Notices

Had a spectacular Weekend, how about you?

Old 03-12-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Had a spectacular Weekend, how about you?

Had a wonderful weekend filled with my kids sports games and practices.

I think back to what I used to do before I stopped drinking and WOW what a change, and all for the better. Example below.

This year
Friday:
Met a few friends at the Palm for lunch to watch the Maryland basketball team lose. Had iced tea and a great time with my boys, most of them drank but it does bother or effect me so more to them. Leave early to coach Lax practice for my kids school team, great practice kids hyped up to play. Then off to coach Basketball for my sons team, then to hockey for the boy. Long and rewarding day ended with a nice Cigar on the back deck.

Two years ago what would have happened:

Lunch at Palm with my boys, but I get there early to get a head start and to take the edge of the night before. Three to Four Martinis at lunch, then off the bathroom to score a magic 8 ball and see where the night takes me. A few phone a calls to wife to make up some excuse as to where i am and why I can not pick up the boy from hoops or Hockey. Endless conversations with my new best friends in the bar into the night, without concern for my family or myself.

This year
Saturday

Coach Three basketball games, we lost the last that knocked us out of the tournament by a last second shot by the other team. Kids played amazing and made me so proud of them and of myself as their coach. Picked up daughter from a sleep over and worked on he softball in the backyard. Then of the Wizards game with my sons team, one of the parents hooked us up with his company's box had way too much fun with the kids and after I handed out the awards etc.. the other parents gave me a gift card and thanks for coaching. Drove a bunch of the now sugar drunk kids home, ended the night with a cigar on the porch.

Two years ago:

Wake up, if I did sleep at all, with no knowledge of what happened or where my car was for the night before. Go to kids game hung over and in a shame spiral. Take them out in between game to a wing place that serves beer and sneak out to smoke a joint to "get right" after a few beers.
Would have hitched a ride to game that night for my son and I and would have drank the suite out of beer and vodka and hope to get a ride home.

I am so much more productive and happy then I was a year and a few months ago when I stopped drinking. I am ready for a great week with some incredible weather here in the DC area!!!

Look forward to hearing what others did this past weekend,
Old 03-12-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Interesting thread! Sounds like you had a great weekend.

It is kind of fun to compare a weekend now as opposed to a few years ago when my drinking was out of control...

Friday I had lunch with a couple of girlfriends and her new baby. Then we went to the park with the baby and walked a few miles. I brought my mom home dinner and called it a night.

Saturday did Jiujitsu from 12-2 and had some nice submissions while rolling, cleaned the matts there for another few hours, went fishing with my little brother and caught a bass, crapie and blugill.

Sunday took another alcoholic to his commuity service at 8am and then trainned jiujitsu again for a few hours. That night picked this same person up and took him to a meeting. He seems to want to turn his life around and I am glad to help him do so.

A few years ago friday would have started off as a drunken night at the local karokee bar and played out till Sunday where everything would have been a haze. Come Monday I would have felt sick and not wanted to work...Then braging to my co-workers how "cool" I am because of my crazy life.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Before, I would've left work on Friday afternoon and buy 3-4 bottles of vodka at the store. Call up family members and make up an excuse about being busy with "work" all weekend so don't try to contact me. Go home, change into gym shorts & t-shirt and be in the same clothes for the next 48+ hours drinking around the clock.

This Friday, I picked up some veggies and steaks to bring to a grill-out at my brother's home and hung out with my whole family all night. Drank iced tea. Saturday- tuned up my mountain bike, went for a 40 mile trail ride in the woods. Joined a few friends for sushi Saturday night, drank water. They enjoyed many-a-sake bombs. Sunday- dry walled most of my basement, went for a jog, went into the office for a couple hours to get a head start on the week.

Great thread, bmwcycle, sounds like you had a great weekend.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mwstylee View Post
Before, I would've left work on Friday afternoon and buy 3-4 bottles of vodka at the store. Call up family members and make up an excuse about being busy with "work" all weekend so don't try to contact me. Go home, change into gym shorts & t-shirt and be in the same clothes for the next 48+ hours drinking around the clock.

This Friday, I picked up some veggies and steaks to bring to a grill-out at my brother's home and hung out with my whole family all night. Drank iced tea. Saturday- tuned up my mountain bike, went for a 40 mile trail ride in the woods. Joined a few friends for sushi Saturday night, drank water. They enjoyed many-a-sake bombs. Sunday- dry walled most of my basement, went for a jog, went into the office for a couple hours to get a head start on the week.

Great thread, bmwcycle, sounds like you had a great weekend.
Thanks sounds like you had a great time also, hoping to go on a bike ride this weekend,
Old 03-13-2012, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober is Better

ya i like this thread as well. I had a great weekend. I just got out of a bad relationship so i'm trying to put my life back together as a single 26 year old. I moved out of our old place and got my own about 3.5 weeks ago. I haven't really had the time or motivation to set it all up, but my mom wanted to come up and visit and help with the house. and help she did!! but before that... friday i worked all day then went to a meeting picking up a friend who was in an accident along the way (service work). Took my friend home and went to bed.

Saturday - mom came over and helped me set up the place. she brought all kinds of mirrors and pictures for my apartment. It looks great i set it all up and rearranged the living room so everything is great. I went to home depot while she was setting up the kitchen and got some stuff to make a 'cat door' through my bedroom window so they can get out on the patio to use the litter box. I also got some indoor/outdoor carpet to put outside as well, dark green it looks nice. Saturday night i went to my meeting and then stayed for the meeting after the meeting until 11pm (meeting was over at 8pm lol). Came home and watched a movie and passed out on the couch.

Sunday - woke up went to my 11am meeting and talked to my sponsor about some things (for a different thread) then called my parents up and went down to their house for lunch and to watch the Las Vegas NASCAR race and get some more things for my apartment from my mom. watched the race with them and then went to a friends house in their neighborhood for a taco soup dinner with her family. Got back home about 8pm on sunday and took the stuff my mom gave me and finished the entire living room setup, it looks great a huge difference!!! stayed up too late due to the time change and woke up sleepy for work on monday.

But all in all it was a great weekend all i have left to do now is finish putting some stuff up on the walls in my bedroom and my apartment is finished.