SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Sobriety Reading List (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/251296-sobriety-reading-list.html)

GonzoTaxi 03-11-2012 06:26 PM

Sobriety Reading List

Hey guys,

Does anybody have any good books they can recommend about sobriety? They could be in the form of fiction, non-fiction, memoir (anybody read Dry by Augesten Burroughs?) or self-help. I'd like to have a few books that I can turn to for inspiration when I feel like I could use help or am in the mood to reflect. Suggestions?

Thanks
xGonzo

ChickenStu 03-11-2012 06:33 PM

Read Stephen King. He's one of us and it comes through in his writing. I actually found him a source of surprising comfort in the early days.

Sapling 03-11-2012 07:01 PM

This is my favorite book...

The text of Alcoholics Anonymous

sugarbear1 03-11-2012 07:05 PM

There's a Book Forum if you scroll down from the Newcomer's Forum or Forum page!

FlyerFan 03-12-2012 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by ChickenStu (Post 3316956)
Read Stephen King. He's one of us and it comes through in his writing. I actually found him a source of surprising comfort in the early days.

Really? I did not know he was. :) Thank you for that information.

DarkDays 03-12-2012 05:12 AM

Jason vale Kick the drink easily.

Much like allan Carr Easyway.

Both very good, if your looking for Non aa help.

Scolova 03-12-2012 05:13 AM

Just saw this man highlighted on the local news, he had spoke at Lakewood Church in Houston... it sounds very similar to AA's forgiveness message (+):
Let It Go: Forgive So You Can Be Forgiven by (Bishop) T.D. Jakes

Amazon.com: Let It Go: Forgive So You Can Be Forgiven (9781416547297): T.D. Jakes: Books

LDT 03-12-2012 05:19 AM

Gonzo...I've read Burroughs' memoir, 'Dry' ( twice ). It's a great and hilarious read. If HE can get sober, anyone can. Here are also some of my favorites: 'Drinking, a Love Story', Caroline Knapp......'Any Woman's Blues', Erica Jong.......'Leave the Light on', Jennifer Storm......'The Long Run', (Kindle single) Mishka Shubaly.........'The Alcoholism and Addiction Cure , Chris Prentiss .... Happy Reading!

GonzoTaxi 03-12-2012 05:33 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the recommendations. I was surprised about Stephen King too. When I googled him I found this article about famous literary alcoholics which some of you might find interesting. Warning: frank discussion of heavy drinking, it could be triggering for some, inspiring for others.

WHEN NOVELISTS SOBER UP | More Intelligent Life

bmwcycle 03-12-2012 08:42 AM

A drinking life by Pete Hamill is a great read.

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Clapton By Eric Clapton

Best of luck,

Peter G 03-12-2012 09:34 AM

A few you might enjoy (excuse any repetition)...

A New Earth - Ekhart Tolle

A Million Little Pieces - James Frey (this book was busted as embellished and NOT a true autobiographical account. however it's still nothing short of brilliant from my POV)

Drinking: A Love Story - Caroline Knapp

Scar Tissue - the Anthony Kiedis autobiography

One Breath At A Time - Kevin Griffin

A New Pair Of Glasses - Chuck C

The Zen Of Recovery - Mel Ash (Still waiting on this myself, but it comes highly recommended)

A Family's Legacy of Writing, Drinking and Surviving - Dan Fante

GonzoTaxi 03-12-2012 10:19 AM

Thank you guys! I think I'm going to start with Drinking: A Love Story and go from there.

Just got back from a 2 mile jog and feeling great, I hope spring has sprung where you all are!!

Elisabeth888 03-12-2012 10:49 AM

I am reading The Zen of Recovery and it is good!

I enjoyed one called Diary of an Alcoholic Housewife. Dry is great. Burroughs is one of my favorite authors.

I don't know if you have a kindle or not, but I search under Hazelden and they have a ton of biographies listed.

Oh, Undrunk is awesome too.

Stang 03-12-2012 10:51 AM

Living Sober Sucks:Mark Tuschel
Okay I Quit Now What? Mark Tuschel
I know the author personally.

Rational Recovery by Jack Trimpey

Elisabeth888 03-12-2012 10:53 AM

12 Stupid Things that Mess Up Recovery by Allen Berger

LDT 03-12-2012 11:20 AM

Gonzo.....let me know what you think of "Drinking, a Love Story". It's one of my favorites.... Oh I forgot about Stang's recommendation of 'Living Sober Sucks'. That's also worth a look. (Note to Peter G.....James Frey actually busted HIMSELF by confessing his book was not a true autobiography. )

DoogieM 03-12-2012 11:27 AM

I've read Dry by Augusten Burroughs and Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp. I thought they were both excellent. I especially loved Caroline Knapp's book. Like many of us alcoholics, she was such a warm and sensitive person. Her deep feelings and emotions come flying off the pages. So sad that she died so young (lung cancer).

Peter G 03-12-2012 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by LDT (Post 3317773)
...Note to Peter G.....James Frey actually busted HIMSELF by confessing his book was not a true autobiography.

I see. Always thought Oprah had something to do with it. Some sort of controversy there that I've entirely forgotten lol. Did he perhaps admit to it on an Oprah show? I'm trying to wire the synapses together right now and remember, but alas, I was quite stupified drunk back when that book was released, so I think I'm at a loss haha.

The book was awesome none-the-less. :)

BTW, Drinking: A Love Story is absolutely spot on. An absolute must read IMO. The alcoholic experience has never been described quite that poignantly. So bittersweet that Caroline Knapp sobered up only to die in her early 40's from lung cancer.

GonzoT, good job picking this one first, you will really appreciate it.

sugarbear1 03-12-2012 02:17 PM

Not sure if he said it wasn't true on her (Oprah) show, but he (Jim Frey) had told her it was true on the show; she didn't like being lied to.

UpperbucksAAguy 03-12-2012 02:55 PM

Ernest Kurtz, The Collected Ernie Kurtz