Notices

Back again.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again.

You would think that someone who has received professional treatment would go on their merry way and live a sober and contented life.

Not so, as many of you here have probably experienced.

Of course the "first" step is recognizing the problem. That's easy. The hard part is DEALING with the problem.

Late nights of pure boredom are my biggest triggers. And I'm having one now.

Buying an 18-pack instead of a case of beer seems like progress lol. Last week I went on a full-on 4-day drinkfest. By the third day there was no enjoyment in the bend, just maintenance. Continue the grasp at a good buzz....

It used to be fun. Now it's drinking to get that 'buzz' back. That sense of escape that I think that a lot of us want, but can't find outside of a bottle.

I used to be a good musician, a good writer. But now it's all about chasing that 'good drunk'. That elusive feeling that underlies my addiction is slippery and ultimately destructive and short-lived.

Anyway, my family is committed to helping me (thank God) and I pray that I see sober horizons.

I thank everyone here on SR for helping me on my way. God Bless.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

'You would think that someone who has received professional treatment would go on their merry way and live a sober and contented life.'

No PP, I wouln't think that for a moment. They sold that to you as an answer and you bought it as most people do. It's actually next to useless.

Hopefully now you know now and won't go for the usual repeat performances. They got my money twice, but that was it.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by langkah View Post
'You would think that someone who has received professional treatment would go on their merry way and live a sober and contented life.'

No PP, I wouln't think that for a moment. They sold that to you as an answer and you bought it as most people do. It's actually next to useless.

Hopefully now you know now and won't go for the usual repeat performances. They got my money twice, but that was it.
Thanks for the reply, langkah.

But did you not read my next line:

"Not so, as many of you here have probably experienced."

I didn't "buy" anything, and I am very aware of the pitfalls of treatment. Your condescending response is not appreciated nor warranted.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are you going to try anything different this time PilgrimPat?
Old 03-22-2012, 04:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
So it goes

A fellow Pilgrim!!
Pat, I gain a lot of strength from these forums, the people on here have helped me defeat the urge to drink
Use all the resources you can, and need, sober is better and having slipped once I am using everything I can to stay sober.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

The worst thing about chasing that elusive "buzz" is that you eventually reach a point where you just can't get it anymore. But you can't get sober either ... stuck between being unable to get drunk OR sober is a nasty place to be. So watch out for that "maintenance" thing because it will only work for so long.

Glad you are here, though! I think rehab has its benefits in that it can get you out of the "world" for awhile and into a safe place where you can start to re-gather your thoughts and plan for how you're going to live when you get out. But like anything else, you have to build on what you've learned and keep going in order to stay sober or rehab will be a waste of time and money. I think that's all langkah was trying to say ... he's a good soul, so don't take what he says too personally ... he just tells it like it is.

Welcome and enjoy your time here. This is a wonderful bunch of people.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back PilgrimPat

I never went to treatment but I 'experienced' lessons many times rather than learning them.

The only time that really matters is now

Have you got a plan Pat?

D
Old 03-22-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome back!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm not a musician but I am an artist and a writer. When I heard one of my life long heros, Hunter S Thompson, admit that he couldn't really write while he was f*cked up like we were all led to believe I was shocked at first then it made sense, of course. So much for that lifestyle choice! Then he went and killed himself. I used to love all his stuff but now I can't even read it any more. He went from heroic to pathetic, with all apologies to Johnny Depp. I also love Jack Keroac, who paints a much more realistic picture of drinking. The connection between creativity and inebriation is strong but not necessary.

I'm sorry to hijack your thread, PP, but you really made me think. This quitting drinking thing is so hard, no matter what method you choose. I couldn't afford treatment and didn't want to go to meetings so I've been doing it with SR, one day at a time. It was so gross in the beginning that I just don't want to go back to those days. It's been five months now. I have good days and bad. I just don't drink. You can do it too. It's good to have your family helping but remember this is all on you. NO EXCUSES! Remember, boredom beats the hell out of hungover and hopeless. There are all kinds of instant cures for boredom!
Old 03-22-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PilgrimPat View Post
You would think that someone who has received professional treatment would go on their merry way and live a sober and contented life.

Anyway, my family is committed to helping me (thank God) and I pray that I see sober horizons.
"You would think that someone who has received professional treatment would go on their merry way and live a sober and contented life."

My 90 day stint in the Recovery Home in '89 got me to a place where I was ready to begin my recovery in A.A.. It was the start, not the end.
There is no cure for my alcoholism, only a daily reprieve contingent upon the maintenance of my spiritual condition as described in AA's "How It Works"

I found my sober horizons in the fellowship of AA, I pray that your chosen plan of recovery works for you.

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 03-22-2012, 10:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When I was a drinker...and alcohol was destroying my brain
I went directly to AA.....and have found the AA lifestyle to
be an awesome adventure...

Welcome back...I do hope you will soon quit drinking
Old 03-24-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Pat

Not so, as many of you here have probably experienced.
I have experienced that. It was however an eye opener to get some useful information about addiction from a professional.

Dealing with addiction is challenging. Finding the right approach that fits your particular needs to be recovered is an endevot that can be life saving. I encourage you to keep committed to a life drug (alcohol is a drug IMO) free.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have spent quite a bit on rehabs and when you leave they tell you to go to AA. I am sticking with AA. It is way cheaper and it works if I work it.

Plus, each time I have gone (3) I change my mind about wanting to be there. And then it is too late. You are locked in the cuckoo farm until they want to let you out.