Notices

Tell me why you DON'T drink?

Old 03-08-2012, 03:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
So it goes

I will get Dr Johnson onto it
"This is one of the disadvantages of wine. It makes a man mistake words for thoughts"
Old 03-08-2012, 03:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Stick it out
Old 03-08-2012, 05:28 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Because it sucks!
Old 03-08-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

For the same reason that I used to drink, because I'm an alcoholic.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Exactly. There are a million reasons why I don't want to. Yet, I still do. I don't get grouchy though and I don't hate the person I become. I feel great and laugh and relax. Although, I hate waking up in the middle of the night, restless, with a racing heart and dry mouth. It passes quickly and I don't really get hungover. But I definitely know you can smell it on me and I hate that for my kids.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Like a lot of people things just came to a head. I really just couldn't do it anymore. Once I stopped cold turkey I got very heavy depression and anxiety, contemplated suicide but never attempted thankfully. Never once during that ordeal did I want to drink. Couldn't stand to go through that again. That's why I quit.

I continue to not drink because...

1. I can't be that example to my kids. I refuse to be.
2. I don't want to be that broken, sad excuse for a man/father.
3. I refuse to die early due to a selfish addiction.
4. I've lost 34 pounds and continue to do so. Never been this skinny, running with it.
5. Failure simply isn't an option, I'm hitting my stride and not turning back.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Originally Posted by WineyWinerton View Post
Exactly. There are a million reasons why I don't want to. Yet, I still do. I don't get grouchy though and I don't hate the person I become. I feel great and laugh and relax.
I feel ya brother, I can't list why I DON'T drink but I can list why I want to stop.

I have no social life (all I do when not working is drink and watch movies).
I am really lazy/procrastinative and drinking just gives me an excuse for being more so.
I know I have to be doing some major damage to my health.
I so not think I am healthy mentaly and know this can't be helping.
I consider myself a very honest person and don't like it when I lie about my drinking.

I am going to stop now before I get carried away but I could go on for a while if I think about it long enough.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:28 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Because my life is un manageable when I'm drinking
Old 03-08-2012, 09:43 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by THEOjibway View Post
lol. . I DONT drink as well now because I have a love in my life whose never seen me drunk or abuse it and I NEVER want her to go through the pain I put my family through, she loves me today for who I am and not what I did in the past. She knows what I have done but seeing she has only known me sober... she still doesn't let that get in the way of what we have that is so special.
I wonder if that is why my XAH is sober now! I thought he owes me all the years I put up with him. I am glad she has not experience that pain because it is horrible and the scars stays there forever.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:59 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I don't drink because drinking a normal amount is impossible and drinking an abnormal amount makes me a crappy mother.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:15 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I become a guy I don't want to describe in very much detail, but can say things are better for everyone if he's not around.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
JEANS

I don't drink today because since I gave up alcohol, I am no longer depressed or anxious. I have more confidence and have managed to get a better job that I wouldn't have dared go for previously. I'm healthier, I enjoy life now and I get on with people better.

I have hundreds of other reasons but I'll keep it short
Old 03-09-2012, 05:59 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I do my best not to drink because even a small amount makes me feel poorly. Once I have any it's very hard to control amount and frequency. And finally, it just doesn't do anything for me these days.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by WineyWinerton View Post
I was mistaken when I asked, 'why you drink?'. A trip down memory lane, reminiscing about how good alcohol makes me/us feel is the last thing we need. Tell me why you DON'T drink! Tell me why I shouldn't.
I don't drink alcohol because I don't want to die an alcoholic death anymore. Those wants and desires are history and otherwise arrested and asleep. I say anymore because back in the day my drinking was alcoholic and my desires for alcohol were anything but alseep.

The hell would be worse then ever my returning to alcohol after 30 years of sober abstinence. Just answering the question fills me with power affirming my original want to not die as a drunk. That power of choice has never left me and has always served my purpose of staying not drunk. How sweet it always now is even when its not.

My forever quitting alcohol has turned out to be everything I could ever have dreamed it out to be. To give up all that which is the essense of me today for a certain drunken death makes me laugh out loud and ask: "I'm sorry, what was the question?!!"

---------

Why shouldn't YOU drink?

Well, if you gotta ask you're already in a dying world of pain and continual disappointment. I've been there too. No way out except by making a stand and choosing enough is enough and not another wasted moment in time of stupidly rehearsing for a happy life with alcohol that will never be up there in lights. The show is finally over and everybody is going home forevermore. Its a trainwreck and all the participants are fading to black. Game over. Last curtain call. Thanks for playin'. Dust to dust.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I don't drink because I am a sober alcoholic. I have too much too lose.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Tell me why you do and I'll show you the excuse of it.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I don't drink because its almost ruined my life too many times. I have too many painful memories from drinking that I won't be able to forget. It makes me reckless and I lose control of myself. Today I try to think of myself as a non-drinker because booze is poison.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I drank for 30+years and if you had asked me anytime during that period "Why do you drink"? I would have answered "Because it makes me feel good".

It was not until I experienced a Spiritual Awakening that I began to realize the real reason that I drank. It was because I was uncomfortable in my own skin sober. I could not see the real problem because all I knew was alcohol gave me the comfort that I was looking for all along.

The Spiritual Awakening released me from the constant discomfort and made sobriety worth having for the first time in my life. So long as I stay spiritually fit, nothing disturbs me enough that I feel like I am suffering. So long as I am not suffering, nothing worries me enough that I feel like I need a drink to relieve my suffering.

"In this life - pain is inevitable - suffering is optional".
Old 03-09-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Exactly what Boleo said. I don't drink because I can deal with my problems. I believe in myself and love myself. Still trying but that's the idea.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:19 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
instant

Because it makes me suffer and will kill me.