Notices

Resources for Friends and Family

Old 03-03-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Resources for Friends and Family

Hi Guys,

I'm wondering, does anybody know of any good resources (books, websites, movies, music, whatever!) for loved ones of people who are going through recovery?

I ask because I'm 22 days sober and feel like my boyfriend is having a hard time understanding a few things:

1) Why I need to stop drinking. I was a binge drinker, not a daily drunk, and I feel like for him this means I am not a "real" alcoholic. (Trust me, I definitely ******* am).

2) How weird this process is. Somedays I feel like I am literally bursting with joy, others I get very sad and introspective. Sometimes I really need and enjoy being around him but others I crave solitude. It must seem so random to him.

3) How we can continue to have a social life. We live in a big city and have a pretty active social that is sort of mixed in with work life, lots of openings, pr events and receptions and that sort of thing where there is always alcohol served, for free! I need to help him understand that I can still be in those situations but will have to approach them differently. Sometimes I might randomly freak out and have to leave the party immediately - that is kind of hard to understand if you aren't an alcoholic right?!

Anyway, have you got any advice on where to look for info? Your stories always help too!

x
Old 03-04-2012, 02:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi gonzo-

there is a friends and family forum of alcoholics here at SR where she could get some support. i would also recommend for her the book "co-dependent no more" by melody beattie. that's pretty much the user guide for friends and family.

naive