Notices

First Drunk Dream....Scariest Thing Ever!

Old 03-03-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

First Drunk Dream....Scariest Thing Ever!

So I have 65 days sober today and up until now I've only heard peoples stories about "drunk/drinking dreams" and I was wondering if and when I might have one, well I no longer need to wonder because last night I had one and it scared the living hell out of me!

I dreamed that I was at a party with some random people (who i would never hang out with in real life, so it was weird) my boss was there (of all people, lol) and some other random people, and there was a table full of some tasty orange drinks that had vodka in them (my favorite). and I just kept picking up glass after glass after glass just pounding them down.

Next thing I know im in my car driving somewhere and I hit a person walking across the street, cops show up and throw my ass in jail. (funny but not!) and I was about to use my one telephone call to call my sponsor and tell her how badly i f***ed up when I jumped awake!

It took me a good 5-10 minutes to realize that this was only a dream. I was SO RELIEVED to realize that this was ONLY A DREAM!

Oh my God, what a scary thing!
Old 03-03-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've had a ton of drinking/using dreams. They're pretty stressful, I'm having less of them as I get more time under my belt. I use them to remind me of how grateful I am for my sobriety.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Oh man i was SO grateful to wake up sober and remember what I did last night. lol
Old 03-03-2012, 11:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FlyerFan View Post
Oh man i was SO grateful to wake up sober and remember what I did last night. lol
I didn't get a lot of those FF...But when I did it scared the living crap out of me.....I felt the same way....Sit for 5 minutes and Thank God it was a dream.....They go away....It reminds you how much you want it...Nothing wrong with that...
Old 03-04-2012, 01:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I have gotten a few over the years. It seems the longer I am sober and clean ................. the more stress I have to be in to have one. Ergo, they seem to appear when I am undergoing a lot of daily stress in my life (more than normal stress, lol)

Yes, it is always a relief to awaken and realize it was only a dream, albeit a very very scary dream, but just a dream.

Love and hugs,
Old 03-04-2012, 02:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I know I have dreams, but most of the time I can't remember them when I wake, but have had a few where I was smoking cigarettes again (in the house) and woke up thinking I'd left one burning... another were I was drinking (a lot), even woke up feeling hungover.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey flyer. I remember having them the last time I was dry. Went over 100 days before relapsing. I'd have a dream that I was drinking loads. Not necessarily with any bad consequences. But when I'd wake up, I'd spend the first 5-10 mins of the morning full of shame and self pity, like how I'd feel when I'd actually been drinking, before sorta realising it hadn't happen. I think I got the 1st one abt 60 days into being dry.

Well done on your 65days!
Old 03-04-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: “It doesn’t matter where you are, you are nowhere compared to where you can go.”
Wow....I just had one last night.....
I've had lots of them, even while I'm drinking. In mine though, I'm always around a group of people who are drinking casually, and I'm in pursuit of finding a bottle and place where I can guzzle some unnoticed....sometimes getting caught and feeling ashamed.
Last night's dream, I was at a family members wedding that had an open bar and I didn't want people to see me repeatedly return, so I was in a hotel searching for a "pay" bar to sneak a few extras (and was quite irritated not being able to find one)......crazy.

4 days for me now, and doing good so far. The cravings hit hard as he!! for a few hours during my normal start time, but I've been able to wait them out. I hope it sticks this time.

Congratulations on 65 days....I can't wait to say the same
Old 03-04-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by priceyjunk View Post
Hey flyer. I remember having them the last time I was dry. Went over 100 days before relapsing. I'd have a dream that I was drinking loads. Not necessarily with any bad consequences. But when I'd wake up, I'd spend the first 5-10 mins of the morning full of shame and self pity, like how I'd feel when I'd actually been drinking, before sorta realising it hadn't happen. I think I got the 1st one abt 60 days into being dry.

Well done on your 65days!
Yeah I woke up feeling totally guilty, like oh god what have I done? Then I looked around my house and realized none of it was real. It was so scary.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your sober time...
Old 03-04-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah I woke up feeling totally guilty, like oh god what have I done? Then I looked around my house and realized none of it was real. It was so scary.
I remember my first drinking dream, just like yours, real as all Heck and took a few minutes to "give my head a shake".
I remember thinking how I would have to tell my sponsor and my group that I had drank, and I also remember arguing with myself about covering it up. The drunk is still alive and well in there somewhere.....I'm not 'cured' yet.

Wishing everyone the best.

Bob R
Old 03-04-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh my, do I ever relate to this. I had a drunk dream so bad I woke up with a pseudo hangover, and spent about 20 minutes looking around my house in the usual hiding spots for the bottle(s) I just knew I had drank.

