Notices

Ever do something extraordinary while drunk?

Old 03-21-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

hey thanks all. I enjoyed the responses!

I've been sober since Aug 2010 with one night relapse Apr 2011. So I am doing quite well!

Nothing would be worth going back to drinking. I have thought about it many times but I'm not giving into that crap again.

At any rate this post should naturally be somewhat short. If it was a post about the bad things alcohol has done it would be miles long.

Later
Old 03-21-2012, 09:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
LDT

I am a musician, and always interested in musician stories.....especially sober musician stories.....Bonnie Rait use to tell her story of how she thought it was necessary to keep drinking to give her music a sort of rawness or edge. Then one night she went to See Stevie Ray Vaughan, who was a recovering alcoholic, perform SOBER. His show apparently blew her away and she said "there's goes my last reason to keep drinking" . She's been sober for over 20 years now. Obviously she did well without the brew!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I actually play guitar but not so much now. When I was younger I was in some bands. I noticed I could never play guitar well past a few beers. Our drummer would speed to fast or someone would forget a riff or something. but mostly the timing would go off. I'm sure we could have learned to play drunk but we mostly practiced sober. We didn't play out too much though, mostly like a party band type thing. We did speed metal but it wasn't death metal. Our singer actually sang.

I just thought I'd throw that out there since there are some musicians here.

Whats kinda strange is i was never an alcoholic in my teens or on my 20's while the band was going on. It wasn't until I turned 30 and lived by myself that i abused alcohol.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
LDT

I think the musician analogy is appropriate. It shows that what we THINK we are, or what we THINK we can do while drinking doesn't much resemble those times in which we are not. I was never a good musician when I drank......but I was also not a good wife, mother, music teacher, friend......PERSON. But that was then, and this is my sober NOW!
Old 03-22-2012, 05:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well, Once when I was really drunk and high on some super stuff, I parted the red sea, and carved out the "ten commandments" into a stone and told everyone it was from God.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I thought I shot pool better a little drunk also. Eventually, I became such an alcoholic that I couldn't shoot pool because I would be stumbling around drunk. I was kicked out or "barred" from the nicer bars with pool tables & had to go to low bottom drunk type bars. At my bottom I drank in my studio apartment & at a low class bar around the corner that opened at 7AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by tooling View Post
Whats kinda strange is i was never an alcoholic in my teens or on my 20's while the band was going on. It wasn't until I turned 30 and lived by myself that i abused alcohol.
Oh yeah?
Old 03-25-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
~sb

Just because we've been able to accomplish some "extraordinary" things while drinking doesn't mean we couldn't do these things without drinking, it's part of our delusional thinking going on. We can still do extraordinary things sober, and then some!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:06 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

" Ever do something extraordinary while sober? "
Old 03-25-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
The only thing I did that was extraordinary in my long drinking career...Was staying alive.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I think it can happen occasionally... alcohol can help you to forget your fears & just be in flow but as someone mentioned earlier its a very small sweet spot. It usually gets quite messy once your out of it (for me anyway).

I used to think I was a rockstar singing Born to be wild until a friend showed me a video of my performance...scary rofl

The cool thing is that I am getting better at getting into the flow sober, with tennis & other sports/hobbies. It feels great that you did it yourself without substances & you also feel that much better the next day
Old 03-26-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Did I ever do anything extraordinary while drunk?

Yes. Only one thing, although it was a total accident. I conceived my first child. Who is healthy, funny, and absolutely brilliant!