Notices

Scapegoating...

Old 03-10-2012, 01:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Post Re:Scapegoating...

I think society has elevated the term ‘scapegoat’ to a whole new meaning -Far more than originally intended, and beyond that of any alcoholic. Any misguided attempt to rationalize or normalize addictive behavior is of its own volition, a scapegoat. Something, society is famous for, isn’t it? If we, as alcoholics, ever took the side of society on the issue of our drinking, we'd still be in denial, wouldn't we? It's only when we discover the true nature of our malady, that the prospect of 'our alcoholism' becomes readily apparent. Something, society knows nothing about. It's the first paragraph in recovery 101, isn't it? Deflection mentality at its finest, I mean. Society may spin that web even further -because it still exists in a state of perpetual denial, but we don't have too. That page is only reserved for people who stopped questioning their own motives, and pointed the finger of blame elsewhere instead. If you're like me, you don't question the logistics of your situation anymore, but rather improve upon your spiritual conditioning and forgo altogether the same denial based rational society has ill conceived for centuries. I hope it remains that way for us, despite society’s ills.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I align with the understanding that as adults our problems are of our own making, that the responsibility for our errors is our own and cannot be excused simply by being an alcoholic.

Scapegoating responsibility is generally a newcomer thing. After we're sober a while it's difficult to blame a bad day on anyone other that the man in the mirror.