Notices

WTF Bartender

Old 03-10-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

WTF Bartender

So I went out to a bar tonight that my boyfriend had blocked off for his birthday. I was a little anxious about it, especially because there would be a lot of people I haven't seen in ages there, but was feeling okay. BF made a point to let me know that he would be my "coach" and if I wanted to leave at anytime that was fine. Surely this would be fine!

Ordered some virgin strawberry juice thing, had already told the bartender I was drinking, and the dude makes it with about 3 shots of vodka! Which I did not see him do! So I discovered this when I had a mouthful full of this vodka-y strawberry concoction. NOT COOL. I grabbed a shotglass off the bar, spit that **** out, pretty much ran out the door and went to the corner shop to by myself a bottle of seltzer water and a bag of gummy worms to chew on furiously.

Has this ever happened to you guys?! I was so upset I practically started crying. Today was my 28th day sober and I've got damn vodka in my mouth! Even though I didn't actually drink it, I feel frustrated and set back. Like I can't actually just be a normal person in a bar who happens to not drink. Gah!
Old 03-10-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Congratulations on the 28 days, and fantastic job on not continuing with the drink.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

For future reference, it's a good idea to smell your drinks in a situation like that, or stick to simple tonic water or soda.

Congratulations on 28 days sober!
Old 03-10-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you are totally allergic to haircuts, you shouldn't be anywhere near a barbershop. Full stop. However if you do, it's likely best to - at the very least - stay clear of the folks that have scissors in their hands and hair at their feet.

Guess I'm hinting this: a bartender can't screw up a bottle of Perrier or mineral water. Might be best if you absolutely can't stay out of clubs, just stick to drinks that come in bottles with screw-on tops, pictures of mountains or waterfalls, and water inside. Save the strawberry slushy-like thingies for your own blender.

Good job on 28 days. Hope this situation illuminates how precarious bars and pubs can be when you're newly sober.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 28 days!! I'm sorry the bartender gave you vodka, but really proud of how you didn't follow through and drink it.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-10-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

The first time I ran in to a similar situation I had hastily eaten a liqueur filled chocolate. I was concerned. so asked someone I trusted about it. They asked if I had tried to ingest alcohol. I said of course not. Their response was “don’t worry about it”.

Don’t worry about it. But as mentioned, beware what you order in a bar.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peter G View Post
If you are totally allergic to haircuts, you shouldn't be anywhere near a barbershop. Full stop.
I'm not planning on moving to Saudi Arabia anytime soon so the choice is either to sit in my apartment or learn to live in a society in which alcohol is omnipresent. Also, there aren't any open container laws where I am so there is just as much booze on the streets as there is in bars and clubs.

I thought it was a safe situation because the reason I had this strawberry thing is that we actually had a long conversation specifically about my not drinking and what he could make that had no alcohol in in. Then I guess he got distracted and made the drink with vodka mechanically.

Whatever, the point is: I'm doing this to stop myself from drinking, not anybody else. And even if somebody literally puts vodka in my mouth, it's up to me to spit it out.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Bars and those who work in them are there to sel a product.
If you do insist on going then smell before you drink anything.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Good for you, and congrats on your sobriety.
It has even happened to children at some of those half-n-half restaurant-bars... like mentioned above I only order water, iced tea or coke (and i smell it first every time.)
Old 03-10-2012, 06:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I go to bars to meet friends and enjoy live entertainment all the time. (And if I were you, I wouldn't swap Paris for Riyadh, either. ) Just keep an eye on the bartender in the future; I'm sure you figured that out on your own already. Like the others said, when in doubt, give it a sniff.

But what I really want to say is this: I think it's awesome how you responded—no hesitation, no internal debate, no thought of using someone else's mistake as an excuse to drink. Early days or not, you sound like a non-drinker to me. Great work!
Old 03-10-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Good for you for spitting it out. I actually had lunch in an irish pub today and I did not drink, nor did I intend to so I stuck to soda.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations on 28 days!

Sponsor and I went out to a restaurant for coffee and cake on our Friday meeting night. We sat in the bar section as it was very busy.....this chocolate "cake" had: chocolate cake, chocolate cream and like 3 more chocolates (sauce, cookie crumbles and another layer) in that cake with some whipped cream on top!

