Notices

6 Days without alcohol

Old 03-18-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 Days without alcohol

This is the longest i have went in nearly 10 years without drinking..i was just wondering what to expect in the coming days and weeks. I have actually been lucky i think, the only real problem i have been having is my blood pressure has been up the last 2 or 3 days. Some reason i haven't really had the cravings. Are there other people who have been through the same type of thing.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

John, are you planning on attending AA meetings?

Wishing you the best.
Bob R
Old 03-18-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

wow! yep i think your lucky too john ...after 10years drinking! youve had a blessing or something there mate! dont waste it
youve done the hard part, now its the easy bit...maintaining it
Old 03-18-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You will gradually become restless,irritiable, and discontented until you can't stand it anymore and you will drink again.That is alcoholism and that's what you've got.
Get to AA as fast as you can.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think I'll have to respectfully disagree with winslynn above Think positive and keep yourself occupied. 23 days for me, only been to AA 2 times and have picked up the Rational Recovery book which I feel is more my liking. Different strokes..Good luck bud, you can do it.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by john1972 View Post
This is the longest i have went in nearly 10 years without drinking..i was just wondering what to expect in the coming days and weeks. I have actually been lucky i think, the only real problem i have been having is my blood pressure has been up the last 2 or 3 days. Some reason i haven't really had the cravings. Are there other people who have been through the same type of thing.
Everyone here has been through it. Please stick around and tell us whatever is on your mind, also we have chat meetings on weds night at 5:00 pm est, and on friday night at 9:00 pm est. Feel free to attend.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
So it goes

Keep at it John. Take the advice on SR, keep posting, and do what it takes to keep off the sauce.
Some people do AA, some dont, just make sure whatever you do you stay a winner

It does get better I am nearly 2 months sober now, and feel great.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community..

6 days can be the start of a healthier sober future...good for you..
Please check with your doctor about how best to move forward
Old 03-19-2012, 06:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Originally Posted by winslynn View Post
You will gradually become restless,irritiable, and discontented until you can't stand it anymore and you will drink again.That is alcoholism and that's what you've got.
No offense but if this is a fact, then i am screwed (just see the location, no AA in my whereabouts I have looked) AA I am sure is a good thing and if you think it would help then yes get to a meeting. Just know that people do this all the time have been for as long as alcohol has been around, and that is a long time. When I get back to civilization I do plan on going to at least one meeting just to see what it is like, maybe I will like it. For now at least though RR/AVRT is working for me I close out my second first week since I started trying today. It took it a while to make sense and "click" with me but eventually it did. Life is still crazy but I know that I never drink no matter what and deep down that makes me happy no matter what happens.

Good Luck in whatever you choose, you can do this, and there many tools available to help, grab whichever you think will work for you and run with it.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great job for you. About the blood pressure, have you already got yourself checked by the doctor? You better do it right away. In certain ways doctors can give you instructions on what to do, or any med to take to help lower down and normalize your blood pressure.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 7

Thanks again everyone, i actually have a dr apptmt this afternoon. So hopefully will get some additional help i need. I actually tried AA a few years ago, went for 4 days, unfortunately it just wasn't for me. Now it might be because i hadn't woken up yet. The real sad part of all this and the reason i think i finally woke up is my wife had enough. She has been warning me for years and i guess at the time the alcohol has been more important than anything, even my beautiful supportive wife. Problem is i didnt see the support and qualities at the time, all i saw was alcohol. Now that i finally woke up and want to be that person she fell in love with, i think its too late. I am not ready to give up on us and our family. I have let us all down. We also have 2 children. I am just hoping she sees i have finally began recovery and gives me and us a chance. And yeah she has given me plenty of chances. I just hope there is one more in her.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Clear something up

Johnny 2 times, i wanted to clear something up. When i said in the last 10 years, i meant because i had to have stomach surgery 10 years ago and had now access to drinking for the time i was in the hospital. I am almost 40 and have been doing thins since i was a teenager. Enough is enough. That is way too long to be controlled.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Seriously?!
Old 03-19-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

6 days well done
Old 03-20-2012, 01:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Obviously many people have not read the Big Book of AA.Read the Dr.s Opinion and learn a little about what your problem is.Don't be ignorant of this condition which will take everything from you before it kills you.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Striving to be a better Man!

Obviously many people have not read the Big Book of AA.Read the Dr.s Opinion and learn a little about what your problem is.Don't be ignorant of this condition which will take everything from you before it kills you.
People aren't being ignorant winslynn. This is not a straight aa site and there are other programs and things members here have used with success.

Btw. I am aa and a few other tools thrown in so I support the program but with an open mind.

John I feel for you.. Don't give up hope, stay sober and work on yourself, action speaks louder than words when it comes to friends and family. Congrats on your sober time!
Old 03-20-2012, 03:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

fair play to you John

Day 80 here and no AA meetings for me. I also have taken the RR route and have not had any cravings.

I drank for 20 years. I imagine not as heavily as some as I worked all the time until I lost my job and then started daily drinking - not every day, but at least every second day. It was rare for me to ever go more than three days without drinking. And I always over-did it at weekends.

I didn't have any withdrawal apart from some disturbing dreams for a few days.

Of course there is more than just AA if you want to quit it for life. Plenty of people have successfully quit using other methods. AA is not some guaranteed road to success either, so do what seems to work for you

I am glad you found this place and wish you all the best in the world.