, and this time for good! Yeah, I've said that a million times and failed, but I don't want to be "hopeful" or "attempt to quit". I believe I can quit, and so that's what I'm doing. I'm actually not quitting because drinking is a problem. I do drink way more than I should, but my poor health is really the only problem. I just want to feel better. I want more energy, more sleep, less anxiety. I have a good job, a good wife and great kids, and I think that turning this page will make my life even that much better. Thanks for the kind ear, and good luck to everyone out there that is quitting, including myself!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Dave

the annoying question lol...
so whats your plan? what are you going to do differently this time?

D
Old 04-01-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, welcome back!

I want more energy, more sleep, less anxiety.
You'll have all that in a matter of weeks. What then? I ask because at that point, many people say to themselves, "Well, I sure licked that problem. No reason I can't have a drink or two now and then..." And that doesn't usually end up working out too well....

Health issues were top of mind for me, too. I'm really glad they motivated me to take action. But the real benefits turned out to be something no medical test can confirm: freedom and self-respect. No more being a slave to a beverage. No more "needing" something at the end of a rough day, or at the end of a good one, for that matter. It's incredible to not need anything except what I already have.

Glad you're here. Get ready, because you're going to discover that better health is just one of many benefits.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good you're still trying, keep it up.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

There is always room for positive change. Welcome back!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome back.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Talking True Strength

Welcome back to the sober recovery locker room. I wish you much strength in setting that drink down for good. Plus there are many tricks to increase your odds of success already posted on this site. ONe can find them if diligent in seeking.

For me and many others a attitude of letting go was more helpfull than the intense for of willpower. Kind of like accepting the end of a long close relationship. Hope that helps.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the support! Day 2 here, and feeling ok. I have lots of work to do, so I was too busy all day to think any negative effects I'm feeling.

Great question about what I'll do after a few weeks. This has been my consistent downfall over the years. I start to feel so good, I tend to rationalize drinking again for fun, or to relax. I think I was able to do it for a few weeks, so I must now be in control. I've done this enough to now realize I have no control. I have to quit permanently, or face the endless cycle yet again.

Honestly, I have no long term plan. I actually post here and read (troll) all the threads to gain perspective on this. Short term, I'm just bracing for the withdrawals, the anxiety, lack of sleep, irritation...all the good stuff I've been through in the past when I quit. I guess this time I'm planning to just let go and experience sobriety, instead of just tolerate and overcome it. I'm planning to live my life. Start doing the things I love again that alcohol took away. Things like exercising, playing video games, going to my kids soccer practice. I'm going to get swept away in sobriety. At least that's my plan!
Old 04-02-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

This has been my consistent downfall over the years. I start to feel so good, I tend to rationalize drinking again for fun, or to relax. I think I was able to do it for a few weeks, so I must now be in control. I've done this enough to now realize I have no control. I have to quit permanently, or face the endless cycle yet again.

Honestly, I have no long term plan. I actually post here and read (troll) all the threads to gain perspective on this.
feeling good was my downfall too.

I honestly think you need a plan Dave - you know you're gonna feel good again and the old rationalisations will start again - you need a plan to deal with that - before it happens.

Support was important for me - I really plugged myself in here - I read and posted every day - I made sure I realised, when those thoughts started again, that I did have a real problem and I needed to make real changes in my life to make sure I didn't go backwards.

I also had to get it through my thick skull I needed to reach out for help - & before I drank, not after.

you can do this Dave - just commit to doing things differently this time- accept your problem

D
Old 04-02-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dave, are you going to AA meetings? They work for me....

Bob R
Old 04-02-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Have you read about AVRT? Or SMART recovery? Look it up and read about it. It may help you to keep ahead of that Alcoholic Voice (AV) that says you can have some to drink.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Bob and Sugar are right, find a program that you can relate to and give it a try.