Notices

Alcoholic Interrupted II

Old 10-29-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Hey Guys,

Well, we're coming to the end of our anniversary vacation here in St.Lucia, and wow, have we had an amazingly relaxing and happy few days! The weather has been perfect, the locals are really happy and friendly folk, and the natural beauty of the island is outstanding. A real thrill for the both of us.

We've enjoyed a private helicopter ride around the island, visited inside a volcano, and we charted a boat for snorkling in the reefs, and we came back into port just as the sun was setting... beautiful. That evening, under the stars, we made some hot romance happen for the two of us by having white-glove dinner service at the same dock. Our table was placed just a few feet from where our boat had docked. Awesome!

We've done a bit of shopping and tried out some of the local food. We had coconuts opened up for us by a roadside vendor. Tasted sweet, and neither of us could finish them, those things are huge! And we've had some beef patties and some chicken roti... very tasty.

Most of the time we've just been relaxing and tanning in the pool, lol. We've really been able to unplug while here. This for sure has been our best vacation yet, and we'll be returning here for sure!

This journal thread has been such a supportive help for me, and I mean that sincerely. I'm not an easy guy to help, and i appreciate it to no end when I actually do get some real help.

Having the thread to go back to time and again is very satisfying for me. I can see how my fears were unfounded, and how different people who have not ever met me f2f knew just the right thing to say (or not say) to help and support me, and Melissa too. How awesome are all you guys?!!

It's always a wonderful discovery to realize sobriety with love empowers us all no matter our circumstances or challenges, there is always a true way thru whatever maybe happening. It all begins with us putting down that drink for the last time, and never ever picking it up again!

Sobriety Rocks! SR Rocks!

P.S.
Thought I'd change out my avatar for a few days. As you can see, I'm way, way happy with how everything has turned out since starting this thread! Happy is as happy does! Sweeeet!
Old 10-29-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

LOVE the new avatar. Thanks for letting us see (and feel) that happiness with you.

The way you have been able to walk through your fear made me think of a quote. I didn't find the one I was looking for but found this instead, which I think is perfect for this situation.

“Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all. From now on you'll be traveling the road between who you think you are and who you can be. The key is to allow yourself to make the journey.”

― Meg Cabot
Old 10-29-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

You ... Look... Mahveloussssssss...
Old 10-29-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  
Gone In

Look at that smile!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:12 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Sounds like an awesome vacation, you can never have too much fun! We're getting ready for Sandy to pay us a visit, omniously dark and dreary looking right now. Stay cool, carry on and let the good times roll!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Yeah, Sandy is a real problem and getting worse...

We fly into Miami Wednesday afternoon, and then into Boston arriving around midnight. Looks for sure there will be power outages for us, we just received an email warning for our area. The grid covers such a huge area, and Sandy is a horribly ginormous storm, and for sure is causing serious damage.

We sure hope everyone can keep safe over the next few days. Our thoughts and hopes go out for all affected by hurricane Sandy.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Be safe!!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post

The way you have been able to walk through your fear made me think of a quote. I didn't find the one I was looking for but found this instead, which I think is perfect for this situation.

“Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all. From now on you'll be traveling the road between who you think you are and who you can be. The key is to allow yourself to make the journey.”

― Meg Cabot
Thanks so much for that, PaperDolls. Its very inspiring and hopeful. How thoughtful.

Thanks Mark, BASEjumper, BTSO.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:08 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Just curious Robby, but how smooth did your trip back home go? Shortly after my last post on your thread 10/29, the storm began here. Power went out about 7PM Monday and we just got it back 9PM Saturday, so 6 days with no power or heat. We got off easy I guess, many on the east coast got hit a lot harder. This kind of thing really drives home the reality that everything we take for granted could be taken away in a heartbeat. You said you were flying into Boston, Wed. night, just wondering how bad that area got hit.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:02 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Hey BTSO,

We arrived at Logan International from Miami just after midnight Wednesday, collected our luggage and took a private car into Lincoln, our home in the US. Boston itself didn't get it bad as I understand it, you know, some trees knocked over, and such. Schools closed for two days. Some power outages (400,000) for the entire state, all returned to power since Thursday or Friday, I think. No deaths. No remarkable damages comparatively.

Our power was out for a few days, and restored Thursday afternoon, so we arrived Wednesday with no power, no heat - but of course, that is nothing compared to whats in the news for so many others in N.Y. and N. J.

We were really zonked anyways from the flights so we just sleep thru the power out more or less. There were some large trees down here and there around Lincoln, and as for our property itself, which is nestled in the pines and birch trees, we just had alot of leaves and a few small branches strewn around, no damage. We're very grateful.

So we threw out all our fridge/freezer contents and re-stocked Thursday night. Went out last night and enjoyed a steak dinner. So, thanks for asking, as you can see, we did okay really.

You sound good too, after having your power out for 6 days. Yeah, its really such a paradox how our everyday lives are at one and the same instant so unstoppable and super strong, and yet so fragile and endangered. Glad to hear you're okay, BTSO.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Robby,

I don't know how I missed this thread, but thank you for brightening my day. You are extraordinary!
Old 11-05-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Hey, Hey, Hey!!

Its another great day to be all that we can be!!

Old 11-05-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Did you and Melissa have a nice holiday?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thanks, Sally, we did indeed!!

We had been wanting such a get-away for like three years, lol. Just so much had to be done to get our newly re-married lives established. Our adventure to the Carribean was a dream come true in so many ways for both of us. We kept to ourselves mostly, although we did enjoy the sights and now we both have killer tans!!

It is of no surprise that it takes effort to ensure a marriage is happy and comfortable, and our recent holiday was a romantic reward of sorts for our efforts. Melissa and I met here on SR back in July 2008. We then met f2f here in Ottawa Sept 2008. Engaged in April 2009 and married in Ottawa October 2009. We had a very private chapel ceremony taking our vows and creating our pledges.

We were both previously married. Melissa has four children, aged 10 to 17 living with their father in the US. I have one child, now an adult at 22, and she lives with her husband in Ottawa. Both our ex's have happily remarried too.

So, yeah, we enjoyed a very romantic holiday for our third anniversary, thanks for asking, Sally. We plan a return back to St.Lucia. We have our hearts set on visiting Niagara Falls too in the near future hopefully. And a month in Hawaii eventually someday with a visit to Tahiti included in our romantic future plans. Life is sweeeet!!

Old 11-05-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  
Sally1009

How lovely that you met on SR! I think that's the only way I shall ever remarry (I do want to, in time), or in AA. I hate being on my own, and not having anyone to share the wonders of life with. And I can't imagine a 'normie' wanting to get together with me with my history of alcoholism..I cant really imagine loving anyone as much as I loved Andrew, though..
Andrew and I went to Niagara Falls some years ago. It was breathtaking! We also went on into Canada, but I would love to see more of that country one day.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Hi Robbie

I've never read your posts before today and I would just like you what an inspiration you are to me. I feel both humble and empowered. I'm still in the early days of recovery and you've made me believe I can beat this. Many thanks.

You and your lovely wife are very, very special people and I send you my love.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Hi Grace,

Well, thank you so much! Its heart-warming to know the thread is an inspirational lift for so many, including myself, lol. Its amazing how birds of a feather so often flock together!

Awesome on your early success, Grace!

Old 11-05-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Thank you Robbie, much appreciated. x