Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

If you could drink without any health consequences would you?

Notices

Old 02-27-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I hate to admit but but as much as I like being sober I would love to safely get drunk on the weekend.

But we all know the alcohol will kill you dead. That's why we are really here, because we are or were in pain.

I just thought of a point to tell new people here who can't understand why they can't quit. It's because it can be really fun. This is well documented. But do you want to die for it?

Hell no should be your answer.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No, because there is no way around getting sick when I drink. This theory makes little sense because the question asks if you can drink tons of poison but feel no bad effects from this. It's not smart to think like that because you are asking an impossible, fairy tale question!
Old 02-27-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I never really suffered from any health consequences through all my drinking...nothing serious anyway...a few bruises from falling down...

And yet without any serious threat to my health looming I still had to quit. The damage to my life was far more significant to me.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

NO, now that I'm 1 year 8months+ sober I like it and am going to stay that way.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
High on Life

I just picked up my 1 year medallion tonight and I don't miss drinking one bit. This year has been an awesome year concerning the gains I've made competing in marathons and in the gym, and I would not be at this level of fitness if I were drinking. Even at social drinking levels, alcohol is a killer for your fitness goals. So in that regard, No, I wouldn't drink if I could safely do it.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
So it goes

Would you play Russian Roulette because you had shot 5 blanks in a row?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Drinking did a lot more to me than just make me physically ill.
I'm not that dark, self loathing, depressed, selfish, quite insane person anymore.

I have no desire to go back- ever.

D
Old 02-27-2012, 08:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
No, thanks. I don't drink.
It's because it can be really fun. This is well documented.
Wait...what?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by tooling View Post
I hate to admit but but as much as I like being sober I would love to safely get drunk on the weekend.

But we all know the alcohol will kill you dead. That's why we are really here, because we are or were in pain.

I just thought of a point to tell new people here who can't understand why they can't quit. It's because it can be really fun. This is well documented. But do you want to die for it?

Hell no should be your answer.
For me the fun isn't there any more. I find the pubs and bars totally boring with tired old boring people and the drinks make me so I'll the next day and beyond and the consequences so far reaching there isn't any fun any more. I guess there never has been in reality it's just I've woke up!
Old 02-27-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post

Wait...what?
No...they're quite right. It is well documented. I myself had loads of fun drinking. Less and less with each year though. By the end it was often just me drinking alone and that wasn't all that much fun.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Since getting sober I have noticed that when I am around others who are drinking they are not more interesting, nor more charming, nor more fun. In fact they are either boring or asses. So, no, I am profoundly, deeply grateful to be someone who lives a rich and rewarding life and knows how to have true fun...the kind you remember having the next day
Old 02-27-2012, 08:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
No. I quit drinking for better or for worse, so even if they invent an artificial, indestructible liver someday that can process alcohol without breaking a sweat, I am out of luck.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well, I can't say for sure if I would have quit drinking had I not run into the liver problems that had accumulated. At the same, even when I was drunk, I no longer really enjoyed it. There were many times I wanted to stop drinking, even before my health took a real plunge. If I could go back to drinking right now, without having to worry about its detriment on my health, I think it would be tough but I'd still try not to. I'm still new to sobriety. I don't like the person alcohol made me, I don't like how dependent I was on it, and I don't like how it pretty much ruined my life. Overall, I don't think I gained anything positive from it. That would be the case regardless of my current health.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, I'd well and truly used up all my fun tokens...I think most of us have?

I'm aware other people have fun drinking...but I'm afraid my instinctive reaction was 'wait, what?' too, Tooling.

D
Old 02-27-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by tippingpoint
It is well documented
"Fun" is entirely too subjective a term to gather evidence on and document in any sort of valid way. "Drinking is fun" is the addiction talking, not the person.
C'mon now...documented?
and define "fun"...
Old 02-27-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Absolutely not. If I lived through it, it'd damage my career, my marriage, my son and my spirit. I have absolutely no desire for it, I love my life so much.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Even if Synthohol (from StarTrek) were to exist, I would be at that bar every night drinking until passing-out... They'd have to kick me off the ship. lol
It would be an interesting test for the 'problem drinkers', but not for alcoholics.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Once the pain becomes greater than the perceived pleasure it's really not that hard to quit. It seems that your whole perspective shifts at that point, that has been my experience anyhow.

I now view alcohol as a source of pain, the biggest con ever run. It wasn't always that way though or I never would have used it in the first place, none of us would have.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post

Wait...what?
Drinking is well documented as being fun. You know it and i know it and that's why everyone starts to drink.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
Even at social drinking levels, alcohol is a killer for your fitness goals. So in that regard, No, I wouldn't drink if I could safely do it.
The OP did say 'without any health consequences', though.