Notices

Ever do something extraordinary while drunk?

Old 03-20-2012, 10:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ever do something extraordinary while drunk?

How are you all? i want to share this story. It has to do with shooting pool. So let me get right down to it...

How drunk was I? Let's put it this way: I was on the verge of blackout and went in and out of it this evening of the story...

Got to a bar and I just felt really good. I felt like I looked good, smelled good and seen women's eyes looking at me some, or at least it felt that way. So I grabbed a pool stick.

I had not been going to this bar very long but maybe a few months here and there. Everyone was a stranger but I felt comfortably numb. I put my change down and eventually starting shooting pool. The winner stays on the table to play the next person.

Do I have some pool shooting background? Yes. How much? More than average but I'm really only average. I don't think I ever ran a table before to be honest. But I have practiced a little before. but I don't even plan my next shots.

Pretty much all I remember is taking command of the table. I remember making some shots and some guy in a white shirt. There was many in the room though but I didn't take notice to anyone else.

Anyhow I woke up the next day. So there is a blank time slot. I felt like ****. It's now Saturday one day later. I slept a lot of the day. I also didn't feel as confident like I did before. I was worn out.

But later on I went back to the bar because i sensed it was kinda fun what I remembered. The guy in the white shirt comes up to me and say, "I never seen anyone play pool as good as you. " And he put out his hand to shake it. I shook his hand but was dumbfounded. I'm not really that good at pool I thought to myself... I said I was drunk and asked him how i did. he kinda laughed and said, 'You beat everyone back there easily making awesome shots. '

So he invites me to go play again. This time there wasn't many people in the room and i was sober but felt hungover. I was nervous too because this guy expected me to shoot great. I knew I wasn't. So I start missing shots and not long after he says, "you ain't shooting anything like you were last night." I thought to myself, I knew that was coming. I just told him I'm done shooting and walk into the bar then left eventually.

What a weird thing..
Old 03-20-2012, 10:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Random Guy

I am a pool player as well, and used to think that I was much better after a pitcher or two. Turns out it was only because I wasn't able to think about my shots as much while being numbed by beer and my natural thinking would "take over" kinda. Turns out if you can figure out how to do that while sober, you can feel the shot and plan for the next one at the same time. You will get a lot better sober than you will drunk as well because you actually remember what you did right and what you didn't haha.

Half the time when drunk to the point of which you were that night it is just a lucky night combined with not able to think to much. Trust me those nights will be few and far between, and you are perfectly capable of doing the same sober. Every dog gets his day, sober ones just get them more often and actually remember them the next day.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, of course I have... I went into a family restaurant that was playing blue grass music with friends... had a great time... went to work the next day and everyone was complimenting me on piggy backing the HUGE cement pig in the place... I then said "you weren't even there" They responded "yes, we got there right before you were kicked out" OUCH....
Old 03-20-2012, 11:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not beating up on anyone here - but I think it's a very natural thing for most of us to celebrate those few times when things go right despite ourselves, rather than remember the very many times when things went disastrously wrong.

I was never good at pool, drunk or sober, but I really clung to those couple of times when I was a gigging musician and had a really good gig drunk...I managed to convince myself I was a better musician when I played drunk or high.

Of course I could never consistently recreate the 'magic'...I racked up many more disastrous gigs chasing that particular dragon, and that kind of thinking in fact lost me my music career....

D
Old 03-21-2012, 04:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Sure I had some good experiences the first few years that I drank. Thats what caused me to drink more and more each year. Chasing the sweet spot.

However, my good experiences were 10% real and 90% delusional thinking. The whole world looked better through beer-goggle-glasses.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I did lots of things that were extraordinary when I was drunk. Extraordinarily bad.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober is Better

Originally Posted by desertsong View Post
I did lots of things that were extraordinary when I was drunk. Extraordinarily bad.
oh how i can agree
Old 03-21-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The only thing I did that was extraordinary in my long drinking career...Was staying alive.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I played college golf, and am 40+ now.

A few years ago, I started a round at a very tough course birdie, birdie, birdie, birdie, par, eagle. shot 30. No fluky shots. All short putts. It came easy.

I was drunk.

The problem was that I evolved to only being able to play well if I was drinking.

That started to scare the hell out of me because it was a major sign of moving from recreational drinking to dependence.

It was a major motivator for me to quit, and stay quit for the last 7 months.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
The only thing I did that was extraordinary in my long drinking career...Was staying alive.
I sometimes wonder if part of the alcoholics experience is having an exceptional guardian angel.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know what you mean, but I've changed my perspective. It's funny how if we do something we consider extraordinary while drunk we automatically give all credit to the alcohol.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I got into pool about a year ago. I remember a few instances where I would make extraordinary shots while I was totally blitzd. I'd also find myself scratching on the 8-ball quite often. What was more extraordinary was that I drove myself home without a DUI/Accident.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
I don't have any amazing extraordinary stories to share off-hand. I do have some but knowing how unreliable my recollection was, I'm not sure if I really was the rockstar or the clown. In my case, I am guessing it was probably more of the latter.