In a bar type scene, I prefer a bottled drink over a glass of something.....
Old 03-10-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm not planning on moving to Saudi Arabia anytime soon so the choice is either to sit in my apartment or learn to live in a society in which alcohol is omnipresent.
I'm not either...not into women dressed like Darth Vader.
A friend of mine in Texas had this happen. He asked if I thought he had grounds to sue...yes I know you don't plan on suing them. Anyway I said "you can sue the Pope for being Catholic but winning is another story. Go in a club you know this can happen".
Personally I don't go to bars anymore. Nothing but trouble and people wanting money.
ETA: Damn Good on you for not using it as an excuse to get drunk.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GonzoTaxi View Post
I'm not planning on moving to Saudi Arabia anytime soon so the choice is either to sit in my apartment or learn to live in a society in which alcohol is omnipresent. Also, there aren't any open container laws where I am so there is just as much booze on the streets as there is in bars and clubs.

I thought it was a safe situation because the reason I had this strawberry thing is that we actually had a long conversation specifically about my not drinking and what he could make that had no alcohol in in. Then I guess he got distracted and made the drink with vodka mechanically.

Whatever, the point is: I'm doing this to stop myself from drinking, not anybody else. And even if somebody literally puts vodka in my mouth, it's up to me to spit it out.
Sorry if my post made you feel like you had to defend your position or take a firm stance on anything at all. Absolutely no need to convince me how you plan to approach your own sobriety. What you're doing is currently working and that is fantastic. I'll add that I'm certainly not saying you should avoid alcohol forever, or even that it's possible to do so in society today. Please understand, I'm an alcoholic yes, but also a working musician of 25+ years. Painfully aware that it's not always possible or prudent to avoid booze. BTW I've played shows in Saudi Arabia, it's actually quite nice, once you get past the heat and all that pesky Sharia Law stuff lol.

What I am suggesting, respectfully, is that there are many alcoholics and addicts who absolutely shouldn't be in proximity to booze so soon after quitting, because the problem of alcoholism is - for many - insidious. 'Unintended consequences' and all that good stuff.

There are also a great many alcoholics, plenty here at SR, who have admitted that dangerous relapses occurred only as a direct result of attending social events such as pubs, bars, BBQ's, house parties, e.t.c... TOO SOON after getting sober. I'm one of those many. And then there are those who were warned to stay away, didn't, and subsequently came here posting in a state of abject shame and misery because they glossed over strikingly similar points to the ones I made previously. Chalk me up as one of the very many who have accomplished that feat as well.

And of course, there are those who aren't affected in the least by bars, BBQ's, and the like, even on Day 1 of sobriety. Personally, I've learned to err on the side of caution.

For some, timing is everything, for others not so much. I can't possibly know your propensity either way as I don't know your story at all (minus a cool bike ride through Paris ). So please do excuse, no judgment here whatsoever, only trying to lay out some experiential facts in the hopes that it might help you in the future.

However you decide to run with the sober ball GT, good luck, Godspeed, and great job spitting out that crap once you realized what it was. You did extremely well. Not sure I would have fared that well early in my sobriety.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Some people in my AA group would consider that a relapse. I'm not sure if I would or not. But the fact is you consumed a small amount of Vodka in a bar. Some people do not take alcoholism to be a disease (like the bartender). Perhaps he even thought it was a joke. What if you had been on Anatbuse & got violently sick?? Not sure how law suits go in France but here in USA I would sue! Please be cautious in the future.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hang in there...... I am back day 1....when I had more than a year being sober I was so happy. I have been miserable for years since drinking again not realizing it and when I had gotten a good sum of money my alcoholism kicked in full steam. This has been a really bad run and I am desperate to quit and leave this thing. Why? but the healing is on the way..it is worth fighting for. I am in my 40's something has got to give. Hang in there it's worth it..I look forward to being sober 28 days!
Old 03-10-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard Paralegal!! Having heaps of money was always a great reason for me to drink like a fish as well.

Lots of great folks around these parts. Congrats on Day 1. Can't wait to see your Day 100 post (and beyond)
Old 03-10-2012, 08:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
LDT

The church I attend uses grape juice during communion. At a funeral for a friend ( from another religion) I took communion and immediately realized it was real wine. I was about one month into my sobriety. At first I freaked a little, felt a pang of guilt....even though it was the tiniest sip. But I stopped feeling guilty when I realized that it was not my INTENT to drink. And it sounds like it wasn't yours either. While it's certainly easier to relapse in a bar than it is in a church, I personally do not feel either one of us did so. Be vigilant, though. I have over a year of sobriety now......and so will you. I can tell.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You don't go in a bar when you're newly sober.There may come a time when you will go into one if you have a legitimate reason for doing so.Ask your sponsor about this.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Question Re:WTF Bartender.

I'm sorry to hear about your misadventure "GT". It does make you wonder though, doesn't it? Not only does it question the motives of that one particular bartender but bars in general. I guess this falls under the category of "barroom awareness", so be careful "GT" and be safe. Congrats on your achievement.