Once I realized it was a dream though, and all those guilty, shameful, rotten feelings of failure fell away, the relief was incredible. For me those dreams were always timely though, much needed examples of what could easily happen if I let down my guard.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah, I know how those are like. After sobering up, I'd frequently have dreams in which I'd get drunk and/or high (sometimes more than one dream per night). They seem to be less frequent now. Definitely a relief to wake up from dreams like that. I didn't have any where I'd get hurt or arrested, but it's still scary nonetheless. Apparently my dream-self has no discipline or judgment whatsoever because in those dreams, I'd just dive right into it and get completely wasted. I can't picture myself ever doing that again in reality. I guess overtime those dreams have allowed me to appreciate sobriety even more.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
I remember my first drinking dream, just like yours, real as all Heck and took a few minutes to "give my head a shake".
I remember thinking how I would have to tell my sponsor and my group that I had drank, and I also remember arguing with myself about covering it up. The drunk is still alive and well in there somewhere.....I'm not 'cured' yet.

Wishing everyone the best.

Bob R
Yeah I was like "oh my god I have to call my sponsor asap and tell her what ive done...." and then I sat up in bed (apparently I punched my boyfriend in my sleep, LMAO!) and I'm looking around and I said "what a minute.....im ok, nothing happened last night, i didnt drink, THANK YOU GOD!" lol
Old 03-04-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have a little over 2 years of being a non drunkard after about 32 years of heavy drinking. I had lots of dreams in the first year or so about drinking and still have maybe one or two a week. They never really freaked me out at all as I know they are just dreams. Usually they were dreams of earlier times in my life drinking. As much of my waking life revolved around drinking I suppose I will be having them for some time.

I will say that I thoroughly enjoy going to sleep and having dreams. It's like taking a crazy vacation for about 1/3 of your day. Passing out drunk and having no dreams, I think is about as close to what it is like being dead as you can get.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
I haven't had any 'drunk dreams' for a long time but I did when I first quit (Feb 2009).

However, recently I've noticed my dreams have had a restless semi-lucid quality to them. As I woke up, I'd have conflicted feelings about wanting it to continue while I tried making mental notes to myself to remember the dream - and during that time, my sense of reality and IQ seem to be temporarily hampered. Awake at the breakfast table or in the shower, most of the time I can't recall the actual dream - just the memory of trying to remember it earlier. A kind of uncomfortable mind fog. And, then it hits me - it was very similar to when I was drunk except instead of stupid dreams, it was actual acts of idiocy while under the influence conducted in a dreamlike (drunken) stupor.

The realization did not make me feel completely better (kind of a 'dream hangover') but it did help being reminded that I wasn't actually making an ass of myself the night before.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I hate em too, FF...they throw me off balance for a little while. When I was drinking, every morning I'd wake up and the first few seconds were spent figuring out if I was hung over or not. After these dreams, I have to do that same thing. Takes me back to a sad time.
Having said that, they're just dreams! Yay! haha Sleep well..g'nite!
Old 03-04-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have been having drinking dreams (15 days sober) for the first time during the last couple of days. It's interesting--I originally thought it was because I missed alcohol, but I'm starting to think it's because I'm just stressed out about the decision...

I really appreciate that I am so very glad when I figure out it's just a dream. I guess that means I'm on the right path.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I haven't had one in a while (u watch, I just jinxed myself.....lol) but when I did I took one really good lesson away from everyone of them. In my dream....I was sober. Just as sober and knowledgeable as I am as I type this post. I also "knew" not to take that drink. But......I did, in fact, take that drink.

A cornerstone of my recovery is that on my own, with all the knowledge and wisdom I have.....I'm not going to successfully think myself through the drink and just say no. That never worked back in my drinking days and it hasn't worked in my dreams.

As scary as they have been.....they've also been a good reminder to not get complacent with my recovery. It takes a fair amount of work and a lot of action for me to stay one and keep walking the spiritual path.....If I deviate from what HAS worked, I get a glimpse, in those dreams, of what's in store for me.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well, 18 months sober here, and I actually now dream. What a concept? But the dreams I have are now about being in recovery. I'll dream where I insist on turning down a joint, and then be wrapped in the dream, hit the fridge, and pop a beer. WTF?

Or I'll be smoking a joint and thinking how wonderful it is to be sober from alcohol. Geesh....

But at least recovery is entering my subconscious. I actually dreamed the other night about sharing in an AA meeting my disdain for normal people, how I couldn't stand 'em, had to be around recovered drunks and drug addicts to be understood.

Funny crap, eh? I'll chalk this up to progress... sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly.