Notices

How can Alcohol be legal?

Old 03-04-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I hope in 100 years alcohol will be a thing of the past, but doubt it ever will. As an alcoholic i have 2 different opinions 1) I abused it and became addicted and let it destroy my life, while others can drink "normal" and that should not be taken away from them because us alcoholics can't keep control. 2) my other view: all the deaths, broken homes, health problems, and the fact that it IS A DRUG, makes me wonder why it Is legal while cocaine, marijuana, heroine are all illegal. As a world/society we have been brought up accepting that alcohol is acceptable. As times goes on and we progress and advance in our world it seems alcohol is the one thing that never changes. I struggle with this illness, its a living hell, and its legal. Baffled.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ever since man stepped on a grape...It's been a problem...That's not going to change. It's like why isn't marijuana legal?...Can't tax it...It's too easy to grow....No money in it...It's a hassle making a still...
Old 03-04-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

90% of people who consume alcohol do so without many problems. It certainly has some benefits for the moderate drinker. I think they should legalize all drugs as well. Not just pot either but "hard" drugs like cocaine/heroin as well.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There's money in keeping coke/heroin illegal....Not everybody can grow coca/poppies in there backyards...You could tax them...I think there's more money having a war on them..
Old 03-04-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
90% of people who consume alcohol do so without many problems. It certainly has some benefits for the moderate drinker. I think they should legalize all drugs as well. Not just pot either but "hard" drugs like cocaine/heroin as well.
I strongly disagree. While some people can use alcohol or THC responsibly... It's nearly impossible to use Ecstasy, LSD, or heroin responsibly. That is the difference.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's all money...Look how well prohibition worked...

The Mob got it instead of the government...Kind of like Pot/Coke/Heroin or anything else...The government makes it's cash on locking people up for it...Everybody wins...
Old 03-04-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I hope in 100 years alcohol will be a thing of the past, but doubt it ever will. As an alcoholic i have 2 different opinions 1) I abused it and became addicted and let it destroy my life, while others can drink "normal" and that should not be taken away from them because us alcoholics can't keep control. 2) my other view: all the deaths, broken homes, health problems, and the fact that it IS A DRUG, makes me wonder why it Is legal while cocaine, marijuana, heroine are all illegal. As a world/society we have been brought up accepting that alcohol is acceptable. As times goes on and we progress and advance in our world it seems alcohol is the one thing that never changes. I struggle with this illness, its a living hell, and its legal. Baffled.
If alcohol were discovered today it would be illegal. It's been around for about seven thousand years both eastern and western cultures have plenty of it. Illegal drugs are common but they are not ingrained in our culture. I agree with your assesment but there is nothing I can do about it so I accept that other people will drink. It damned near killed me so I don't want anymore.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

revenue. and prohibition was a massive failure.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
High on Life

For every person that can't drink, there's probably 20 or so people that can. I just made that figure up, and it's probably a lot higher. Why should alcohol be illegal, because we can't drink? That's silly. Diabetics can't eat certain things, should I be deprived to make their life easier. It's not my problem, and it's not non-alcoholics problem either that I must abstain. We have to learn to live with this issue, not the other way around.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

One of the things I'm learning in my recovery is how much I have to change my thinking and view of the world, not change the world to suit my needs.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
I've been thinking more about this issue recently. And the OP makes a good point. Moreover, if we were able to somehow magically remove all the alcoholics from the world, we would still have significant levels of social, criminal & health-related problems 'thanks' to alcohol.

I don't smoke marijuana - nor do I plan to. However, when I rally up some of the anti-social behaviors - especially acts of violence - committed by cannabis smokers versus drinkers ... it really makes me wonder whether the legal prohibitions and controls ought not to be reversed(!)

The degree of rationalization that goes on in defense of alcohol is amazing. "It's traditional ..." "...it's a part of our Judeo-Christian heritage...." "... our Founding Fathers brewed alcohol.." (they also grew hemp...)

Sometimes I think the biggest alcohol addict is our own society/government.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by north View Post
Sometimes I think the biggest alcohol addict is our own society/government.
How do they feed their addiction...$$$
Old 03-04-2012, 09:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I don't care if it's legal or not......... as far as I'm concerned, it might as well be poison. That doesn't mean though, that it's like that for everyone nor does it mean everyone else should give it up because I can't drink it.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

From the U.S. Department of Justice. Drinking in America: www.udetc.org/documents/Drinking_in_America.pdf
  • Most American adults either abstain or drink very
    little.
  • A relatively small percentage of drinkers drink
    most of the alcohol.
  • Alcohol is cheap and becoming cheaper.
  • Americans are bombarded with $4 billion of alcohol
    marketing each year.

With the majority of Americans being abstainer or drink at low risk levels, alcohol is and has been for a very very long time here to stay.
IMO early intervention by employers family, justice system, friends for heavy problem drinkers. Along with awareness of the potential pitfalls of heavy drink at an early age may help reduce the harm of becoming a heavy drinker or alcoholic.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Because making drugs illegal doesn't stop people from doing them.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
01/28/2017

one word, prohibition. it isn't about whether alcohol is a drug or dangerous, it's about practicality and money. prohibition was an utter disaster, hence alcohol became legal again.

personally i think all drugs should be decriminalized, the war on drugs is nothing more than another industry making billions. there has never been any "progress", drug problem are as bad or worse now than when the war was declared. but this is our society, it is all about perception. the govt piles on a bunch of propaganda to get the public to "demand" something be done, then the govt is justified in creating far reaching rules and laws that undermine our civil liberties. same thing has been happening with the nebulous war on terror.

and to those who think decriminalization will not work, look at prortugal. Ten Years After Decriminalization, Drug Abuse Down by Half in Portugal - Forbes

/end political ranting.....
Old 03-05-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Alcohol is not a problem unless it's abused. In moderation it can actually be beneficial to your health.

I'm really on the fence about legalizing all recreational drugs. Marijuanna--maybe. But what benefit can drugs like heroin, cocaine, or meth really have to a recreational user? Plus, look at some drugs that are already totally legal and moderated by the goverment--oxycontin, vicoden, percocet--all legal when prescribed by doctors but look at the huge underground trade and the havoc its causing.

I don't have the answers, but I do think that people need to be accountable for their own actions and addictions.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Zencat and JV that is some interesting reading there. Thanks for posting it!

INH
Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

$
Old 03-05-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Alcohol is not the problem. I am the problem!