Notices

contemplating going to AA

Old 03-11-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

contemplating going to AA

I've never been to AA before and so far im in the process of quitting alcohol via marking days off on a calender .i defiently would like to go to and AA meeting could anyone share with me their first time experiences so i know what its like maybe that'll help me boost up enough confidence to actually go ..like what should i expect walking into it ?..ive looked locations near me and i was surprised at all the spots near me that had AA. i guess living in a small town like i do produces alcoholics HA
Old 03-11-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I really liked my first meeting...I left there with hope...Something I had none of....I'm coming up on nine months without a drink...I did what I had to do...Went to meetings..Got a sponsor and worked the 12 steps...Here is a website that gives you a good idea what to expect for your first meeting...

Your First AA Meeting<
Old 03-11-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
So it goes

ressurect
It is a good idea, AA gives you another tool in your cabinet to use against alcohol. You can say something at your first meeting , or you can just listen. You will be surprised how powerful it is to be amongst people like you (you may or may not decide whether you are alcoholic if you go, but I guess that you are on SR for a reason)
Old 03-11-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i was a bit scared,definitely hesitant, and in somewhat of a haze at my first meeting. But that was over 16 yrs ago. I still go 2 or more times a week [AA or NA] I did same as Sapling- meetings, sponsors, steps.

Have a Great Big Life nowadays. See plenty of other folk at those meetings who have Lives as well...
Old 03-11-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Stop contemplating and take action. Go to a meeting, you might be glad you did.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been to several meetings in several cities/states. They are all a little different. But share the same message. I don't use AA anymore but some of them folks have been clean for years and they credit the program for helping them. Just avoid the coffee lol.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
MINEr

I had the benefit of a brother who went into AA eight years ahead of me, so I knew it worked. Still, I was very nervous and hesitant at my first two meetings, then at the third, I heard what I needed to ensure me that I was home, not so much a specific thing, but something I could relate to and cling on to until I was able to get some step work under my belt.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Random Guy

I know that I remember a thread that was kind of a collection of peoples first AA visits but I can't seem to find it right now if I do I will send it your way.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Your first time will be a little bit scary if you don't know what to expect. It always is for anything I suppose. But don't be afraid. First find a meeting at a time and place that works for you, show up a little bit early that is always a good idea. (you can help set up the chairs or put out the books if you want, but you don't have to) People will come in and chit chat with each other before the meeting starts. Then when it starts they'll ask if it is anyones first meeting, just say "hi my name is _____ and i think I may be an alcholic" or whatever else you may want to say. They will welcome you and that's really all you have to say unless you want to share more with them.

For my first few weeks I just sat and listened to people, but now I am so comfortable with my groups that I find myself sharing once in a while.