Notices

263 Days

Old 02-29-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

263 Days

Today is 263 days sober. June 12th, 2011 it began. I've been to the doctor a few times since then for unrelated things to drinking, I had told the doctor that I had given it up. I drank nightly or a few times each week for about 5 years (6-8 beers in a session say from 5pm - late in the night)

Those first few months were difficult, Coffee at first would get me really wound up in the mornings. October came and then through the end of December seemed to be really good. Since January up until now I'm sort of feeling like I did before October. The coffee winding me up has returned, but I've been there before so it's not so bad.

I think this may be PAWS acting up again? Some periods really seem like a lot of improvement, then the symptoms reoccur, last awhile and then go away and each time this happens it seems like the period of improvement lasts longer than the last time. I read that it comes and goes and have seen some people at my time (8-9 months) have had difficulties.

Just wondering about others experiences,

Thanks!
Old 02-29-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you attending AA meetings?

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 02-29-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Bob,

I am not. I just decided to quit. During my drinking career I had alot of 1, 2, 3 week a few 30 day dry spells always my intent to "take a break" never to stop. Then, I'd start again. This time my intent was to quit and stay quit. I have no desire to drink. That came and went off and on in the first month or so and lasting for a few minutes each.

Thanks.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wish you the best.

Bob
Old 02-29-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your progress.....
Old 02-29-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 263 days! I don't know where you live, but could you possibly be having some symptoms of SAD? Seasonal Affective Disorder? Long winters with few sunny days can be really hard on people. It really is on me. 6-7 months of dark, snow, slush, & cold can take it's toll.

You can get through your "off"feelings. Keep going. Maybe ask yourself what are some little special things you can incorporate into your life. Something to look forward too. Simple stuff.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Chutzpah

Congrats on 263, over a half of year! Maybe talk to your doctor? I strongly believe most alkies have an underlying problem. Anxiety, depression, ect. Maybe you are having axiety problems and the coffee is winding you up more?
Old 03-01-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have battled SAD my whole life. For years I treated it with alcohol which, it turns out, is the wrong medication for that condition. I quit that protocol on Halloween, just in time for a full NW winter. It hasn't been easy but really no harder than when I was drunk all the time. The sad/bad/down time is more intense but easier to deal without anxiety and big hangovers. The upside is that when I'm feeling good I feel GREAT!

I'm afraid to get real medication for my depression because I'm a professional artist and I've had several friends who accidentally medicated away their "spark". I'd rather deal with depression than get a real job! As far as coffee goes, have you tried decaf? I also drink tea.

Congratulations on 263 days!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've tried decaf. And, half-caff. Works for awhile but then I "miss" the feeling of regular and decide to go back. Funny how that works, isn't it? A whole lot better than alcohol!

Regarding the doctor, I've seen two and told them each about my drinking, the amounts, the length, the time sober. They both just brushed it off and said that I didn't drink "THAT much" and not for "nearly long enough" - And, "good for you" for deciding to stop. They told me my patterns were of a "person who sometimes drinks too much when they drink" but not of an "alcoholic" - I've never been told to stop drinking. I've just decided to.

And, like I said prior, at first when I quit the beer... coffee was fine... as more time added up, it had the wind-up effect but I kept moving along and then for about 3 months the regular coffee (same as before) didn't have the effect on me. It was great. But, now it's back, but seems to be lessening on "day 3" of when it began to have that effect again.

Thanks for you responses.