Notices

My husband is sitting on the deck having....

Old 03-31-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My husband is sitting on the deck having....

My husband is sitting on the deck having a rum & coke, he can have just a few and stop....unlike me, my shut off switch to my brain broke along time ago!.. I am enjoying a tall cold glass of SR ... reading all the post ..so glad I found this site
Old 03-31-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Must be hard. But at least you know... Yeah it's saturday night here and it feels like all my other 20-something friends are drinking the vineyard of Paris streets... A tall glass of SR it is!
Old 03-31-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How do you handle him having drinks around you though? Does it cause anxiety? My wife is the same way, she can have one and then stop, and does so a couple nights a week. This week she hasn't at all because she knows I'm on day 9, but I don't want to keep her from having her occasional drink. But there's a voice that has me worried. I wonder if it'll trigger me or not. Hmm.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you'll become more and more comfortable with the situation, vinyl...

I like me and my life sober...what other people do is up to them and, unless they're being obnoxious, it really doesn't bother me now

D
Old 03-31-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Good for you, nel! We are a good substitute for rum and coke.

You'll get a kick out of this ... got me to thinking about drinking today (no, didn't make me WANT to drink, just made me think of how pointless and silly it is). I took my younger son skiing today, and on the way home, we passed a house where there were two guys sitting out in front ... on the truck next to them, there was a sign that said, "You honk, we drink." It just struck me as incredibly moronic, given the amount of traffic that passes by their house every day on the way out to the ski resort. Dummies. Imagine how trashed they're going to be by the end of the day ... and how they're going to feel tomorrow.

Glad it's not us!!!
Old 03-31-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No it doesn't bother me now...I asked him not to drink (rum&coke)when I first started not drinking for about 6 weeks and he didn't... It doesn't faze me now. He will have 1 maybe 2 but he does not get no kisses after that...lol...no alcohol is touching these lips even via a kiss..lol...I know if I really wanted to drink nothing would stop me...but I'm really determined. I drank even when he didn't alot!
Old 03-31-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah it's hard sometimes. Everyone has the power to stop, just some some than others.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That is funny desertsong...lol crazy :rotfxko... I know when we went to CVS today there is a bar across the street from it called.. I R Here..(the name even sounds like they were drunk when they came up with it!)..lol.. anyways there was police,fire depart., ambulance etc. there and I thought ...yep.. so glad I don't drink anymore! cause you know they are there for a very intoxicated/sick person.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What a great thing you did by coming to chill out on SR instead of dwelling on the fact that he can drink normally and you can't. And that bar name and desertsong's story are cracking me up! Although I do feel bad for whoever needed that ambulance, sad.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ya...my wife has either one or two Caesars two or three times a week.

It doesn't bother me in the least. I actually find the smell of the vodka a bit disgusting to tell you the truth.

I take reassurance from my aversion - alcohol is poison. It's supposed to smell and taste bad.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree time will make it better. When I stopped drinking the first time I was a bar tender while going to college. I was told to get as far away as possible from any alcohol and I did. I quit my job. After doing some actual labor and getting paid 1/4 as much as I was making tending bar I went back to bar tending at the same place without a hitch. I was already reaping the benefits of a sober life.

Just never forget why you quit drinking and see it as a strength of your character.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My thinking would be like this: a "few" drinks? HUH? Why bother? That's not drinking!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My husband has 1 or 2 beers every day but never drinks to excess. It annoys me sometimes that he hasn't helped me to quit the way he promised but it's my problem, not his. I did say I wasn't buying it for him and I'm sticking to that. He's very proud of me!
Old 04-03-2012, 05:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by nel68 View Post
No it doesn't bother me now...I asked him not to drink (rum&coke)when I first started not drinking for about 6 weeks and he didn't... It doesn't faze me now. He will have 1 maybe 2 but he does not get no kisses after that...lol...no alcohol is touching these lips even via a kiss..lol...I know if I really wanted to drink nothing would stop me...but I'm really determined. I drank even when he didn't alot!

You go girl! My boyfriend has stayed sober with me for 96 days but he does not have a problem. I told him I dont care if he drinks but he has insisted on staying clean with me. I would not want any alcohol kisses either! lol
Old 04-05-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
My thinking would be like this: a "few" drinks? HUH? Why bother? That's not drinking!
Me too. I don't think drinking less than (about) 6 drinks is worth it and I sincerely can't understand why/how people drink less than that. I don't think I'm crazy/dumb but no matter how hard I try, I can't fathom why on earth anyone would drink and not drink to excess.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Doing the same tonight as my original post.....thank Gawd for SR!
Old 05-04-2012, 06:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

MWStylee - I am one of those people who can have one or two drinks and no more.
I can't STAND the feeling of losing control over myself. I can get slightly tipsy (I just giggle at stuff) and that's fine, but then i stop drinking at that. I know if i continue i won't enjoy the feeling. I can't stand having to concentrate on where i'm walking, or holding onto people to stay steady. This is all when i DO drink. I hate the taste of alchohol, so i have to have it with some type of soda drink to hide the taste. I prefer a glass of soft drink to be honest. Taste nicer. LOL

That probably still doesn't help answer your question but it's my reasons.