Notices

Just another first

Old 03-11-2012, 09:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LDT

Just another first

At 13 months and 10 days sober I thought I had pretty much been through most of the "firsts" a recovering alcoholic could go through: all holidays, summer vacations, parties, gigs (I'm a musician).....all without drinking. I survived a year of difficult extended family issues such as abuse and mental and physical illness....still didn't drink. I happily celebrated a daughter's college graduation and marriage while toasting with ice tea and water, and danced at her reception until the last note of the last song. This year I sailed, sunned, sang, fished, swam,....all sober. A year ago I had so dreaded all those inevitable firsts, but I not only survived.... I THRIVED! Alcohol was definitely in my past........except it really never completely is.

So today caught me off guard a little. I attended a musical with my daughter. I was really enjoying myself, as the production was top notch, held in the most charming venue. And then it was intermission and it seemed to me everyone
in the theater went to the lobby to drink of glass of wine. I instantly felt as if I had seen an old boyfriend. All the old memories of countless glasses of wine consumed during hundreds of intermissions came flooding back to me. Oh, I was not tempted to have "just one glass" because I know with certainty where that always leads....but it's just that I REMEMBERED. And just for a few minutes I let myself be a little sad over the breakup with that "boyfriend". As with any bad relationship, the passage of time tends to smooth the rough edges....we will remember happier moments, even if they only happened in our imagination.

Another lesson in my sober journey.....I know this won't be my last "first". But at this point I know I'm strong enough to handle the next one!
Old 03-11-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow. Thanks for the post. I'm 6 days sober and have ALOT of first to come. You just informed me that they never really stop coming....good to know. Congratulations on your soberiety.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wine is like Casablanca. (At least that is how is seems to me) Of all the lounges in all the theaters, and wine had to walk into mine... Ok, a little silly, but this is how it feels to me
Old 05-01-2013, 09:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know what you are saying, LDT. I was just thinking in similar terms today: there is (was) something almost perfect about a nice beer and a hot dog at the ballpark, and I will never have that again. As you say, kind of sad... but that's just the way it has to be.

Remember that virtually all of the people in that theater lobby (or at the ballgame), excluding a few percent who might be problem drinkers, could simply put down their drink half-finished and walk away and not really think twice about it. I could never do that.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Awesome story LDT,
Your strength is inspiring...thanks.