Notices

Im Not Even Sure!

Old 04-07-2012, 08:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
oak

"Sobriety is action.". I love that sentence.

Jeff- Congrats on the month sober. Even though you drank, it is still a big deal to have gone a month. I bet you did not think a month sober was possible a month or two ago. Getting and staying sober is very possible. It is just very hard to see that while drinking.

For me, getting support was very helpful. Groups, SR, therapy. I like the AVRT Crash Course on the Rational Recovery website. I also went to most groups that I could find- AA, SMART, etc.

You can find your way through this. Keep reading and posting.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Did you follow up on any of those links Jeff?
no good?

D
Old 04-08-2012, 05:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks guys and yes i did look into AA and other programs but as the weeks went on, i started to tell myself i didnt need it and i could do this with plain and simple will power. I've been reading up alot lately on alcoholism and that classic symptom is denial. I think the real problem i have with AA and other programs is my insecurity and fear of the subject. I know its the only way though now that im going to be able to stay on the wagon. I just hope i can be in a better place with this illness like many of you are now.

So im at Day 02 and am going to try to go to my first meeting this week putting my anxiety aside. Wish me luck
Old 04-08-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey Jeff,

I'm 22 now, and I'll be 23 in August. I only started drinking about 4 years ago. I realized that my life was totally unmanageable... and that I was absolutely obsessed with alcohol. I didn't have the dreams that you describe, but I was always thinking about when I could get my next drink. I'm on Day 43 after several past attempts like you seem to be describing and that obsession has become less and less everyday.

I've been going to AA, and that's worked well thus far as long as I've been giving it a solid, honest attempt.

You do have to make changes though, some of them are uncomfortable. I've had to limit my time with certain friends, and certainly limit the places I can go. I used to like going to nightclubs occasionally, but I haven't gone since I quit. It doesn't mean you can never go again, but early in sobriety you really want to avoid strong triggers. If you like Bars, I would definitely avoid going to bars for the near and foreseeable future. You just have to decide what is going to bring you closer to drinking again and do everything you can to avoid it, at least for the first few days.

Also, decide what you want more. Do you want to be sober and have a productive life? or Do you want to continue drinking like an alcoholic, like you describe. Once you make that choice, if you want to stay sober you really need to examine your life, actions, and friends and decide what is going to be enhancing or threatening your sobriety. It very often requires dramatic life changes, some of them are uncomfortable, but I'll tell you what, I'd much rather get a few sharp looks from "friends" than end up dead, or in jail, or have all my dreams and aspirations taken away by a drink.

This is just what has worked for me thus far, and I'm going to keep doing it as long as it continues to work.

Feel free to PM me.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations on 2 days!!