Notices

I am angry at AA

Old 03-24-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

erm...dont quite understand why your angry with AA?? direct that relapse anger back where it belongs, with yourself..just get back with the fellowship and fess up n get humble, (done it a few times myself) and its no big deal, as stated earlier, we dont shoot our wounded
Old 03-24-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Although you may be right that "we do not shoot our wounded," we certainly freeze them out or lecture them on how their relapse is all their own fault which anyone could see coming etc.

I have to admit that I would have had a hard time admitting to a relapse in a meeting seeing how people are treated when they do. While I think it is fine to focus on experience, strength and hope, the program would help more people if it allowed people to freely share their failures and temptations as well, without fear of reprisal.

However, given that OP has already told someone about the relapse, he has to tough it out. I think honesty is paramount in recovery. However, the question we all eventually have to face is whether we can be honest in whatever program of recovery we follow.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by miamifella View Post
Although you may be right that "we do not shoot our wounded," we certainly freeze them out or lecture them on how their relapse is all their own fault which anyone could see coming etc.

I have to admit that I would have had a hard time admitting to a relapse in a meeting seeing how people are treated when they do. While I think it is fine to focus on experience, strength and hope, the program would help more people if it allowed people to freely share their failures and temptations as well, without fear of reprisal.

However, given that OP has already told someone about the relapse, he has to tough it out. I think honesty is paramount in recovery. However, the question we all eventually have to face is whether we can be honest in whatever program of recovery we follow.
As someone who has been in AA for 7 years and relapsed several times, and of course witnessed dozens of relapsers coming back into the program, I have never experienced this. All I have ever heard was "welcome back" or "dgillz I'm glad you're back".
Old 03-24-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I have occasionally seen a welcome back, but usually it was someone who used to drink and/or drug with people in the group. But for those without that prior history, it usually was harder.

From what I read here, there seems to be a lot of regional variation so this may just be how they do things in Florida.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
~sb

I agree with dgillz. In 25 years of meetings and not always being sober, I've never witnessed anyone being bashed for relapsing. Only a "welcome back" and "glad you are okay" said with love and understanding.

We DO understand how difficult staying stopped can be, just like on SR, but we do it in person.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

It is good to know that not all meeting are like the groups I encountered. To me SR seems SOOOOOOOO different than anything I have found f2f. I think it is important for me (and everyone else) to remember that we are only speaking from our own experience.

So while every meeting is not a snake pit, like those I encountered, neither is every meeting a welcoming party where everyone will be kind and friendly. People wanting help just have to go out their and take the temperature of meetings themselves.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Have you considered other options? They don't sound like a helpful group of people and it may be you're better off trying something else.

Or perhaps say you don't like the idea of counting days via this chip system. It seems a bit juvenile and perhaps even detrimental.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
~sb

we see what we want to see, or hear or read... the original poster is a "she" not a "he."
Old 03-24-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

First of all, you don't have to go to AA and I assume no one has a gun to your head to keep you from drinking. There are no rules in AA: "the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking". That's it. You're projecting your own rage onto other people. No one is going to get angry at you and ask you to leave. The most important thing is being honest but with yourself and others.

Good luck
Old 03-24-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thank you all. Went to the "relapse" group for aftercare today instead of my usual group, shared my lapse during the subsequent meeting a picked up a 24 hour chip instead of my 90 day chip.

And I'm still alive! So much internal self- manufactured drama. Hopefully I learned something today.

PJ
Old 03-24-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

lol well done pj!
Old 03-24-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Delighted for you PJ.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gavinandnikki View Post
Thank you all. Went to the "relapse" group for aftercare today instead of my usual group, shared my lapse during the subsequent meeting a picked up a 24 hour chip instead of my 90 day chip.

And I'm still alive! So much internal self- manufactured drama. Hopefully I learned something today.

PJ
WooooHoooo Congrats

I was just reading this & thought it relevant:

Feelings like disappointment, embarrassment, irritation, resentment, anger, jealousy, and fear, instead of being bad news, are actually very clear moments that teach us where it is that we're holding back. They teach us to perk up and lean in when we feel we'd rather collapse and back away. They're like messengers that show us, with terrifying clarity, exactly where we're stuck. This very moment is the perfect teacher, and, lucky for us, it's with us wherever we are.

- Pema Chodron
Old 03-24-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Gavinandnikki View Post
So much internal self- manufactured drama. Hopefully I learned something today.

PJ
So did I. I learned that there is one more person in the world who has humility I respect.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:58 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
PJ. I've known quite a few well educated professionals over the years and most of them seem to be the hardest ones to get sober. Their intellect and ego seems to keep trumping their humility and spirituality.

That being said, some of our most revered oldtimers are professionals. I'm betting you make that side of the fence down the line. All the best.

Bob
AA isn't the only method/way to stop drinking.