Notices

Just looking for some info RE: Detox

Old 03-08-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just looking for some info RE: Detox

Ok, so I was sober for 67 days and, unfortunately, have been drinking for the last 14 days. I want to stop again, but am I ok as far as getting the DTs or other severe withdrawl symptoms go? It's scary stuff and I am worried.

Last time I quit I had librium and I currently have a prescription for Valium (anxiety). I have not taken a valium on any day that I drank in the last 2 weeks.

Now, I normally get the shakes around 2-3pm and feel like crap all day until I have a drink.

Please help. I hate being back here and want to get better, but am scared.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

good job on coming back here... maybe go and see your doctor. Not really sure what to recommend but wanted to let you know you have support here.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think withdrawals and their severity are different for everyone. I can tell you that I also relapsed after 2 months of sobriety in September for about 3 weeks. I was able to detox at home with anti-anxiety meds (Ativan) although I realize most people will tell you to seek medical treatment. When I relapsed, my drinking wasn't daily or as intense as it had been when I decided to get sober, but I was definitely headed that way. I also believe that with each detox, withdrawals get worse. It's good that you're recognizing the problem now before it gets out of control. Again, it's different for everyone but anti-anxiety meds and plenty of water helped me detox on my own(the 2nd time around; the 1st was in the hospital). I did have my sister with me (just in case I did need medical attention) so that may be a good idea... Not being completely solo.

Best of luck!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
01/28/2017

best to talk to a doctor. if you have been drinking heavily enough then DTs can certainly come back, sometimes even worse.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

We aren't allowed to give medical advice here, so I'm not sure you're going to find the exact answer to your question.

I would definitely recommend seeing your doctor again though, as it seems that withdrawals get worse the more times you put your body through them.

Best wishes
Old 03-08-2012, 09:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Oh, and it's completely normal to be scared. We've all been there, man. I know it's terrifying, but after you get through it you can return to sanity.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Like was said, we can't give medical advice.

You should talk with a doctor. Alcohol withdraw can be dangerous and it is even possible to die from it.