Notices

DUI This Morning

Old 03-06-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

DUI This Morning

No, not me. I was driving to the gym this morning and stopped at the dry cleaners on my way. There was a truck stopped across the street and there were two police cars (one in front of the vehicle and one behind). One officer was searching the truck, while the other two were talking to the driver, who was standing on the sidewalk behind the police car that was behind his truck. When I got out of the dry cleaners, I could see that the driver was swaying back and forth a bit while the officers were talking to him. Next thing I know the cops start to do the "Roadside Olympics" with this guy. Even from across the street it was obvious that he was VERY intoxicated. They gave him three tests then cuffed him.

I looked at the clock in my car and it was just past 7:30 am. Honestly, my first thought was, "who drinks at this hour?" Luckily, I was also the guy with the answer. Me! I used to drink at this hour, or at least be plenty drunk from the night before.

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Everything comes into our lives for a reason. It is up to us to be open to learn something from everything. My first thought was, "God, I am lucky this never happened to me." You see, the road on which the driver was pulled over, was on my way to the nearest liquor store. I have literally driven that roadway several hundred times while intoxicated. I don't know if it is luck or a guardian angel, or what, but I am EXTREMELY grateful that I never had such an experience.

I truly felt sorry for this gentleman as they cuffed him and put him in the back of the police car. I can't imagine how he will feel in a few hours when he sobers up. I said a silent prayer for him, so that he may see this as a wake-up call and learn from his mistake. End of the day, that is what it is. It is simply a mistake. For me, however, if this happened to me when I was actively drinking, I think it would have caused me to go on a huge bender, just to numb the feelings of guilt and fear.

What was truly ironic about where he was pulled over, is that about half a block down the street there is a very good and well-known drug and alcohol treatment center.

The sight of what happened this morning is yet another arrow in my quiver of "quit drinking" tools.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober is Better

wow that sucks

Im glad it wasn't you!!!

Keep it up
Old 03-06-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm taking a meeting into the county jail tonight,there will be many guys at the meeting who are there for DUI.Virginia has mandatory jail time for DUI's,it doesn't matter who you know or how much money you may have anymore.
You would think that a man would really want to seek sobriety when he realizes his situation,but that is usually not the case.Alcoholism is the only disease that tells you that you don't have it.
I firmly believe that you must have a crisis in your life before you really want to get sober."Come to us...",we have an answer.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Gratefully Sober

Originally Posted by winslynn View Post
I'm taking a meeting into the county jail tonight,there will be many guys at the meeting who are there for DUI.Virginia has mandatory jail time for DUI's,it doesn't matter who you know or how much money you may have anymore.
You would think that a man would really want to seek sobriety when he realizes his situation,but that is usually not the case.Alcoholism is the only disease that tells you that you don't have it.
I firmly believe that you must have a crisis in your life before you really want to get sober."Come to us...",we have an answer.
So nice to see a fellow Richmonder on here!!
Old 03-06-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Here in Virginia they will lock you up for a long time for multiple DUI's.Problem will be solved,you won't be able to do any harm when you are in the James River Work Center for an extended stay.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobern2003 View Post
So nice to see a fellow Richmonder on here!!
I am not a true born Dixie,transplant from Chicago 2 years ago.I have a home group and a sponsor here.We are having an eating meeting 3/12 at
the Hopewell Methodist Church on Courthouse Road and 288,5:30 PM....
join us...I will be chairing the meeting.

Cheers,Steve
Old 03-06-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I truly felt sorry for this gentleman as they cuffed him and put him in the back of the police car.
I am glad he's off the road. Drunk people also destroy other people's lives. Thank God the laws are very tough.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm taking a meeting into the county jail tonight,.
We have those meetings here each week as well. Real life savers for them....and me.

All the best.

Bob
Old 03-06-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Make that 3 Richmonders, though I'm now transplanted to the Midwest. I know the very church where the eatin' meeting is. Courthouse Road are my stomping grounds.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

This is getting very tireing...some members seem bent on legal discussions and their problems when they break the law.

Others have posted incorrect info ...perhaps they simply are unaware
of the area they have now moved too. I

Let's please take off our haloes...and put away the darts....
recovery is what we strive for on this site.

Thanks for talking about your progress in recovery...
Old 03-06-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I live in Maryland...just over the DC line. When I got my first and only DUI, the cop told me "thank God you didn't kill anyone and you didn't get nailed in VA"
Old 03-06-2012, 09:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
I live in Maryland...just over the DC line. When I got my first and only DUI, the cop told me "thank God you didn't kill anyone and you didn't get nailed in VA"
Not nailed,crucified!I was talking to some of the boys at the jail tonight after the meeting and they were all of the opinion that the Public Pretenders and the Commonwealth attorneys are in bed together.Their court appointed attorneys are incompetent and ask them to plead out to bogus charges.A poor alcoholic receives the worst life has to offer in Virginia.
I only could tell them to say the serenity prayer and pursue sobriety when they get out some day.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I own 2 DUI charges. Yeah sucks waking up on a cold floor with strangers and a massive headache. I'll be the wolf n say I think the dui laws are too strict. Most states its .08. That's 2 beers. I could drink 6 and pass all thier tests, except the breathalizer. I'm just being honest, I'm not gonna be some hypocritical angel. DUI for the most part is for revenue. There is a difference between .08 and being totally wasted. If your wasted I understand going to jail, but a couple beers, that's all revenue. But I'm not a big fan of laws in general, bit of an anarchist so ignore me.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

ALL states are .08, the feds gave the states a choice, make it .08 or forget about federal highway money. This is nothing new - happened during the Reagan administration.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

"I looked at the clock in my car and it was just past 7:30 am. Honestly, my first thought was, "who drinks at this hour?" Luckily, I was also the guy with the answer. Me! I used to drink at this hour, or at least be plenty drunk from the night before."

With the economy being ****** morning DUI is more common. People out of work tend to drink when they were at work.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The same thing happened to me. 7:30 am but the guy was at a gas station. All I could of think of is but for the grace of god, there goes me.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

As long as I stay sober I won't ever have to do deal with severe consequences of drunk driving.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
As long as I stay sober I won't ever have to do deal with severe consequences of drunk driving.
Another motivation for me to be vigilant. I know damn well if I drink again sooner or later I'll drive.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Gratefully Sober

I am not a true born Dixie,transplant from Chicago 2 years ago.I have a home group and a sponsor here.We are having an eating meeting 3/12 at
the Hopewell Methodist Church on Courthouse Road and 288,5:30 PM....
join us...I will be chairing the meeting.

Cheers,Steve
sounds like fun! I have my homegroup on Mondays though
Old 03-07-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Gratefully Sober

Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
A few years ago,here in Richmond,Va a woman killed a pedestrian while drunk driving. It was her 2nd time killing someone under those circumstances.She had spent time in prison in another state for killing a kid while DD. This time she got 46 years in prison.