Notices

hospitilised detox

Old 03-04-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paddyb View Post
Hi all

Pone number is 0845 769 7555 and if you use SAYNOTO0870.COM - Non-Geographical Alternative Telephone Numbers you can find your local number

PB
and not pay the fee 0845 number charge as i think it 10p a minute and could be free from a land line?
Old 03-04-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
AA member

Link not working paddy.Nottingham number is 01159417100.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paddyb View Post
and not pay the fee 0845 number charge as i think it 10p a minute and could be free from a land line?
0115 941 7100 East Midlands Helpline
Derbyshire (except North), Leicestershire & Nottinghamshire
Available between 8am and midnight
Old 03-04-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Misty0310 View Post
i just want to do the detox now, i want the pressue of my business taken away and staying out of my normal enviornment, a chance to heal from year of hell away from all the pressure and a time to learn to like me again cos at the min i hate every inch of me and my life. there is nothing i enjoy anymore and feel im trying to avoid this self distruct but im really tired of the battle of things and when i get stressed with my work family or life the drink makes it seem less over powering.

i just want that 2 wks support where im out of my normal lifestyle. id pay but i cant afford 3 grand, i work for myself and its stressfull, i repair small appliances, sell appliances and manage my online store all on my own. only recently ive had the option for my husband to take over for me for a couple of weeks while i do detox
Hey Misty...They have no place there...Where you can detox at a lower cost??...If not free?.....What do they do with down and out alkies there?...Homeless?....Just let them die?
Old 03-04-2012, 08:22 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

because im on probation as a result of my problem i can do the 2wk detox free but i have to wait 3 months, why ? ... i really dont understand other than they say i need to do some councilling b4 to help stop relapse when i come out, thing is i want to get on with my life now, i want to do this straight away so i can start again but only way i can go straight in is if i go to the priory and they charge 3 grand for 1 month
Old 03-04-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Misty0310 View Post
because im on probation as a result of my problem i can do the 2wk detox free but i have to wait 3 months, why ? ... i really dont understand other than they say i need to do some councilling b4 to help stop relapse when i come out, thing is i want to get on with my life now, i want to do this straight away so i can start again but only way i can go straight in is if i go to the priory and they charge 3 grand for 1 month
That's a major Jam Misty...That's nuts...The only option I see...Talking to your Doctor...Tell him/her what you want to do..Getting what medication you need to bring you down...Do it at home....Have your husband or someone be there with you 24/7....Mine took five days....They gave me librium and something else for sleep....I got right off the Librium after that...Spent 13 days in my rehab just to clear my head...Mostly from the librium..Left early....Supposed to be 30 days.. and started doing a couple AA meetings a day...Got a sponsor and worked the steps..That was 8 months ago...Drink free..
Old 03-04-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Talk to your Doctor...Don't lie about your drinking history...You might be able to do it quicker...I was in bad shape...The first day they only gave me a half dose because my BAC was so high..And they tapered it off the last two days...I pretty much slept through the whole thing...
Old 03-04-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Sally1009

This sounds tricky. Usually a hospitalised detox is for people who are just stopping drinking, and it's often straight after someone has been admitted to hospital with alcohol poisoning, and they are kept in to physically de-tox. Then comes the rehab stage, for which there is usually a long waiting list in the uk, under the NHS system.
Private rehab costs a fortune, though it can still be funded by the NHS sometimes, and there is again usually a waiting period if its NHS funded.
Detox and rehab are two separate things.
The AA helpline is open 24/7, so if you feel desperate, Misty, give them a call. They are always very kind and helpful.
Good luck on your recovery.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sally1009 View Post
Private rehab costs a fortune.
That's one of the reasons I left...All they did was introduce me to AA...Which I thank God for...The other reason I left was because I could go to as many meetings as I wanted and I could get a sponsor (2nd day out) and start working the steps....I went back to a reunion after six months...Out of forty people in my "class"...There were four there.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Sally1009

"There were four there"...
That's depressing. Even more depressing are the statistics for recovery in AA - 3-5% only. I suppose that's why you have to give it 100%.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

It works if you work it....
Old 03-04-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I don't buy those statistics either....But that's a whole different thread...
Old 03-04-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
AA member

Yes AA has a huge failure rate,a lot of newcomers dont come for themselves,they actually dont want to stop drinking.They come because a relative or friend or Employer is getting onto them about their drinking.People even come not realising it will have to be total abstinence.

AA will work for anyone who really wants it to.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Misty, is there any way you can take the advice above about seeing a doctor, being honest with that doctor about wanting to get sober, and getting the appropriate medications and advice and supervision to detox at home?

Detoxification from alcohol can be extremely dangerous, and that is why we all always recommend medical supervision. Could you counselor help you?

As far as attending AA, the only requirement to qualify as a member is a desire to stop drinking, and you have that in spades. Could you ask your counselor for advice? Attend AA and see our counselor while you are waiting for detox?

Just a thought. There is nothing as miserable was wanting to get sober and continuing to drink. I have been there.

I understand your desire to step off the world for a few weeks and be cared for as you tackle this addiction. Can you do that at home? Have someone take care of your business for you, get medical advice and perhaps the appropriate medication, get someone to watch over you as you tackle this first step in recovery? And do know that detoxing is certainly only the first step.