Notices

This Website = An Inspiration

Old 03-10-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This Website = An Inspiration

Hello,

Im a 20 year old British male who has been struggling with my alcohol intake since a troubling relationship breakup a year and a half ago. I have suffered from serious depression as a result of said problems for about a year and a half now, but recently I have turned some things around, getting top grades in my University Degree and finding a new girlfriend who actually cares about me for who I am, not what she wants me to be.

This is a forum for alcoholics, and i'm not sure if I come into this category, but chances are I do. I struggle to sleep without a beer or two, not damaging I know. I am on anti depressants throughout the day but the temptation to drink is still there. The promising thing is that i pretty much never drink during the day, alcohol is solely a reason to sleep for me, a release from the torments of the day, but still, I would like to stop this 'habit' I seem to have developed. Nobody can not be worried when the first thing you think about on a holiday away from home is 'How will i get to sleep tonight?!'

As a 20 yearold independent man, nobody knows about my problem, but I feel writing it down could help alot, so I thank you for your help in advance. This forum has proved an inspiration to me in the past, and already I thank you for the help you have given me and others.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grindilow View Post
As a 20 yearold independent man, nobody knows about my problem, .
Welcome Grindilow....I have to ask you...Do you consider alcohol to be a problem?...I mean if it's a couple beers at night to help you unwind and sleep...That shouldn't be too hard to put down..true?
Old 03-10-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Welcome Grindilow....I have to ask you...Do you consider alcohol to be a problem?...I mean if it's a couple beers at night to help you unwind and sleep...That shouldn't be too hard to put down..true?
It's something that's bothered me and gets me down for a couple of years. Most nights I have a pint or two, but even that is difficult for me, I have to rigidly say to myself I am having no more, no matter how bad the temptation gets. Added to this, the depression I suffered has left me with quite severe anxiety at times, which doesn't help my already precarious living habits.

I'm aware that this is an AA forum and that some of you may think my issue inferior to yours, but still, I have a problem with alcohol I'd rather not, and its one I would like to control, rather than the other way round.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank the community for helping me previously, you provide inspiration for many
Old 03-10-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not at all...And it's not an AA Forum...You have something worth addressing...
Old 03-10-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have you tried going periods of time..Say 90 days without it?
Old 03-10-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The reason I ask...Is I couldn't do it....I'd be one miserable human being if I tried....But I know I am an alcoholic...And I needed a recovery program to fix that..I drank a little more than you do...But that's not important..
Old 03-10-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome, Grindilow!

Have you asked your prescribing doctor if alcohol interferes with the antidepressants?

Read the book Alcoholics Anonymous, available in print and in an audio version online. See if you relate to that book in any way.

Only you can decide if there's a problem or not.

Again, welcome to SR! Glad you are here!!
Old 03-10-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I used to drink alcohol to help me sleep too (that was my thinking and rationalizing of why I drank), my drinking gradually got worse and worse over the years.

Stop drinking now or have some time sober as Sapling says while your still young, then you'll be able to really evaluate your relationship with alcohol.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

Please see if this link is useful for you.....

Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

Please do check with your doctor ...mixing alcohol with some med's is very dangerous.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

Grindilow
a question for you
say you are laying in bed and cannot get to sleep.Whats going on then?

I know some people today,and I was that way,that when I laid down to go to sleep,my body was very tired,but my mind was racing around thinking of stuff.
Is that what is going on with you?

In my case that was excally what was happening.My mind was obsessing on things keeping me awake.I would stay awake for hours.We called it alcoholic insomnia.That was some years ago too.It is ok today after the 12 steps and if I do have a little trouble getting to sleep,I lay in bed counting my blessings,not sheep or my problems.Puts me to sleep every time.
sober- I might add
Old 03-11-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Grindilow, you sound like me 10 years ago. I had a busy mind and mild depression and alcohol helped me sleep. I have never drank during the day (well, late afternoons sometimes) and it was always manageable...until it wasn't. My drinking got progressively worse and unhealthy without me even realising it. The thing was I remember talking to people about it in my early 20's and I even bought a few books on alcoholism. I don't know why I didn't stop then and I wish I had. I believe if you're asking about it then it probably is or will become a problem. One thing is certain - you'll come to no harm if you give up alcohol. And there's plenty of other things you can try to help you sleep. Good luck x
Old 03-11-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you get help from this forum. It's very common for alcoholics to suffer from other mental illnesses like bipolar disorder and depression. And remember, alcohol is a depressant. It's also progressive.