Notices

Not so sure I can do this

Old 02-29-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Location: “It doesn’t matter where you are, you are nowhere compared to where you can go.”
Not so sure I can do this

I think I joined this site close to ten years ago...... around .........???/
I finally made an appt with a therapist who specializes in addiction. Blow me kisses of good luck, please! And a super HOORAY to those of you who are FREE, from this HELL.......Gosh darnit............this $hit sucks
Old 02-29-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure you can do it WindsOfChange - I did after all

I finally worked out I got out of my recovery what I put into it - leave no stone unturned WOC - and good luck!
Old 02-29-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

With enough willingness and being open to new ideas going for you, this could be your time.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A chemical dependency counselor is a great idea. Back when I had medical insurance I saw one and it helped me. Wish I could get back. They can help us to find a more, ahem, constructive way of dealing with stress.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Great move, Wind - I really hope your appointment goes well! It takes courage to reach out.....

I know it's hard to see the sunshine right now but it's there. It's just gets covered up by our addiction. And that addiction will pitch a fit if it's not fed, but just remember it's not who YOU are and it will loosen it's hold a little each day you stay sober.

You can get free from the hell, too - we're here for you!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Good luck Wind.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: “It doesn’t matter where you are, you are nowhere compared to where you can go.”
Thank you everybody. My appointment is in 13 days, but I don't plan to "wait" that long and use it as an excuse to drink, in the meantime. I'm very nervous about going, but I have to really get ready to work hard at this. I've wasted way too much of my life on alcohol.....temporary relief, but at a high cost. Thanks for the support.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA Member

Hello, I know what you mean I joined a good while back myself, I do have 15 months sober this time, first time in 30 years for me to be sober this long. Yes, true it is a hell. And all the wasted time really is the sh&%#s. You can do this.. With the support of others it can be done.. It is so worth it.. you have my support and prayers.

Funny we have the same signature
Old 03-03-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suic View Post
A chemical dependency counselor is a great idea. Back when I had medical insurance I saw one and it helped me. Wish I could get back. They can help us to find a more, ahem, constructive way of dealing with stress.
Thanks for sharing that, Suic. Can you give me any advice on what to expect my first visit? I've been to 2 psychiatrists in the past, but felt worse going out than going in. Both of them only asked a bunch of painful questions, but never offered any advice.....just kept writing stuff down. I thought it was just that they needed to "get to know me" before giving feedback, but after 5 or 6 sessions, and not a word of advise, I simply quit going,. I was reading somewhere that psychiatrists are able to prescribe drugs, where psycologists (therapists) cannot, but the psycologist do more as far as feedback and offering ways to cope and change thinking patterns. Am I correct?
Old 03-03-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=jrmar;3304093Funny we have the same signature[/QUOTE]

I googled "quoted for change" for something to inspire me, and that's what came up. I didn't mean to steal your signature, lol.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Here are some of the questions I was asked in my first visit:

why are you here?
why do you feel you have a drinking problem?
how much are you drinking and what are your patterns?
any trouble with the law due to drinking?
any trouble in your relationships due to drinking?

I found it very very comforting.

First, I could finally tell someone the real truth.
Second, the addiction psychiatrist had seen it all and nothing I told him was surprising. he is an expert in the patterns.
Third, I was finally getting some help.

The most important thing is to tell the unvarnished truth. That's the only way they can help. For me, going to see an addiction psychiatrist made my recovery real & permanent...and I felt great.

Good luck!
Old 03-04-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome back!
Old 03-04-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

All my best as you move into a sober future...Welcome back....
Old 03-04-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
All my best as you move into a sober future...Welcome back....
Thank you...so much! It hasn't been easy (only 4 days) but everyday it's been worth it.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Talking

Had my son, dIL, both grandaughters and my mother over tonight. Cooked homemade beef stroganoff and my mom brought over strawberry shortcake. The only liquid served was coffee, water and peach fresca

Hoping to keep this going.......my mom is usually a big source of my anxiety, but all went well tonight.

Really appreciate everyones support. Day 5 tomorrow. Yeaterday I stayed busy cleaning, so it's been both a fun and productive weekend. I haven't been able to say that in a long time.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good for you...Sounds like a great day...
Old 03-04-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
High on Life

Yeah you can do it. Just got to believe.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wind, are you going to AA meetings ?

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 03-05-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

No Bob...I haven't attended AA, yet. I'm sticking this out and waiting to see how it goes with my appt with an addiction counselor next week. However, a few months back, I got the nerve to try AA. (It was daylight, and I had taken off work early) I printed out the meeting schedules and directions. The first one I couldn't find and the other was across town, so I had just enough time to get there before that one started. It took all the courage I could muster to get out of the car.......I checked every single door (it was at a church downtown). Every door I tried was locked and there were no signs telling me where to go. I even walked around the entire building, and I know there were people there because there were several cars in the parking lot. The main (front) door of the church was the only door open, and I walked inside-- complete silence and noone around. It was actually creepy...not even a soul to ask directions or signs posted, so I left.
I haven't ruled out AA but (and I can only imagine how many people will say I'm making excuses), but the AA meetings available to me are in a high crime area (I live in one of the top 10 in the country) and either begin at noon (when I'm at work) or start after dark.
I'm hoping the counselor will help me. If not, I might just have to invest in some pepper spray and put my big girl pants on.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I lived in D.C. when I started AA. I found a meeting to attend before
work...and loved to start my day with AA.
Look in your phone book for AA Central Office and see if they have
early a.m. meetings and usually weekends are busy in AA too....

Added plus for me....as a single woman...was to find new sober people who understood and wee did many activities outside of meetings

Here is a link about what to expect ...if you decide to attend ...you could also ask a friend to go with you...I did...

Your First AA Meeting<

Please keep in touch....we do care