Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else thankful to have been an alcoholic?

Notices

Old 03-10-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Member of the RESISTANCE

I'm not grateful to be an alcoholic BUT I'm grateful to know what it is that I am up against, and for having the tools and support network to fight it. It's thanks to these that I'm almost up to two years. And that's a miracle.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

BTSO:

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.

It is not objective: it is my experience.

I have great admiration for the human spirit and it's ability to perservere even after life's darkest moments.

For me, it is the preferable choice as opposed to crying over spilt milk.

I am always moving forward and on to the next best thing. And it was my fifteen-year downward fall into the abyss roughly two decades ago that keeps me moving forward today.

I cannot say with certainty if I would have been the same way today had I not experienced what I did all those years ago, but who is to say?

But I believe it with all my heart.

I am the sum of my experience, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wellwisher View Post
BTSO:

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.

It is not objective: it is my experience.

I have great admiration for the human spirit and it's ability to perservere even after life's darkest moments.

For me, it is the preferable choice as opposed to crying over spilt milk.

I am always moving forward and on to the next best thing. And it was my fifteen-year downward fall into the abyss roughly two decades ago that keeps me moving forward today.

I cannot say with certainty if I would have been the same way today had I not experienced what I did all those years ago, but who is to say?

But I believe it with all my heart.

I am the sum of my experience, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I think it's almost an innate survival mechanism that's part of the human psyche. Rather than going off the deep end when tragedy strikes we try to find whatever good there is in the situation.

I find myself doing this very thing with a lot of different situations. The problem is that often, below the surface I come to realize that I'm only bull****ting myself. The bad situation doesn't always get better with a lot of sugar coating.

Look at rationalization and how we tend to use that to the nth degree as a society and as individuals. I often think that it is these survival mechanisms that keep us all out of the looney bin.

I agree Wellwisher, yours is the sane healthy approach. It sure beats wearing a straight jacket and living in padded rooms!
Old 03-10-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

No I hate being an alcoholic. What other disease causes people to steal from their loved ones, verbally abuse others, drive in a uncontrollable manner, panhandle, attempt suicide ect..... I have done all of these things. I am finally starting to realize why Alcoholism is still stigmitized.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Post Re:Is anyone else thankful to have been an alcoholic?

The words "To have been an alcoholic" seem a little misleading to me. I never really understood what that meant, actually -that we were somehow over our alcoholism, I mean. To me it seems like a slippery slope, which could eventually lead us past the point of no return. So I try to be careful when considering the prospect of being over anything, especially our alcoholism, and whether we actually graduated somehow from the program.

Do I regret my decision to drink alcoholically in the first place? Yes, undoubtedly. Am I grateful to be an alcoholic today? Yes, regretfully. But I don't regret the sober decisions I need to make every day, or recovery either. It was only through their ongoing support that I finally discover my true calling in life and without their continued efforts today, life would seem vacant somehow. And that, my friends, is how the process unfolded for me. The work "AA" calls us to do is never finished, so buckle up my friends and carry on.

~God Bless~
Old 03-11-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

BTSO:

The short answer for me is that in my sober life, I now look at what I am doing and analyzing my situation to see the part I played in it. Everything I do has a cause and an effect, and it is up to me to try to keep it on the straight and narrow.

Some things in my past I had absolutely no control over, like growing up in an alcoholic home. I had to learn how to deal with problem resolution without booze, to instill confidence where there was once none other than the beer-muscles I would develop (and which would soon fail me) when drinking, to learn that I wasn't stupid, that I deserved better, etc. I also learned compassion for my parents; after all, they grew up in the same type of environment.

Some situations have no lesson in them; only the comfort in knowing that you survived in spite of it; that the situation was not the do-all; end-all definition of who you are. I have learned I am a survivor.

I needed help with a counselor to get through a lot of this: my own insight kept me sick. I used my recovery program from the day I put the bottle down, treaded water by just doing things differently for some time, and then looked back with a therapist to sift through the dung pile that was my life up until that point.

