Notices

New Job and scared

Old 03-12-2012, 04:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JEANS

New Job and scared

I lost my job through drinking and then was out of work for a while. I became sober 75 days ago and have been employed for about 40 days now.

Recently my anxiety levels are decreasing and I no longer feel depressed. The job I have at the moment is a bit of a dead end job and not brilliant pay so I went for a job interview for a job I would never have gone for in my drinking days and I got it woooooop.

The only problem is I'm starting to panic now and get worried. I'm worried my anxiety will return, I can't believe I even went for this job.

Have I done too much too soon? I would hate to put myself in a situation where I could be back to square one.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeans View Post
I lost my job through drinking and then was out of work for a while. I became sober 75 days ago and have been employed for about 40 days now.

Recently my anxiety levels are decreasing and I no longer feel depressed. The job I have at the moment is a bit of a dead end job and not brilliant pay so I went for a job interview for a job I would never have gone for in my drinking days and I got it woooooop.

The only problem is I'm starting to panic now and get worried. I'm worried my anxiety will return, I can't believe I even went for this job.

Have I done too much too soon? I would hate to put myself in a situation where I could be back to square one.
Hi Jeans

I AM OFF WORK and will be 2 months tomorrow since i picked up a drink, how did work sack you, as feel mine are going the right way to do this and been there 17 years. think of the getting the new job as you where liked and came across as being a person some company want
Old 03-12-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JEANS

Hi Paddy, well done on 2 months sober.

I didn't get sacked but I walked out, it was a very messy situation. I was being bullied by my bosses but because I was drinking so bad I didn't handle the situation correctly. Walking away from that awful place was the best thing I ever did.

I hope your job turns out well
Old 03-12-2012, 05:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Jeans View Post
Hi Paddy, well done on 2 months sober.

I didn't get sacked but I walked out, it was a very messy situation. I was being bullied by my bosses but because I was drinking so bad I didn't handle the situation correctly. Walking away from that awful place was the best thing I ever did.

I hope your job turns out well
lol been drinking 2 months every hour
Old 03-12-2012, 05:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JEANS

Oh, I read your post wrong. Are you in a position to try and give up yet?
Old 03-12-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JEANS

Also I'd like to add that I am not bragging that things are going well.

I am so insecure as a person and have been through so much cr@p that I don't have much faith in myself and am worried I'll start drinking again.

As I don't go to a meeting I have no one to discuss my thoughts with which is why i'm here. I'm sorry if I'm coming across like i'm boasting. (or is my anxiety just setting in?)

The big bad world is seeming scary again
Old 03-12-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Random Guy

So if I understand this right you are glad that you got the job (good for you) but worried that the stress of a new job is going to make your anxiety come back which is causing you to be more anxious? It really sounds to me like you are putting the cart before the horse or running around in circules I guess you could say.

The way I see it is you are worried about something that may cause stress in the future, which is causing you to worry now. Man I can't think of a good clear way to express that. Let me try again.

New job ("could"=) stress later "possibility" of stress later (is =) stress now

Do you see the lack of logic in that you are getting youself all worked up now over something that might not happen, you might fall into that job better than a hot dog in a bun. Try to take it easier right now because if you continue to worry now you will already be more stressed when you do start the new job. If you can just think that things will go well then when you do start you will be more clear headed and better able to cope.

I don't know if any of that helped but I hope it did.

PS I am on no sleep and alot of caffeen so I take no offense if that made no sense.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JEANS

Thanks Insert, you made a lot of sense to me. Bascially I need to chill out and let it take it's course and not worry.

I think the fact that I'm doing something brave scares me because I've always been one to shy away from everything.

It means a lot to have help on here so thank you.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Random Guy

You're welcome and congrats on the job man let us know how it works out.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats Jean on your new job and turning your life around that is awesome!!! When you feel anxiety's creeping up try to take a deep breath and remember how well you have done. That in its self is a wonderful feeling.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think it's normal to get nervous and worried. I think it happens to almost everyone. Try to stick it out, it'll pass! At least you are trying, that's the important thing right? Good luck!!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I sort of tend to believe that the opportunity wouldn't have presented itself to you in a way you could accept it unless you were ready. That's so exciting! Like anything new, it's one step and a time. And everyone has been the "new guy". Plus look at all this discipline, hope and renewal you'll be bringing into the position. I think it's awesome. Great work! Enjoy the process and know that you are worthy of wonderful experiences.

xo
Old 03-13-2012, 02:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
JEANS

Thanks everyone for your kind words. If I was still drinking i'd let this anxiety ruin me but today I feel much better thanks to you guys
Old 03-13-2012, 02:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good luck.
Your doing the work . Your gaining control.
John.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the new job! I can see where you are coming from. I have always been a bit insecure myself. I have found that most everyone feels the same way, nervous about a new job that you might not feel totally confident about. But working through that fear, and coming out the other side is how people build confidence. It helps me to remember to breathe deeply when anxious, and to do my best.
a new chapter in life, always a bit scary for me, but remember you are as good as anyone else in the world, and you can work through it, and confidence will come.

best of everything to you!
chicory
Old 03-13-2012, 03:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

2 things help me deal with an anticipated stress like this, and I learned them both from horse training manuals :

1. Visualize success. Picture yourself at this job, being quietly competent. Picture yourself standing up straight, smiling, meeting people, helping them. coming home every day with a sense of having done well. Picture this: "satisfying work". What we visualize is very powerful. (Horses pick up on little tiny cues of body language, so if we are expecting a catastrophe it is more likely to happen; I think we are like this too.)

2. When an anxious thought invades you, shift your attention to your breathing. Breathe all the way in and exhale thoroughly. (Most of us are lightly panting most of the time and never completely exhale.) Take a number of these complete breaths to equal your current age. Concentrate on counting and breathing. By the time you have breathed your age, you WILL be calmer; I guarantee! (Horses can feel a rider's breath and they are calmed by regular complete breathing; so are we I believe.)

So there is a bit of canned training to apply to yourself! congratulations on your sobriety and best wishes in the new job! You will be brilliant.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Jeans-
I am so happy for you!! Sober and new job, SCORE!! I don't know if you are in AA but if so check out the 12 promises! Many more blessings to you!!!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

So how did it go at the new job?

Wishing you the best,
Old 03-15-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Be PROUD of yourself Jeans! They wouldn't have hired you if they didn't believe in you! I have taken a BIG fall from previous jobs as I got a 3rd DUI & lost my license. I have changed my lifestyle drastically and am learning to accept it. Faith has helped me out greatly (*& going to AA meetings)....
Old 03-15-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Congratulations! Let us know how it goes. I've really been impressed with my work performance since becoming sober. I certainly wasn't the same person at 75 days that I was at day zero.. I'm not the same person now that I was at day 75. Life is very fluid, always changing.. It sounds like you made an exciting decision (maybe you're just excited, not anxious! ), make the most of your new opportunities in life.. they'll keep coming!!