SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   the 2 types of alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/252349-2-types-alcoholics.html)

checkmate1 03-25-2012 01:11 AM

the 2 types of alcoholics

I was the fat eat everything alcoholic. When the urge came after not eating due to drinking to much and alcohol making me hungry so I ate a lot and put on alot of weight. And then there's the type that hardly ate at all and had the nutritional problems that the fat beer belly drinkers didn't have but the high blood pressure and weight gain etc. Maybe it had to do with the type of alcohol we drank.

stillsleeping 03-25-2012 01:25 AM

Yeah, maybe. Beer gave me the munchies, unless I did it with coke, then I didn't eat at all. And I never wanted healthy food with booze, it was all fries an meat heh. The worst was the crap I'd eat for breakfast to 'soak up the hangover'. BLT sandwich, two kitkats and a fanta, every day. Before I even got to work and started looking at the bacon sandwiches. Ugh. We were idiots man!
x

checkmate1 03-25-2012 02:16 AM

for me it was a 2 litre coke large hungry jacks meal sometimes left over chinese or pizza. Shocking diet.

stillsleeping 03-25-2012 02:29 AM

For breakfast? Hehe! Lardass :) Weekends we ate fried chicken on bread and butter...jeez... if I ate that now I'd probably puke. Whatcha eating today?

checkmate1 03-25-2012 02:35 AM

more vegies thank god and more protein ike chicken

stillsleeping 03-25-2012 02:44 AM

Me too in that I just ate cold chicken (not fried) for breakfast heh heh. And now I'm eating chocolate. Ha! I quit drinking 3 weeks ago and crave calories. But I'm still losing weight yay-hey. Sobriety is cool on so many levels... who would have thought? I also can't get enough broccoli to fill some weird broccoli-shaped hole in me. Seriously, I'm eating it every night and it's still not enough. I figure there must be somethin in there my messed-up alckie body needs, and keep shoving it down :) Is it morning or night where you are? Beautiful morning here in usually-crap-and-grey England, goin for a walk on the beach in a minute...

Boleo 03-25-2012 05:14 AM

I went from beer to boxed wine to blended whiskey to pure vodka. They all did the job of getting me blackout drunk. Some just took longer than others.

stillsleeping 03-25-2012 05:15 AM

Nice confession, but what did you eat? :)

1983ritag 03-25-2012 01:06 PM

Oh boy! I was the same way. When I drank, I craved nasty, greasy, fried food. I would wake up in the morning feeling disgusting and thinking "WTF did I eat!" Lol. Glad it's been a while since I've done that. I started craving chocolate after I quit drinking, but that only lasted a couple months. It's amazing how much weight you can lose just by not drinking!

stillsleeping 03-25-2012 01:27 PM

Chocolate, god yeah. I'm shoving it down, but have still gone down a dress size in 3 weeks :) Does that craving last for a couple of MONTHS?? Jeez.

Ah screw it - Bob36 says chocolate is good for you and he's a personal trainer ;)
xx

aeo1313 03-25-2012 01:51 PM

I have gained so much weight from drinking and taking pills and eating everything in sight. I hate my body so much and then I drink or use to forget how much I hate my body and into the circle I go.

stillsleeping 03-25-2012 01:53 PM

Ugh. Horrible cycle, poor you :)

What are you going to do about it? xx

Firehazard 03-25-2012 01:56 PM

drunken fat bastards

Hey dude, Good post as I was also one to not only drink to reduce the tension but also binge on the food. In fact, I can recount at least twice where after a bout of heavy drinking and eating I almost drowned on my own vomit. Poor John Bohnham

stillsleeping 03-25-2012 01:59 PM

Hey, I never thought of that - did I enjoy drinkin cos it made the food taste so good? Nice idea! Although now I'm sober I know it's b0llocks and food = waaaay better without beer. Only not the same food. Seriously, have you looked KFC in the face when you're sober?

Equally, when did pineapple get so tasty? I eat it every day right now...

Jitterbugg 03-26-2012 12:09 AM

I didnt eat until I finished ALL available booze in the house, then I would eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the same time...usually like 5am...

LDT 03-26-2012 01:00 AM

I didn't really notice it at first, but I began eating less and less, until towards the end of my drinking days I ate nothing. I just drank and threw up. Lost a ton of weight I couldn't really afford to lose ( and NO, it was not a good or healthy thing to be that thin ). I tried to force myself to eat but couldn't.....so when people weren't looking I tossed my food into the garbage. I looked terrible. Felt worse. When I got sober my biggest healthy crave was artichokes. I devoured them. And then of course there was chocolate...lots and lots of chocolate.....and almost 14 months later there is still chocolate :)

langkah 03-26-2012 01:12 AM

Hangover cure was the hottest available Mexican food, usually and regrettably from some stop & rob convenience store. Like I couldn't taste much unless it was fiery hot. And a quart of milk to wash it down to aid the dehydration. And 4-6 aspirin and often some caffeine pills I hoped I wouldn't toss.

I'd often not know when I last ate and was thin. Despite being tall and thin I also had bloat in my face and body, which faded after 6-9 months.

Sober I discovered I had a sweet tooth when not getting the sugar from booze, and loved ice cream suddenly. Weight has stayed up/down 10# throughout sobriety, currently pushing up to the =10 mark.

stillsleeping 03-26-2012 01:34 AM

Yeah, that sugar thing seems to be a common story. I don't care what form it comes in either- I'm chuffing as much fresh veg and fruit as I am chocolate. And I had to invent a new drink to fit in all the smoothis I need - mix about one third fresh fruit smoothie with two thirds fizzy water - brilliant. I get through about four litres of that a day atm.

And more pinapple!

Oh also nuts an dried fruit. Anything oily actually - mackerel and stuff...

SOBERINNEPA 03-26-2012 04:37 AM

At my intake for rehab on Sept 6 2011, they weighed me at 202lbs. I weighed myself for the first time, March 20 2012, and I'm 255 lbs. Yep. Added 53 lbs in six months bay adding a dinner every day and subtracting a bottle of vodka. (I was on a liquid meal replcement regimen.)

While I can comfort myself with the knowledge that nobody gets arrested for driving while fat, I also know I didn't get sober to die of hypertension and diabetes. So, it's goodbye nightly Klondike bar and hello, long walks after dinner and sessions at the gym.

And that's still better than doing what I was doing seven months ago.

LoftyIdeals 03-26-2012 04:58 AM

I have gained 20 lbs since I first started on sobriety in March, 2011. In fact, I recall starting drinking again last April in part because of rapid weight gain. I ate well as a drunk, and now binge on food instead of booze. I quit drinking again in August, but still have that 20 lbs. Now, almost 8 months sober, I think I'm ready to lose the weight. The only problem is that I boozed, in part, to relieve constant joint pain, particularly in my bone-on-bone right knee. Every time I start to work out, my pain gets worse. But, the extra weights not helping it either. Arrgggghh. What's a guy to do?