Notices

Alcohol bindge, now have not slept in 2 days

Old 03-24-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol bindge, now have not slept in 2 days

So to start off, I'm 28, been a social drinker all my life, not a heavy drinker I would say, except the occasional birthday etc.

I also have always suffered from sleep problems, and one day I stumbled across the fact that I fall asleep easy on alcohol.

So I started using a glass of wine or a beer to help put me to bed. That kind of got worse. And last week I had to absolutely plaster myself to fall asleep. Then when I wake up, do it again to accumulate 8 hours. I did this for a couple days.

Now the day after that was a f'ing nightmare and a mess. Depression (I didnt suffer from it normally), strange cognitive dissidence, tired, bad memory, and numb. I got through that day (two days ago) and tried to sleep last night with just a few ounces of alcohol. It didnt work, so I didnt push the matter, I just stayed away all night.

Today, I feel numb. Groggy, tired and my hands tremble when I try to focus them on a small task.

I thank god this lands on a weekend, cause I have a bit of time to try and sort this out before monday. I plan on going to bed tonight with only 1 glass of wine (whether it works or not). I'm terrified I wont fall asleep all night.

I do not want to try and get sleeping pills or some other form of sedation. Will I get my normal sleep cycle back (this will be third night).

Some inspirations and insight would be nice. Perhaps anyone who has gone through this?
Old 03-24-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

Please read the link below....

Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

I hope it will give you useful info.

Here is the link to another Forum with more information

Insomnia/Nightmares - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 03-24-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not sure this would help you in your current sleep-deprived state, but you can actually get a fair amount of rest by just staying in bed with your eyes closed.

Much of our brain activity is processing visual information, so shutting that down (darken your room, make it quiet and comfortable, then just lie in your most comfortable position with eyes closed and breathe regularly).

It's worth a try, and it always works for me. I get sleepless when I'm worrying about something, and if sleep does not come, some rest does, as long as I resist the temptation to light the light and get up. Not as good as real sleep but it's something.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Santa, I don't think that insomnia is what needs to be addressed but rather progressing untreated alcoholism.
Read some more posts here and see if you can identify with what folks are saying.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-24-2012, 12:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dawnrunner, I'm going to try that tonight.

2granddaughters, I know for a fact that alcohol inteferes with GABA hormones which are related to sleep. My body has become accustom to receiving the sedation effects of the alcohol to put me to sleep (to a pretty extreme degree as of late). Tonight Ive removed all alcohol from my house (I don't drink during day or even, just when im desperate to sleep), but I dont want the temptations.

I was hoping for someone to reassure me that my normal sleep will return as Im soooo tired right now and I dont want to turn back to alcohol to let me sleep. A big part of this is my own anxiety in the matter too I think.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"I do not want to try and get sleeping pills or some other form of sedation."

erm...why?? thats alot healthier than alcohol..
Old 03-24-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have Trazadone 50mg, but it doesn't work after the alcohol bindge, I believe I f'ed up my sleep cycle BIGTIME by using such heavy sedation for a week... trazadone makes my body feel lethargic, but it doesn't put me asleep. I have eaten well today, taken melitonon and B vitamins. Right now i'm doing work but keeps my mind busy till the evening.

But I am numb I'm so tired because I have not slept in 2 days. I just wanted to know if anyone has been through this?
Old 03-24-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

yeah i didnt sleep properly for a days on end when i quit drinking cold turkey, my head was on overdrive and my skin was crawling, i called it the 'itchy n scratchy show' lol ...your just re-ajusting , takes a few days then you'll crash and be out like a light on about day 4
Old 03-24-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That would be great! Because the only thing driving me crazy is the sleep deprivation, everything else is ok.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

im no stranger to sleep dep, been through plenty of that in the army, theyd use it to test us under pressure and build mental robustness, its difficult i know but you can still survive and function, its not gonna do you any harm really, gets a bit funky after about a week when you start hallucinating though! lol
Old 03-24-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Santacruz

Not being able to sleep is actually pretty common when we stop drinking.
I would routinely not get any sleep at all for 2-3 days.

