Notices

Finally pushed through

Old 03-06-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Smile Finally pushed through

Well, it wasn't easy, going back to AA after my relapses, but I did it, the traditional walk of shame. But everyone was nice to me. I shared about my resistance to coming to meetings, and about my relapses. I also shared very honestly about my lack of faith in an HP, God and my atheism. I am a bit worried that didn't go down too well, but I needed to say it - I feel a like hypocrite if I am not true to my beliefs - or lack thereof.

But all in all it was good to be back. I got a very nice woman's phone number, and shall go to meetings every night from now on, as I feel there is safety in numbers. For me my Higher Power is the group, but it's a strong power. And if that's all that it is that gets people well i.e: the sense of belonging to a group with the same problem, maybe I can be content with that.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I kinda annoys me how it's referred to as the walk of shame - it seems to be one of the smartest things we could do

great decision Sally

D
Old 03-06-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Excellent, Sally !!!

All the best.

Bob
Old 03-06-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA member

Wishing you well sally.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sally ... it's the walk of courage, not shame! Congratulations

When I first walked in the room several people told me not to worry about the "God" parts of the steps because that drives many people away from AA. What was stressed was: "The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking."

I'm sober 20 years and an agnostic; my sponsor has 26 years and is an atheist. I wasn't raised a Christian. This is New York and people are accepting of members' choices and differences. I have secular steps and I pray, just not to God. You can just refer to "my higher power" and be fine. For me GOD= group of drunks! Bill Wilson stresses "god ... of my understanding".
Old 03-06-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
once in a . . .

Keep Comin' Back!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I'm proud of you Sally. I know from experience it's not easy. It never easy. I've found that it's much easier to stay sober than to get sober.

Keep it up!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

bottoms

welcome back sally, It has taken me several times to get back and finally surrender and I see us both as being very fortunate to get back. Many of us on the frontlines still doing research do not make it back.

"The idea that somehow someday he will be able to control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinking"
Old 03-06-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good news from you Sally..
Old 03-06-2012, 09:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Good for you, well done! No shame in admitting your mistakes and owning up to them.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

WB Sally. One of my best buds in AA is an atheist and he is soon to pick up his 9 year coin. HP != God, at least not for all people. You can do it.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I have never heard of 'the walk of shame' at any meeting I have attended here in the states over the last 30+ years.

Maybe is a UK thing???

It is certainly NOT a 'walk of shame.' It is a walk back into the sunshine.

I am grateful that you made it back to a meeting and now seem commited to continue going.

Love and hugs,
Old 03-07-2012, 02:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
instant

Sally I admire your bravery for going and going back.

The God of my understanding is the Universe and everything in it. I do not go to AA and I do not regard myself as believing in God. In that sense it is very easy to connect with my higher power, I am surrounded by it, and immersed in it, I am (at a level unknown to me) part of it.

What is hard however is keeping that broad perspective that includes my higher power as I go through my daily life. I am working on it. It counteracts the self centred nature of our condition.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Cool No faith No Problem

I glad you were able to resolve some conflict you had with AA. That certainly was a big step in the right direction. Job well done!

Originally Posted by Sally
I also shared very honestly about my lack of faith in an HP, God and my atheism. I am a bit worried that didn't go down too well, but I needed to say it - I feel a like hypocrite if I am not true to my beliefs - or lack thereof.
(Bold font by Zencat)
I know firsthand of the utmost importance of being honest about my lack of belief. Being honest, from my perspective, is critical for successful recovery. Hypothetically I could imagine the extreme difficulty of a Christian going to the most available recovery program on the the planet only to find they had to abandon there faith in order to be recovered from alcoholism.

I too use AA as a kind of HP. For me its a great way to learn from example what to do and what not to do as to maintain my sobriety. The biggest challenge I have with AA is to maintain my sanity wile being an atheist in AA .