I think it's okay to acknowledge these cases do exist if put in the right context. The other extreme position - that "alcohol always impairs performance in all cases" - can also backfire if/when we discover cases to the contrary; suddenly the alcoholic mind reasons that maybe booze is a performance enhancer after all.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A friend was just an amazing shot, could just crush anyone. I'd play him early and lose, get pretty drunk and by then his very hot blonde wife would feel kind of tired and I'd take her home to be of help to him while he cleaned out all comers back at the bar.

Some people can really work magic with a stick.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by langkah View Post
A friend was just an amazing shot, could just crush anyone. I'd play him early and lose, get pretty drunk and by then his very hot blonde wife would feel kind of tired and I'd take her home to be of help to him while he cleaned out all comers back at the bar.

Some people can really work magic with a stick.
You old dog you...
Old 03-21-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Computer Surgeon

I wrote some pretty cool stories and poems when I was loaded. I once made something like 20 3-pointers in a row from the NBA arc when I was completely obliterated. I even met my wife loaded.

The problem is, at some point a switch flips, and no matter how hard we try, nothing can bring us back to the time when drinking was a magical experience full of good times and smiles and stories of getting laid and waking up the next day without a care in the world. It goes black and dark. Literally and figuratively.

I never used to believe it when I heard the old timers say it in the meetings, but I believe it now. I wouldn’t trade my worst days now for my best days then.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I used to think everything I was doing while drunk was extraordinary, then I would wake up the next day and cringe in embarrassment!
Old 03-21-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

Alcohol seemed to give you confidence, the problem is, it was a one time deal. That confidence is already inside of you. Now it's time to uncover all the stuff that is hiding it. The steps helped me to do that. Today, I can do anything well I set my mind to, as I work those steps daily. Sober life is more confident and amazing than those one time deals....never to be recreated.

I can recreate them sober. So can you!
Old 03-21-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm not beating up on anyone here - but I think it's a very natural thing for most of us to celebrate those few times when things go right despite ourselves, rather than remember the very many times when things went disastrously wrong.

I was never good at pool, drunk or sober, but I really clung to those couple of times when I was a gigging musician and had a really good gig drunk...I managed to convince myself I was a better musician when I played drunk or high.

Of course I could never consistently recreate the 'magic'...I racked up many more disastrous gigs chasing that particular dragon, and that kind of thinking in fact lost me my music career....

D
Well said & exactly what I was thinking reading this post.

I used to take great pride in my drunken accomplishments... like the time I got pulled over on my motorcycle completely **&(-faced and managed to hide it. Or how I ended up w/ a hot woman even though I was so drunk I had to ask my friends to point her out to me the next day. Or all those times I rocked the club with my amazing dancing skills.

It's all a matter of perspective, I guess. With the motorcycle, I probably should have been more focused on the fact that I very likely could have killed myself or someone else instead of taking pride in duping the cop. With the girl, I probably should have been more concerned with catching a disease or getting rolled by her friends instead of thinking I'm a stud for hooking up with a chick who was probably as wasted as I was. And my dancing skills... there's probably a good reason I was always given a wide berth on the floor - and it wasn't because they had to make room for the film crew.

When I look back on the reality of who I was & what I did when I was drunk, the only thing I find extraordinary is that I'm not dead or in prison.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I can totally relate to your story here on pool. a few years back a friend and I would go out on a night like tonight actually. Wednesday nights because I'd be off for thursday and I NEVER drank when I knew I had to work the next day.... well... back then.... I became awesome at pool and always challenged people to a match when I saw someone good, of course I was drunk as heck bythis time and the person I challenged chuckled at me and I overheard him say "Watch this I'll take him out easily" to his friends. Just so happened to beat him and he said it was luck but moved on.

My friend was never really good at pool but sometimes he'd win and we'd buy rounds to celebrate. It was only him and I though but we always went there for 8pm till 2am when it closed and be drunk as heck.

So one time as a birthday celebration I drank before we headed to the pool hall because I planned on getting wasted there and was already hammered! Well knowing who I was and what night it was they kept the booze flowing to our table and I had like 8 people come to play pool and one whom was a pool shark that actually played in many leagues. He challenged me to a match and said if I won he'd buy me rounds for the rest of the night so I wouldn't have to spend anymore cash. Just so happened had drunken luck and it being my birthday, we had a game of 9 ball and guess what? Sunk all 9 balls without missing a single shot and my friend was totally shocked but laughed out loud and hit me on the back and I said "It's only because I'm plastered and its my birthday! Bring em the drinks you promised!" everyone cheered lol.

Hmmm memories of good times. But I was majorly over my head in drinking by then. Though I never drank daily, nor did I ever miss work back then due to drinking. I still drank to excess. my old drinking friend knew I had a drinking problem and tried many times to say I wasn't welcome to come to his place anymore but I'd show up randomly with food, tons of booze and smokes for him and his girlfriend they never kicked me out and always allowed me to stay over. Thats when things got worse over time.

Anyways that was my one moment when I was plastered and beat a Pool Shark Veteran at his own game.... would have been me paying the drinks had I lost but nope. Sad thing is.... I don't remember any of it I was only told the next day as I nursed my throbbing head how I powned him. When it was time to sober up and I faced him he always won, never could beat him sober lol.