Notices

Can you have alcohol in the house?

Old 02-24-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Meow

My husband has his beer, and there's hard liquor around. None of my kind of beer, and no wine. Poor AH had to give up drinking wine with dinner when I quit. lol

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
People who quit smoking don't hang out with smokers either.
At confrerences, I quite often step outside with the smokers (when the weather's nice). They're a friendly bunch. Then again, it's been 13 years since I quit, and my husband still smokes, so it doesn't really bother me.

Originally Posted by Windblown View Post
No, I can not have it in the house, not on my husband's breath either....I must get away or I will die. Why doesn't he care about my sobriety? And he 'used' to be an alkie too...guess he got better...but I sure as heck got worse! I love it so much I hate it!
Windblown, I am in the same situation. It's not that my husband doesn't care, it's that he has his own issue with alcohol. I don't know if that's the case with you, but I know for me I just have to let my wanting him to quit go. It's not easy. (((hugs)))
Old 02-24-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I do not! I consider my home a safe place that I can live and not have to struggle with alcohol calling me. I did try though, and failed!
Old 02-24-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

l give my friends a beer when they visit me...
Old 02-24-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

double post... sorry
Old 02-24-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

There's a bottle of non-alcoholic champagne in the kitchen and I don't even like that! lol
Old 02-24-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

I can't have it in my house. When I went sober I poured everything down the drain, every last drop. I also ask visitors not to bring any in the house, or if they do to conceal it where i cannot see it, lol.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

For the first 6 months or so, we had no alcohol in the house.. then we had a BBQ and had leftover beer. It went in the fridge in the basement, my husband is a normal drinker..1 or 2 beers a couple times a month. Doesn't bother me to have it in here/down there.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heathersweeds View Post
I do not! I consider my home a safe place that I can live and not have to struggle with alcohol calling me. I did try though, and failed!
I so agree with this, heathersweeds. My home is a total safe haven for me, in every way. From people, from drama, from work, from booze. I love it. No alcohol here. I've served wine here with meals a couple times & just have my guests take it with them when they leave. No big deal.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

We had family over last weekend and there are a few bottles of wine in the pantry. My sister in law wasn't to happy tasting the wine that had gone bad. My wife will have a drink now or then. If friends or family want to drink at my house, they can bring it and take the left overs with them.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I have alcohol at my house, my husband has a beer or a drink once in awhile. It has not bother me and I hope it stays that way.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I am a bartender, so when I'm at work it's tough. I always associated drinking with friends and good times. It wasn't until recently when I "woke up" and realized how negatively alcohol was affecting my life and all the people I love. So when I see alcohol I associate it with something negitive, like losing my husband, children, or both. I, whether right or wrong made alcohol an evil , that I no longer wanted in my life. I won't lie if I had the choice of being around it or not I wouldn't. To me out sight and reach out of mind. Good luck to you and as Dori ( Finding Nemo) would say " Just keep swimming"
Old 02-26-2012, 04:50 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I'm newly sober, but I don't know can I say that it's bother me, usually not. We have it in our house coz I live with two people who drinks. And same time it just makes me stronger some way, coz I don't drink even I easily could.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I live alone so there's no reason to have it in the house, but at this point - two years sober - it wouldn't bother me. I'm a non drinker now.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:57 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

There's actually quite a lot of alcohol in our house. 7 or 8 bottles of wine. 2 or 3 bottles of vodka that my wife will make her daily caesar from. And the downstairs fridge is full of beer.

I don't drink alcohol so none of it is a problem for me.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:06 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

Beer yes, wine or hard no.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

It was several years before the husband starting drinking at home again after I got sober. His liquor is somewhere in the garage. I know it's there and not exactly hidden but not in plain site either.

I just don't want it right in my face. He usually has a drink on the back porch about once a month so in the garage is a good place for it.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

The day stopped the remaining beers from the night before stayed in the fridge for weeks. My husband who is not an alcoholic eventually drank them. I came home one night opened the fridge and breathed a sigh of relief. But those beers stayed in there for 30+ days which in the past would never have happened.

So closed beers yes. Open bottle of wine or whiskey no. Once a bottle was cracked I would drink it till it was gone. My parents had an open bottle of Jameson on their counter that I kept glancing at during my last visit. I found myself rushing out the door. Sad but true for now.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

We have several bottles of unopened wine in the house and they don't bother me at all.

However, there was one opened and re-corked bottle in the kitchen yesterday; I asked my husband to remove it because the thought and desire to uncork & pore crept into my head every time I found my self eye-to-eye with it. Fortunately, my husband readily complied, apologized for not thinking by leaving it around, & even complemented me on my efforts to maintain my sobriety. 99 days today. One day at a time.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

It doesn't bother me. I have a Riesling in the fridge I was given at xmas time, I haven't even been tempted to have it, in fact I must give it away. and there's always beer in the house, I was never a beer drinker though so I wouldn't touch it any way.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:09 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

We do not have any in my home. My husband is not an alcoholic, but was raised in home where they never drank. So, it was never an issue for him or his family. I am thankful I don't even have to make that decision. Most of our friends don't drink either.

Lily