Which leads me back to the fact that I am a grateful, recovering alcoholic. Who knows, maybe without intervention, I would have married another alcoholic or addict, had a boatload of kids that I would make miserable, and the fun continues for generations to come....
Old 03-11-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Oh god no. In my experience active alcoholism is the most self-destructive action there is. It has taken years of my life and I still deal with the "ism" on a daily basis. How wonderful to have never had this curse.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Celebrating Recovery

I never thought I would say this but I am SO grateful that I turned out to be an alcoholic. It has given me a perspective I never would have had otherwise, it makes me grateful for the things that normies take for granted, it has given me a chace to work on myself in a way that normies don't have to. I am utterly grateful because as much as alcoholism took at the time, my experience has given back to me in SPADES. Yup, never thought I'd say that but it's true
Old 03-11-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

I'm with some of the other posters .. I am very grateful for the tools I've learned through recovery.

It has made me approach life in a much more mature yet pragmatic way. I've stopped trying to control everything and find that I am much more at peace with myself. I also now have tools to deal with life's normal ups and downs (as well as the big disappointments). I didn't have these skills before.

But of course, I wish I could have learned them without the alcoholism.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by MrDavid View Post
The words "To have been an alcoholic" seem a little misleading to me. I never really understood what that meant, actually - that we were somehow over our alcoholism, I mean. To me it seems like a slippery slope, which could eventually lead us past the point of no return.
This is congruent with my own understanding. Alcoholics, by definition, drink alcohol, and I no do not drink alcohol anymore, nor will I ever. Therefore, I am not an alcoholic. If I started thinking I was an alcoholic, that wouldn't correlate with my reality, and I might get to wondering why I'm not knocking back a few. A slippery slope? You decide...
Old 03-11-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
I returned to my authentic, original self, the one that existed before I started living a perverse and degenerate lifestyle that was perhaps not even fit for an animal.
I quite often revel in the nostalgic feeling of my youth these days. I think of how much fun I used to have when I was a youth and had yet to discover alcohol. I feel like I'm getting a chance to re-live those days in some way.

I'm not re-born or awakened either. I'm slowly returning to the person that I always was.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Well I'm grateful that 100 odd people wrote a book and gave me a vision beyond just not drinking .....
I no longer regret 99 percent of the damage I caused ...sure I've had occasions where I slip into some morbid reflection ...but generally my life is about now ..the present .
I'm certainly grateful for my new out look and a settled mind .
I'm totally grateful for the ripple effects of me no longer being a whirl wind and seeing family relaxed and happy to be in my company .
Old 03-12-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

My drinking was way out of control for 16 months. 6 weeks sober I'm so disappointed I wasted 16 months of my life!! I can also see what your saying tho
Old 03-12-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Be mindful that in the first few weeks, your emotions may be very up and down, not every day is going to be a great day. But yes there are things I have learned I don't think I would've otherwise, through this affliction - that's being philosophical about it, it's a hell of a way to learn how to be appreciative and grateful, to be less self focused and more accepting. But I get totally what you are saying about being grateful for the simple, humble things that most people take for granted.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewMe11109 View Post
I'm with some of the other posters .. I am very grateful for the tools I've learned through recovery.

It has made me approach life in a much more mature yet pragmatic way. I've stopped trying to control everything and find that I am much more at peace with myself. I also now have tools to deal with life's normal ups and downs (as well as the big disappointments). I didn't have these skills before.

But of course, I wish I could have learned them without the alcoholism.
So, your answer is actually no, no?

Although, in fairness you did not say you were grateful to have been an alcoholic, but that you were grateful for the tools you've learned BECAUSE you had become an alcoholic.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:51 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wellwisher View Post
BTSO:

The short answer for me is that in my sober life, I now look at what I am doing and analyzing my situation to see the part I played in it. Everything I do has a cause and an effect, and it is up to me to try to keep it on the straight and narrow.

