Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Purely sober, but a personal question about DRIVING.

Notices

Purely sober, but a personal question about DRIVING.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Question Purely sober, but a personal question about DRIVING.

I cannot believe I'm posting this and it's gonna sound so stupid with my history here but I'm an honest hitter so here it comes.

I'm 26 years and a half old, highly functioning autistic, prone to anxiety attacks and never have yet driven an automobile-also a recovering alcoholic.

It's time for me to step up to a new challenge in my life *been sober for over 6 months from alcohol* but ... I was just wondering and this has NOTHING TO DO WITH DRINKING AND DRIVING, it has to do with anyone here with automobile experience...

People with panic attacks, or great drivers/etc, the first time you got on the road, how did it feel? You see, I am finally getting a Pennsylvania permit, and I am getting opinions on how it is to drive a darn car/etc... this is one pathetic post but I have nowhere else to go to ask anyone their experience in their life about the road.

I cannot test drive because I need the permit first, but I already know one thing being a recovering alcoholic/etc, I'm cautious, I'm slow but I'm always aware and very paranoid while under heavy stress such as driving so that may work for me. Just asking... and hello all- I'm back .
Old 03-28-2012, 06:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Prayers sent to reduce those panic attacks.

Be defensive when driving. It's something I always focus on, besides the road. Align the middle of the vehicle with the right side of the road. Steady and easy. Relax, but focus.

Practice as much as you can.

Everything new to me caused me to have anxiety or stress. Today, I've worked the 12 steps and work them into my daily life. My anxiety has reduced a lot!
Have you worked the steps? That might help you.

As for driving, just practice practice practice and practice. And practice some more.

You'll be okay. Remember, at 6 months, you are still healing. In 6 more months, things will be much more clear to you than they are now.

Best wishes!
Old 03-28-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I was a bit nervous but I took a driving class where the instructor rode with us and had his own brake pedal on the passenger side I know it can be tough as I am just overcoming serious anxiety and driving had become high on the panic trigger list. At six months sober for me too and feeling much better. Congrats, try to relax behind the wheel & Good luck.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, Paulos! It's good to see you.

Being cautious and aware sound like good things to be when driving.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The anxiety and panic are normal (I think).

I started driving when I was 40 and it was terrifying for the first few minutes. Then it got just scary. Then it became neutral. Eventually it became enjoyable. And now 10 years later I love it.

Just remember, you do not have to face any driving challenge till you want to. It took me two years to be able to face highway driving. Just start slowly on familiar side streets and work your way up.

I never thought I could drive. But I learned. I know you will get through this.

It gets better.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

WOW! What a big step. I have anxiety and just started driving again after almost 10yrs after several DUI's. My advice is listen to music you enjoy and roll the windows down a bit. You will get the hang of it. I'm very happy for you.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome back P! I think this is an awesome step for you. I was scared when I first learned too. There wasn't a driving test for my permit, just a written one..then I practiced and practiced and passed my driving test for my license. You'll be fine! Proud of you and your new adventure!
Old 03-28-2012, 08:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not a driver, so no experience to share - but good luck Paulos

D
Old 03-29-2012, 12:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yay I'm not the only one who waited to learn how to drive I am 29 and I just started driving a couple of months ago. I also have panic attacks and the first several times were terrifying. I can't believe it, but it's gotten so much easier and now I actually feel like a driver!! Just keep practicing - it really does get easier and less scary, and it's surprisingly a lot of fun!
Old 03-31-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I suggest staying away from heavy traffic areas for awhile..I took back country roads early on to places I knew
Daytime hours are better too..

I also did not eat or drink anything when under the wheel..no distractions.

Hope you enjoy learning to drive...
Old 03-31-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Paulos, I had very mixed feelings when I first began to drive. I knew the freedom that I would have but I was so afraid that I wouldn't be able to do it, that I would make a mistake ... run over something.
The best times I remember were going to a large paved area, like a mall parking lot after the stores had closed, and driving all over the place with little fear of hitting something. I got to know how the car worked and I put it through it's paces, starting, stopping, turning.. learning to park in the empty spaces where I couldn't hit anything.

Good luck ... don't push too hard and try to enjoy your discoveries. Let yourself enjoy your discoveries.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-01-2012, 06:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great your back! As for the driving, you can learn it just be patient with yourself. Good luck.