Notices

Feeling Tired

Old 03-03-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling Tired

Hi Guys,
I'm on day 22! This is definitely the longest I've ever gone without drinking since I went to college when I was 18 (8 years ago...). I'm very excited for next Sunday because I've decided that is when I will "come out" and start telling people that I don't drink anymore. Until now I've just said I'm "doing a little detox" when people offer me booze because I didn't want to set myself up for failure. It will feel much more real next week!

One thing: Is it normal that I am feeling so tired? I am sleeping very heavily (a good thing I guess), having trouble waking up in the morning and just generally feeling groggy. I didn't expect physical reactions like this to last up through the third week, maybe I'm being very naive! I'd like to hear your all's experiences. So far I'm drinking a lot of green tea to keep me above zombie level!

x
Old 03-03-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 22 days. As for the tiredness, how's your diet? I noticed once I switched over to fruits/veggies for the majority of my calories (cut meat down to a couple times each week), the tiredness went away very suddenly.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Congratulations on your sober time! I've spent some time in Paris, it's a beautiful city.

I think it's quite common for you to feel tired still. Sleeping cycles can take several weeks to adjust. The best thing to do is sleep when you feel tired and try to get into a routine, waking and sleeping at the same time each day.

The grogginess goes away after a while, however you may want to see your doctor if you're concerned.

Best wishes!
Old 03-03-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks to both of you!

Mwstylee - I admit that since I've quit drinking I've been a bit more indulgent with myself regarding food (I may or may not be sucking on a Werther's Original as I type this...). In general I don't eat a lot of meat - certainly not at every meal and often only once every few days - but I have been eating more junkfood lately. Now that it's been a few weeks and I know I can do this (!) it's time to address that issue.

Josh - yes Paris is great! And all the more beautiful through sober eyes Thanks for the advice, I should probably take it and go off to bed instead of poking around SR.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't get me wrong, Gonzo. Eat whatever you want now and worry about that stuff later. Junk food for a while is so much better than alcohol, that's for sure.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Definately normal! I posted the same thing 2 weeks ago! I'm 5 weeks now and finally feeling fab!!! It seems a long time but it's not in the scheme of things and is sooooo worth the wait!
Old 03-04-2012, 03:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good to hear, DoinThis! Congrats on 5 weeks, hopefully I'll be feeling like you in two weeks time. I have to say though, the deep restful sleep is welcome (as long as I don't have anything else to do at the time!).

x
Old 03-04-2012, 06:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
In Recovery

Since I've cut back I find myself taking a 45-60min nap during the day.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

As your body adjust....and you like to cook....this is good time
to begin eating healthy and a daily multi-vitaman is often useful.

All my best....keep moving forward....
Old 03-04-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm in the middle of some adjustments too. And I have allowed myself to eat pretty much whatever I want for these first couple of weeks, but I think it's just about time to get a hold of it. But I am also tired--surprisingly--and really looking forward to feeling well again soon.