Some things in my past I had absolutely no control over, like growing up in an alcoholic home. I had to learn how to deal with problem resolution without booze, to instill confidence where there was once none other than the beer-muscles I would develop (and which would soon fail me) when drinking, to learn that I wasn't stupid, that I deserved better, etc. I also learned compassion for my parents; after all, they grew up in the same type of environment.

Some situations have no lesson in them; only the comfort in knowing that you survived in spite of it; that the situation was not the do-all; end-all definition of who you are. I have learned I am a survivor.

I needed help with a counselor to get through a lot of this: my own insight kept me sick. I used my recovery program from the day I put the bottle down, treaded water by just doing things differently for some time, and then looked back with a therapist to sift through the dung pile that was my life up until that point.

Which leads me back to the fact that I am a grateful, recovering alcoholic. Who knows, maybe without intervention, I would have married another alcoholic or addict, had a boatload of kids that I would make miserable, and the fun continues for generations to come....

This post really got me thinking, especially this part "Some situations have no lesson in them; only the comfort in knowing that you survived in spite of it; that the situation was not the do-all; end-all definition of who you are. I have learned I am a survivor."

In my own case I often wasted too much time trying to come up with rationalizations as to why really tragic things happened in my life. Often there was no rhyme or reason as to why these things happened. Life just deals you the short straw every now and then and trying to find cause and effect in some things only tends to drive you crazy. Deep down you know that your rationalizations are untrue and you only serve to beat your head against a brick wall, prolonging the pain.

Maybe that's as much a part of life as anything else, learning that acceptance is often the best solution, you can't justify crazy with crazy it just doesn't work. Don't know if I'm making any sense but thanks for posting that Wellwisher, it really made me think about some things.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:40 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Yes, bc I am compassionate, passionate, sensitive, and non judgmental. I can understand the pain of others and I can relate to other people better esp those who have struggled through hard times. Some of the strongest people I know have dealt with alcoholism so going through struggles has made me stronger.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by eJoshua View Post
If i wasn't an alcoholic I would never have gotten recovered.
I am grateful to have been a practicing alcoholic. I learned some things about suffering I never could have learned any other way.

I am grateful to have been a recovering alcoholic. I learned some things about myself I never could have learned any other way.

I am grateful to have been a recovered alcoholic. I learned some things about the meaning of life I never could have learned any other way.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

I will echo one thing: Thankful? I don't know.

Grateful: Most definitely.

It took me a while to get to this point. Drinking did cause a lot of havoc in my life. A lost job (almost 2), a failed marriage, a semi broken relationship with my mother...other things that I am still uncovering and attempting to repair what I can and accepting what I cannot.

Why am I grateful? First of all, the destruction I have caused in my "past life" has allowed me to appreciate how different my life is now. It's night and day. Yes, it was a struggle to get here. And it has made me appreciate it that much more. It also has allowed me to see myself in a different light. I feel....more aware, awakened. Working a program as many people do here, we know ourselves better than most people ever will (know themselves). The things we have to come face to face with, acknowledge and accept are things that most people wouldn't even think about. I am also SO grateful for the connections I have made, the friends, confidants I have encountered and made, the experiences we have shared with each other, tears, anguish, love, triumph...on such a deep level. What is amazing to me is that again, most people may only share these with a couple of people...we share these feelings more often than not with a group of people. And that camaraderie is nothing short of amazing.

Anyways, these are just a few things as to why I personally am so grateful that I am an alcoholic. Because if I were not, I never would have became a recovering alcoholic. As a result, I would have never experienced these gifts in life.

Even though I am not a religious person...I do believe that we can overcome what is put in front of us (whether you believe it was put in front of you for a "reason" or not) and reap amazing rewards under the right set of circumstances.

Last edited by LotusBlossom; 03-27-2012 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Typos...silly typos.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Yes.

If you're thankful after 13 days, imagine how thankful you'll be after a year.