Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

If you could drink without any health consequences would you?

Notices

If you could drink without any health consequences would you?

Old 02-29-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Although I was not in as hardcore at that age as Robby was, I was already regularly practicing behaviors at 12 that no child that age should even know about but even a little-child-lost can be a strong healthy adult as evidenced by so many on this site.
Yeah, you know it, soberlicious. It's a beautiful thing to make it through to the other side. I'm glad you're so much more today then a ever-so-brave little-child-lost. Awesome.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

I would rather live alive than live dying. A guarantee of "health" would ever change that.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Gone In

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
...I am having my entire paralytic right leg amputated at the hip level. The other thing is the surgery is elective, and is being granted to me because of my extensive past medical history. The leg itself is healthy medically speaking and not diseased. It is important to do this right and have it square with my psyche. There is no second chance of course...
Good luck Robby, I hope you get some peace of mind
Old 03-01-2012, 12:03 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I remember my first drunk...trying to fit in, it lowered my inhibitions and incentives lying in bed and feeling the world spin around me. At the time if you asked, I would have said I was having fun. In reality I was just a scared, insecure teenager who felt less scared when I was drunk.

Tonight, when talking to my coach, I said that I am not angry at myself for the times I spent walking in darkness, because that is how I learned to seek the light and embrace myself. Why would I ever seek the dark again?

Also, as part of my early sobriety I trained myself to equate alcohol to vomit...wasn't hard to do since the last few months of drinking included vomitting on a regular basis. So now, even the smell of alcohol makes me gag.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:35 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tooling View Post
I hate to admit but but as much as I like being sober I would love to safely get drunk on the weekend.

But we all know the alcohol will kill you dead. That's why we are really here, because we are or were in pain.

I just thought of a point to tell new people here who can't understand why they can't quit. It's because it can be really fun. This is well documented. But do you want to die for it?

Hell no should be your answer.
If I could enjoy 2 drinks a day for the rest of my life, hell yes I would do it.

I love(d) sharing a bottle of wine with friends. My problem is that I would go home and have a couple more bottles.

But if I could stop at 2 glasses? I'd do that every freaking day.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Good!!! Keep it going.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Nope. No way.

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that I was never really happy when I was drinking. Never. During the few periods of my life where I was sober long enough to affect change, I was the happiest I've ever been. Why I went back time & time again I'm still trying to figure out. But I know the happiness was a sham. It only seemed real from within the bottle. Things look completely different from without.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

NO, I got tired of thinking about it all the time like a bad teenage crush.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:43 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

I really don't think I enjoy drinking that much. When I was younger, it was fun and I wasn't too out of control with it. Now, I mainly drink because of anxiety or depression. If I could enjoy one drink every now and then with a meal or celebration, then I might consider. Drinking turned into a need for me. I had times where I really didn't feel like drinking, but felt I had to to get through a difficult situation. If I could stop at one or two, drank at appropriate times, enjoyed it, and had no physical or psychological consequences, then maybe.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:33 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
FLA

Man!! That Would be fcking awesome!! And I would drink all the damn time haha why wouldn't you? No bad health effects means it'd be like drinking water. That be so awesome. I hear they have a synthetic alcohol in the uk with no bad health effects, but then again look at what happened with that synthetic weed... Anyways I don't know anyone who woulnt drink if there was no bad health effects. Geez I'm drooling at the thought.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:06 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Anyways I don't know anyone who woulnt drink if there was no bad health effects.
Hi, FLA, I'm ReadyAndAble.

And now you do.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:54 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Random Guy

My first thought when answering this question yes you know what I probably would. Now after doing some more thinking about it the answer is no, that and me initialy saying yes was a totaly sneaky AV, that had me fooled for a second there.

I say no because health problems aren't what got me to quit in the first place, it was a dissastisfaction in my life as a drunkard. I am only 29 and while there have been a few physcial effects from my drinking I would say there aren't all that many. I have some Gin blossums which I imagine I am predisposed to anyway being very fair skinned. I am out of shape by my personal standards due to the sedentairy life that drinking tends to encourage. But that is about it so far that I am aware of. I know that a year and a half ago I was told my cholesterol was a little high, but that is something that can be fixed easily enough by quitting especially considering my age.

So if health effects were not the reason I stopped why would the absence of them prompt me to start? That was what got me thinking the answer was no after all. Now I am starting to think of a new reason freshly formed, one that actually has me accomplishing goals and seeking a greater satisfaction in my life than alcohol has thus far offered. I don't know what the short term goals are going to be yet but I have an end state in mind, and I think I will work backwords from there to figure out how I need to proceed. No matter what i come up with I know the path I figure out is not going to be littered with beer cans like the one behind me, even if my liver were a mutant alcohol filtering master.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:08 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Random Guy

After writting that I came up with a question that I don't have the answer to yet and might be difficult for me say no too.

If I new that I could return to drinking for fun and not as a necessity would I? Meaning if I could control it and not resort to drinking by myself everyday, the whole moderation idea would I?

To be clear I know that I cannot I have proven that already, but as fantastical as we are getting with the previous question this one isn't anymore so.

So if a Genie popped out of a lamp and said "poof you now have the ability to drink in a non alcoholic manner permanantly" would you return to drinking?

I didn't want to entitle a thread that because of the inevitable comments it will get about triggering people which is a short road to developing into an argument about whether or not it does and therefore being appropriatly locked by the mods.

I am going to have to think about that one, because unlike some people here drinking especially socially was really fun for me. Unfortunatly I also drank every day socially or not and that I am looking to avoid. So I gave it up, because I lost the ability to control my drinking at some point and have learned enough here and else where to know that it is folley to think I can find it again. But what if the impossible happened and I knew I could control it would I drink? I am after writing this leaning torwards no again, but I like to understand the reasons behind my decision and am going to have to think about it some more. Of course according to AVRT that whole paragraph is flooded with AV influence so that should already answer my question.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Smile

Originally Posted by InsertNameHere View Post
So if a Genie popped out of a lamp and said "poof you now have the ability to drink in a non alcoholic manner permanantly" would you return to drinking?
NO.

Even without alcoholism, I don't want that kind of drunken buzz or high anymore. I like what I have and I have what I have not because of a threat of alcoholism being worse -- I like what I have because its more the real me then alcohol or drugs ever created for me. Sure in my early months and first year, the doom of alcoholism kept me going sober, but eventually I learned to be sober for its own sake. So of course, getting stoned or drunk would be a complete total downer absolutely.

I'm always in the sweet spot now -- and have been enjoying this life sans alcohol for decades now

So with or without alcoholism, me throw it all away for just another lousy drunk??

Old 04-06-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Member of the RESISTANCE

To the OP - a short sharp NO is the answer to that. Simply because as an alcoholic it's impossible for me to understand the implication of the question.

If I drank I wouldn't want to drink normally. I would want oblivion.

I'm not envious of the non alcoholic because they can drink and I can't. I'm envious of the non alcoholic because he/she doesn't have the same problems with fear and low self esteem that I have. Nor do they have the raging ego and self will which is in danger of crippling me and ruining my life EVERY time I leave my house! The actual drinking and using is only a SYMPTOM of the disease.