Notices

Detox facilities

Old 02-28-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detox facilities

I am curious about your experiences with detox facilities. Have you ever been to one? If so, did they put you on medication immediately? If so, what kind of medication?
Do you think that it is necessary for one to go to detox? I know it really depends on how bad off you are, or how bad your withdrawals are when you finally do quit drinking. I also know that we are not allowed to provide medical advice on this forum.

On the second day that I don't pick up a drink, I get very shaky, very anxious... manic almost.
On the third to fifth days I am extremely irritable... or I start to become irritable, and it lasts for as long as I don't pick up.
The shaking usually stops around the fifth or sixth day.

I drink anywhere from five to eight strong beers (7% alcohol) a day, and sometimes mix those with a shot or two of whiskey. I am 140 pounds... 26 years old, female.
Anyhow, just telling the facts so maybe I can get a precise opinion.

Thanks again, all. Have a great day
Old 02-28-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Linz, have never done a detox, but when I quit I go through the same phases - the manic, shakey bit almost feels like being drunk and by day three I'll be having hysterical giggling fits and falling over, very lightheaded and dizzy. The irritable bit that you think won't go away until you pick up will go, and actually gets replaced by a longer, more rewarding high as your muscles and cells start to function properly. Don't know why I've always gone back to the pick up, really...

Anyway, I know that withdrawal can be dangerous, so can't give an opinion on whether you should go to a facility, just wanted you to know what you go through sounds pretty normal to me.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Sounds like you're trying to figure out precisely what to expect......and I don't think you'll be able to do that Linz.

Some go on meds at once, some go on them later, some never go on them. As for the meds, they'll be many and vary.... based upon each physicians experience with them.....

One of the "old beliefs" I've worked to let go of is thinking I need to know how something will work out before I try it. Truth is, we never REALLY know the future. We can get close to predicting it but each time I'm "wrong" it bums me out. The problem isn't that we don't know what will happen......it's thinking that we NEED TO KNOW what will happen.

So far what you know is that attempts to stop drinking haven't worked. That leads me to think you're either missing something......or you need to change paths.

I don't think I ever went more than 5 days very often. About the only time I remember getting a week or two was in the last 6 months or so of my drinking career. Personally, I never had (or don't remember) the physical symptoms you and many other ppl here describe.

From what you're experiencing....medically supervised detox seems to be the smart call though. Some places do that in a handful of days - a week. Maybe a longer stay in a treatment center would be helpful too - one of the 28 day programs or something similar.

I'll say this though.....I've not seen either of those "work" (detox or treatment centers), if you're alcoholic and have alcoholism, without some sort of "after-care" program. AA, SMART, RR, CR, whatever. Drying out is a tough enough......staying sober (physically, mentally and spiritually) is where the payoff really is though.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Linz, I went to detox once. I think my withdrawals were worse than yours but similar... Mostly shaky and extreme anxiety. I would suggest going to see a doctor first. I went last July, mostly because I knew if I didn't get help for the withdrawals I would keep drinking. So I went to the ER, and had no intention of going to detox. They took my blood and gave me a benzo which really helped with the shakes and anxiety. I then spoken with a counselor who suggested I go to a detox center. I agreed mostly on account of the benzo, otherwise I don't think I would have gone. When I got to the center they did a basic physical and pretty much pumped me with benzos to detox and melatonin to sleep.

Its really a personal decision. The meds they put me on I could have done on on my own, but I do know there were others there who needed anti-seizure medication. It varies. Either way my suggestion would vote seek medical attention first and they can help you decide from there. The problem with relying one benzos (detox or on your own) is that they won't help you deal with the " real" reasons for the drinking and without further counseling, AA, etc. you're likely to relapse and use eye meds as a crutch. That's what I ended up doing any way..

I can definitely relate to what you're going through. I was 27 (28 now) and 140 lbs when I decided to go to detox, same drinking habits. It's likely you'll have a similar experience. I hope you get the help you need and best of luck!
Old 02-28-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Linz!

I've been to inpatient detox 6 times, I went to the same facility each time.
Five of those times I called ahead and made sure they had a bed available, and if there was one, I was in the next day at 10am. They usually tell you to not stop drinking, but don't come in drunk.

The procedure was the same every time. I would show up and check in, usually within 10-15 minutes a CNA comes and gets you from the waiting area to bring you in for your intake. Then I would go into a small office with the CNA and a nurse. They ask you about your drinking rather thoroughly, make sure to give full disclosure here as they develop a treatment program around what you tell them. That usually takes about 20 minutes, I imagine every place is different. After that they would take you straight to the detox unit and the nurses station where they give you your medication. For alcohol detox there are a number of different drugs that can be prescribed for withdrawal. Mainly, anti convulsants, meds to keep your BP and heart rate down, and if you ask, anti-anxiety drugs, not benzos. At the facility I went to the typical medication was phenobarbital, which is what I received on 5 of my visits, one time they had time give me Librium to relieve my symptoms.

I will be honest Linz, when you take that medication, and you realize you don't have to go to the store, and you aren't going to shake, it is a massive relief. I would literally sleep for 24 hours. All through the night and day the nurses take your vitals and give additional meds as needed, you will probably have to see a counselor and the unit doc while your there.

If I think of anything else, Ill add it in.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Linz, sounds like you have tried quitting a few times and probably you know that detox is the answer. They will give you what you need. Millions have been there and you'll do just fine.
Wishing you the best.

Bob R.