Notices

Sick?! I never get sick what the heck.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Sick?! I never get sick what the heck.

Just saying when I was drinking I never got sick, maybe a little cold once a year. Now going on something like 10-11 days sober, and I am just on the begining of what I think is going to at least be a pretty bad cold if not something worse. What the hell? Is beer some kind of miracle antibiotic and virus inhibitor or something?
Old 03-22-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quitting is stressful on the body & mind. That plus coincidence probably explains your illness. I wouldn't think too much into it. Alcohol lowers immune system response in general. I'd say the fact you weren't sick over the years is more extraordinary than the fact you're sick now.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you drink enough of it...It can kill anything...
Old 03-22-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

That sucks your sick. Get plenty of rest INH.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

What Sapling said ... I should have been sick all the time given how much I was drinking, but it was the rare occasion. I've had two colds since I got sober this time ... wtf. I figure all the alcohol I was putting in my body probably killed all the germs ...
Old 03-22-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I never got 'sick' all those years I drank.

I found recovery.

In my first year, I had pneumonia 9 TIMES. Yep, I even asked my doctor what the he!!? What was going on? Was my immune system compromised?

His answer: "what immune system. The only thing you had going for you all those years was your very high alcohol content in your blood stream."

I have seen many, over the years, get 'sick' in their first year of recovery ............. colds, flu, bronchitis, pneumonia, etc

Eat healthy, take care of yourself and your body will heal.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 03-22-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

we most likely were carriers, if we weren't sick when drinking, just weren't aware of it. I treated everything with alcohol......

yeah, I got ill a few times, but I found eating right helps a lot.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I seldom got sick over a 20 year career of drinking until the last couple of years...I think my body was shutting
down. My blood pressure was off the charts and I was throwing up quite frequently. I started experiencing tremors which turned into shakes...fevers and hot/ cold flash and sweats. Since I put down the bottle all my health problems have disappeared...
Old 03-23-2012, 05:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Random Guy

I think it might also have been trigered by recent stressers in my life coupled with loss of sleep because of those stressers. I had been surviving on 2-4 hours of sleep a night for about a week, that can't be good on a persons immune system. I got a really good nights sleep last night, like 10-12 hours worth, and plan on going to bed before 10 tonight as well whether or not I feel like it. That and lots of water as I have been drinking a lot of coffee and redbull the past 7 or so days. hopefully that helps to nip this cold in the bud.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It may be just an effect of your body - without the presence of alcohol anymore. Your body got used to it, and so when you have stopped drinking your body seems to react on it. It's what you can call withdrawal stage. It is normal.