Notices

Stress Can Lead To Relapse-----

Old 02-29-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Stress Can Lead To Relapse-----

I'm realizing that I'm not able to handle stress very well. I struggle coping with what most normal people can deal with. Little things or big things, it doesn't matter. I've been having to take my anti-anxiety meds more lately because I'm having stress related anxiety. The thought of picking up a bottle of Vodka has crossed my mine but only briefly. Thank god for that. I don't seem to have the daily craving for booze I've had in the past. I've been sober since Fall of last year & my doctor thinks my body may take up to 2 years or more to get in balance. My central nervous system is really screwed up and I accept today that alcohol/drugs caused it. I wake up very early in the morning & can't sleep which adds to my anxiety. Anyways, I think I need to get this stress reduced or else risking a typical 2-4 day bender type relapse which I've done for the last 8 years "in & out" of sobriety.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Justfor .... thanks for posting this because it's so common to recovering alcoholics. While active, if I had a feeling I drank to escape. Now I have to find new ways of handling stress and the good news is there are ways. For me the quickest relief comes from talking to another alcoholic about how I feel or sharing at a meeting. Afterward I feel much saner and have less anxiety. And, the worst thing I can do is to isolate. I find it impossible to think my way out of stress ... at least get moving, walk fast, run. After all, my best thinking led me to booze.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are right Justfor1. I frequently struggle to not drink after something stressful because I self medicated with Alcohol for so long. It was my version of a pain reliever or sedative for years. Add to that the fact that I always enjoyed the taste of beer and the thirst quench of it and the impulses together take a toll.

What has helped me in recent months is to try and visualize the discomfort I usually feel now after drinking. Physical ailments I have started to have from drinking help keep me sober. I just need to remind myself every time I get the desire to drink alcohol how bad I feel the next day.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stress comes and goes. Anything relaxing you can do will help.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I'm realizing that I'm not able to handle stress very well. I struggle coping with what most normal people can deal with. Little things or big things, it doesn't matter.
Ditto on that, and deffenitely drives me to drinking because I forget my problems and can just "zone out" when drunk. Of course I feel like butt the next day and even more stressed out because I avoided instead of handled the situation however that just makes me want to pick up another beer.

One thing about me also is that I maintain my outward composure rather well, what people don't realize is the calm steady person they are talking to is actually feeling like falling to his knees and screaming.

INH
Old 02-29-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hell yeah stress can lead to a relapse. I mean for me sobriety is easy when things are gonig well, have a girlfriend, parents health are fine, winning jiujitsu tournaments and have a job.

When all those things start to give and it feels like the preasures of life are pressing firmly is when sobriety becomes a real fight and no longer just a light sparring session per say.

That is why I have learned to keep "trainning" for when things really hit the fan. Even on good days I know I have to log on here, attend meetings, read the big book, call my sponsor, eat right, excercise and everything else that will prepare me for bad days, weeks and months that are bound to happen because that is just life, and l have to learn to live it on life's terms and not mine.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't like stress, don't always handle it right, but I know that getting numb isn't an option, so I just do whatever I can..stay on here if I'm really overwhelmed, get out of the house, turn up the music in my car and sing at the top of my lungs.

FWIW, when I relapsed? I was under a LITTLE bit of stress...absolutely nothing compared to what I've been through in recovery. I just let down my defenses, wanted to get high for ONE night....two weeks later, I came crawling back home and had hit another bottom worse than before.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-29-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am becoming a believer in the saying "If you can't stand the heat.. get out of the kitchen".

I am getting better at knowing what I can and can't do. The Serenity Prayer helps a lot with that. And I don't beat myself up like I used to for what I can't do as well.

I'm not near the man I thought I was when I was drinking .... thank God !!

Wishing everyone the best.

Bob R