It was uncomfortable but manageable. for me at least - of course if you feel concerned at all, seeing your Dr & getting some professional medical advice is your best bet

Drinking is the worst option because that simply reinforces the cycle, and actually makes the problem worse in the long term.

D
Old 03-24-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Santa, welcome to SR.

i've always had trouble sleeping too and self medicated with booze for many years (too many). i was the same when i stopped along with night sweats and the itchy show. for extra fun i had some auditory halleucinations for a few days too...(only in the car coming home from work, it was a choir).

i'll spare you the lecture, and share that for me i think on the 4th or 5th night i finally started sleeping...by day 10 i felt so much better and lost that puffed red swollen look.

i do take my calcium, mag/zinc at night and melatonin, sometimes valarian. and this time of year i need Zyrtec. if i get 6.5-7 hours every night it's great.

try to find something you can be grateful for every day and work from there, it's one thing that helps me a lot.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That will get better the longer you go without any Alcohol, you are just going through detox. Give it a few days, in the meantime maybe an over the counter sleep aid would help a little.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Long term insomnia is horrible. Mine was awful, when I was still drinking I never slept over 1-2 hours at a time and many times only about 3-4 hours per day.

Getting sober helped immensely and having a night time ritual helps me too. Always take a shower or bath before bed, make sure I'm not hungry or thirsty, make sure bed is made, I also have a little $20 noise machine I use. Sex, alone or with a partner helps too.

Hope you get the rest you need, sobriety seems to be the biggest key for me.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dawnrunner View Post
Not sure this would help you in your current sleep-deprived state, but you can actually get a fair amount of rest by just staying in bed with your eyes closed.

Much of our brain activity is processing visual information, so shutting that down (darken your room, make it quiet and comfortable, then just lie in your most comfortable position with eyes closed and breathe regularly).

It's worth a try, and it always works for me. I get sleepless when I'm worrying about something, and if sleep does not come, some rest does, as long as I resist the temptation to light the light and get up. Not as good as real sleep but it's something.
Thats actually very true! I've had sleeping problems for months now ever since I've been sober for 7 months. Sometimes I can't fully fall asleep and only get actual 2 to 3 hours of sleep. But when I wake up and work for the day I have energy I was confused until I read your post here. It makes alot of sense. I'd have my eyes closed and focusing on breathing but not really be asleep but then I had energy and didn't think of anything.

Anyways I knwo this is about this persons thread so in other words.... That sounds like a scary thing to deal with, not being able to sleep except with alcohol that does the trick, you may be should looking into sedations. Because eventually the alcohol wont help and you'll need more to go to sleep until to the point you got to of a mere plastered state. I hope you find the advice here helpful! good luck
Old 03-25-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes that is what happened, I kept needing more and more. And then when my girlfriend and I broke up, all I wanted to do was sleep. Kind of ironic I turned into an indirect alcohol for a few days due to sleep needs.

Anyways, here is an update. I just managed to sleep through night two. I'm feel better today. The sleep was full of bad dreams and sweats. The dreams were so surreal too, very weird. I still remember most of them.

I think that tonight I will be able to sleep normal again, now that I have finally removed the need to an alcohol induced sleep for the first time in a while. I'm only combating a week or two of massive alcohol abuse so I dont expect a lengthy recovery.

I'm going to focus on work and I have a date today... so that should keep me busy. As I dont want to be alone with my own thoughts as I still feel pretty down. But this is only day 2 technically, so that's not bad right? No more shakes or tremors. And I feel like being productive. I also don't have much cravings for alcohol, which I'm pretty sure is because I never associated any good feelings with it, I just used it for sleep.

I wanted to thank you all. I know my problem is not as deep as some others, but I went to a VERY bad place a few days ago. A dark place, that I never want to go back to. I felt alone and I did not share my problems with anyone, probably noone even knows. But sharing this one little thread with a few eager responders helped me find the strength I needed.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

the night sweats and nightmares should disappear in a few days as you get better quality of rest. Sober sleep is so much better than passing out and coming too.

a bad break-up coupled with huge amounts of booze and isolating is a recipe for depression that can get worse quickly. i'm glad you broke the cycle and hope you feel better.