Notices

How can Alcohol be legal?

Old 03-05-2012, 10:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sally1009

If alcohol is ever made illegal, people would still make it at home from rice, or potatoes as they did during the Prohibtion.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
01/28/2017

Originally Posted by BrandNewDay11 View Post
Alcohol is not a problem unless it's abused. In moderation it can actually be beneficial to your health.

I'm really on the fence about legalizing all recreational drugs. Marijuanna--maybe. But what benefit can drugs like heroin, cocaine, or meth really have to a recreational user? Plus, look at some drugs that are already totally legal and moderated by the goverment--oxycontin, vicoden, percocet--all legal when prescribed by doctors but look at the huge underground trade and the havoc its causing.

I don't have the answers, but I do think that people need to be accountable for their own actions and addictions.
i didn't say legalize, i said decriminalize.....big difference. it's not as if heroine would be freely available next to tylenol in a pharmacy. i never said there was any value to these drugs in a recreational use. but as someone else pointed out, people are goings to use drugs whether they are legal or not. so whats the end game? right now we lock up addicts and in many cases in the US they throw away the key. canada just introduced new "tough on crime" laws that aim to do the same. what good does it do?

have you ever been to jail? i have. it's not a nice place, and it certainly is not conducive to rehabilitation. first night i was in i was suffering from severe alcohol withdrawal, but the jail personnel would hear none of it. i could have had a siezure that night, but luckily my cell mate was receiving benzos and managed to slip me one to make it through the night. the next day i felt much better and started talking with other inmates, a whole new world of criminal activity opened up to me. thankfully i never took advantage of any of my teachings in there, but it opened my eyes to what a sham the revolving door criminal justice system is.

the focus on decriminalization is treatment and rehabilitation. as we all know, only those who truly want recovery will be successful.......but in my experience, there are scads of homeless addicts on the streets who really do want it, they just don't know how to get it.

oh, and as far as illegal oxys go, crack down on all the drug dealers masquerading as "doctors". just look at the lax laws down in florida, people are driving a thousand miles so they can get easy prescriptions down there. but wait.......who makes these drugs again? big pharma, and they make tons of money off them........maybe they don't want to crack down. again, it's all about the money.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrandNewDay11 View Post
Plus, look at some drugs that are already totally legal and moderated by the goverment--oxycontin, vicoden, percocet--all legal when prescribed by doctors but look at the huge underground trade and the havoc its causing.
I see this as the biggest problem we face today...It will surpass all the others together in the next ten years as the most deadly of drugs IMO....I went to rehab for alcohol and half the people in there were young people hooked on Oxy's and other opiates...All in their 20's...It was tragic....Out of 40 people in there...I don't even think it was 10 of us that were there for alcohol.....If I'd had toys like that to play with when I was a kid...I wouldn't have made it to the age of 25...I know it...I did enough damage with alcohol.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Wrote this for The Fix a while ago. Thought it might be pertinent in this thread...

"Anyone who does not see the drug "war" and resulting laws as a clearly untenable position has their argument firmly rooted in some form of judgmental myopia. Either that or they are victims of a moral superiority delusion. There are far too many examples of tragedy and unnecessary violence as a direct result of such arcane, useless drug laws. Far too many good people are now in jail who should be school teachers, doctors, lawyers, e.t.c... Far too many users die from unregulated products, manufactured by criminals who know nothing about safety in drug composition, and could care less if they did know. These laws pile heaps of unnecessary risks to law enforcement by mandating that they combat crime syndicates with more money and resources at their disposal than some countries - which is all illicit trade, accumulated by morally bankrupt men, women, and organizations. And those involved in the illicit drug trade garner such enormous power for one reason only; because we are too stupid, selectively blind, and contextually ******** to see that it's the drug laws alone creating such enormous illegal commerce.

Furthermore, let's not forget the human rights abuses, the unlawful search and seizures, and the constitutionally insulting surveillance techniques that law enforcement have at their disposal now - all excused and tolerated by us for a drug war that is an obvious failure to anyone with pragmatic intellect and a fair conscience. Do we need to mention the insult the drug laws are to personal freedoms?

Drug laws destroy, imprison, and violate those who happen to get involved in the process, unless those involved are extremely lucky. Law enforcement is affected negatively, the prison system is unnecessarily swollen, the non-using citizen is taxed highly, yet still suffers the chance of encountering the drug related violence and interaction their very tax dollars are being spent to "stop". It's ridiculous really, the biggest sham since prohibition. Let's also remember that statistically speaking these laws have shown no help in slowing drug use in users, abuse in addicts, nor the economics of drug sales in dealers and criminals.

In fact based solely on empirical evidence, drug laws are shown to vastly improve the economic outlook of any criminal organization willing to successfully break the law for personal gains. With this fact alone one should muse over this question: Do we want people of low moral compasses - people who are willing to break laws and risk community safety and security - to have a monopoly on the drugs being sold anymore? Is it OK for us to keep forcing our kids - who might hypothetically decide to experiment with drugs - to seek out and initiate an illegal transaction with someone who could very well be a bloody murdering sociopath? Do we want any part of our populace to be subjected to chemicals and substances that can only be regulated by thieves, murderers, and otherwise useless knuckleheads? Ridiculous. Can we afford the rose colored lenses our billions in tax dollars are STILL failing to providing us? The obvious and common sense answer is a resounding NO. The question is not IF drugs should be legalized, the question on everyone's lips should be "why are drugs still illegal, in the face of such an epic policy failure?"

Drug Laws have the exact reverse of their intended effect. Full stop."
Old 03-05-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good stuff Peter...Love the way you write...
Old 03-05-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Making it illegal won't help. People want it bad enough they're gonna find ways to get it.