Notices

Stopped going to meetings?

Old 03-12-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by CoreyS View Post

...and I have no plans on drinking ever again.
What you say sounds logical and makes perfect sense... IF you do not have the ISM component of alcohol-ISM. The ISM part will trump logic and reason any day.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Whatever helps you stay sober, do it. It doesn't have to be the steps if you don't agree with them. Just find something that makes you feel happier as a person while staying sober.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I think it's an commendable that your going to give back to the community as an addictions counselor. I know for myself that AA's 12 steps wasn't for me and I needed a viable alternative to be recovered from addiction. The addiction treatment profession was just what I needed for ethical, qualified and efficient help with my once hopeless addiction disorder.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by zencat
The addiction treatment profession was just what I needed for ethical, qualified and efficient help with my once hopeless addiction disorder.
That and a healthy dose of headbangin' metal if I'm not mistaken lol
Old 03-13-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I like you sobered up early. No one is the same. I will say that passing on in some way your experience will help that feeling. For me my body bounced back quick and God gave me a pass on my obsession.
Please take this from a person sober 20 years. If you do ever start drinking again the chances are of sobering up and staying sober decrees dramatically. Not only that the chances of your dying early go up exponentially. While I don't have the exact numbers I have 20 years sober eyes.
You may have cleaned out most of the bag on your back but we add stuff back in on a daily basis. So keep active somewhere.... As my kids say.. Just saying....

Hello, I'm new to this board. Let me first start by saying that I have over 13 months of sobriety under my belt from alcohol and drugs (alcohol was really my DOC though). I am 23 years old. I did the 90 meetings in 90 days in the beginning (more like 120 meetings in 90 days) and continued to go daily for another couple of months. I started working more and then cut back to 5 meetings a week. 5 months into my sobriety I moved to a different state with my parents. I went to the meetings in my new area and I just wasn't into it. The last meeting I went to was when I got my 6 month chip. I am not a religious person at all, I never got a sponsor, although I did make some close friends In my original state that were closer to my age. Today I have absolutely no desire to drink, but I have begun to feel guilty that I have stopped going to meetings. I almost went on my one year anniversary, but I felt I would not be sending a good message to the new-comers. I feel that AA is very important and I can say I would not have been able to stay sober during my first 90 days without the meetings. On the other hand, I feel like going to meetings makes me constantly think about drinking, and when I don't go, I think about drinking for weeks at a time with no problem.

Am I right in feeling guilty? Let me reiterate that since I have stopped going to meetings I have remained sober, held a job, and continued to go to school with no ill effects and I have no plans on drinking ever again.

Thank you,
Corey S
Old 03-13-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Am I right in feeling guilty?
When I feel guilty, I usually am. Just sayin...
Old 03-13-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
When I feel guilty, I usually am. Just sayin...
Yeah, so true. And sometimes the guilt I felt was for leaving behind a life that wasn't working. Strange, eh?!

Guilt is and was never a simplistic gotcha! thing for me. Just sayin...
Old 03-13-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Yeah, so true. And sometimes the guilt I felt was for leaving behind a life that wasn't working. Strange, eh?!

Guilt is and was never a simplistic gotcha! thing for me. Just sayin...
Absolutley! There is no "control sample" for any of this.

"Smart men learn from their mistakes, Wise men learn from the mistakes of others" I had to have this tattooed on my brain. Just sayin....
Old 03-13-2012, 09:55 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

The AA 12-Steps and meetings don't have a monopoly on those sober in recovery. But for me, it was the last thing I tried that continues to work. Someone once told me although you can survive in barrel over Niagara Falls, doesn't mean it's a top choice for transportation.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

The AA 12-Steps and meetings don't have a monopoly on those sober in recovery. But for me, it was the last thing I tried that works. Someone once told me although you can survive in barrel over Niagara Falls, doesn't mean it's a preferred choice for transportation.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I feel that AA is very important and I can say I would not have been able to stay sober during my first 90 days without the meetings. On the other hand, I feel like going to meetings makes me constantly think about drinking, and when I don't go, I think about drinking for weeks at a time with no problem.

Am I right in feeling guilty?
As far as your sobriety is concerned..... plenty of folks can get sober and keep themselves sober without having to continue passing the gift on to others. I've found that working with newcomers in my meetings and sponsoring guys has TOTALLY changed AA for me. It's no longer about what I can GET from it but what I can GIVE to it. It's a shift in attitude.....and it's been really cool as I stopped "getting" much from 98% of the meetings I go to several years ago.....

Whether it's "right" that you feel guilty or not is impossible to say. ....and regardless of whether it's "right" or not......you FEEL that way. You can either address it or not.

I'll say.....I'd feel guilty myself though if I wasn't giving back to AA what I took from AA.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
~sb

My sponsor agrees with helping others as an avocation, 'cause if you're gettin' paid for it, it's called a JOB.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
My sponsor agrees with helping others as an avocation, 'cause if you're gettin' paid for it, it's called a JOB.
Speaking of which...How's your new one going?
Old 03-14-2012, 06:40 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

a few years ago- right after my sons TBi accident, i ran across an old friend. we had not seen each other in over a decade, He knew i was doing AA, He had almost 20 yrs sober without AA [had done AA early on, maybe a year] he had an 8 yr old son now. Turns out we all really liked to fish for bass and pike

So we started to hang out . And my son and i were discovering that fishing was the one place we could still connect. So this friend observed my challenges with my son. And he observed my responses . Turns out he was really feeling challenged as a father and husband. Had been thru some depression . Lots of anger...

Anyway, one day he just calls me and says "man, I really really want what you have. I think I 'm gonna go to a meeting"

Today, he is working 12 steps hard . And he's pro active in anger therapy, parenting classes, etc etc.... he and his son are the poster children for what a father and son should do- they are so damn beautiful together it just melts my heart.

Some one else commented that 12 steps give us more than just a lesson in how not to drink. For me [and for that buddy of mine] it has certainly been true.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thank you. There is a big difference between dry and sober.

Sounds like "Attraction rather than promotion" in action.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-15-2012, 11:25 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
There is a big difference between dry and sober.
Bob,

Would you kindly explain the difference between 'dry' and 'sober'?
Old 03-16-2012, 12:14 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Many people stop drinking without AA. you have stopped drinking, are sober and committed to not drinking again. I don't think you need to feel pressured into going to meetings if you feel they would be of no benefit to you. When I went to AA it was drummed into me that not attending meetings means you will drink again-if you know this isn't the case, as you have seen over the last few months then you have to ask yourself what benefit would there be in attending or feeling guilty about not attending.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:54 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I agree AA does not have a monopoly on sobriety. But, my question is, why wouldn't someone want to go to AA?
Old 03-16-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by bluoval View Post
I agree AA does not have a monopoly on sobriety. But, my question is, why wouldn't someone want to go to AA?
Hi bluoval,

I think you're answering your own question -- AA is not the only show in town. That is reason enough, yeah? Whatever works for the individual is the best way forward. For some, that means choices. For some others, it means only one choice.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I would hate for someone to not try AA because someone else told them it wasn't the only show in town. Had I not TRIED every possible way, including AA, I would be dead right now. Just sayin....