Notices

Can you have alcohol in the house?

Old 02-23-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by vichloe View Post
That's like asking a man if he could pass up looking at a Playboy sitting on the coffee table.
If I see a pretty lady walking down the street I look, but that does not mean I want to jump in bed with her. Especially if I want to remain a happily married man.

I just bought some beer to replace the ones my friends finished two weeks ago. Also keep hard stuff in the upper cabinet and wine in the rack for my wife and company. It is just not for me. Booze is everywhere, nobody lives in a vacuum, I just know that it is not to enter my lips. Especially if I want to remain a happily sober person.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
once in a . . .

Originally Posted by scrambled2012 View Post
the urge to use is like a second personality, wispering sweet BS. I have failed in the past, therefore I want as many barriers, as much support, as few triggers, around me as possiable.
yeah. what he said.
i don't want it around, i don't want to be around it.
it took me 8 years to finally get sober.
nothing is worth the risk of losing that.
nothing.

Blue

Old 02-23-2012, 09:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm newly sober, and it doesn't bother me. My wife has the odd drink, and there's a few bottles of things she likes in the fridge or freezer (wine, rum, bourbon, whiskey) for her or our guests.

I was always a beer drinker, and there has been one bottle of my favorite beer in the fridge since day one. It's for my wife or whoever else wants it, just not me.

I put it in the back of the over crowded fridge, and it doesn't bother me one bit. I know it's not for me, and one won't do anything but screw my life up anyway.

If it were a 12 pack, I'd probably have an issue though.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
part time member

I like it out of sight but it doesn't bother me anymore.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

No, I can not have it in the house, not on my husband's breath either....I must get away or I will die. Why doesn't he care about my sobriety? And he 'used' to be an alkie too...guess he got better...but I sure as heck got worse! I love it so much I hate it!
Old 02-24-2012, 12:12 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

I don't have a problem with it, but what's in the house is very dark beer (which my husband likes)... and no matter how badly I "needed" a drink I never could stomach the stuff.

There's nothing in the house that would be awesomely tempting to me, like rum or sake. It would be fine to have that in the house if we had guests who like it, but I'm guessing I'd send the rest with them when they left.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:57 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You'll get a variety of opinions.

Personally, unless you're considering someone who lives with you, I don't get why you'd have it around.

I don't have alcohol in my house - there's no requirement for me to do so because I don't drink it.

D
I never keep alcohol in the house. My husband keeps beers in the garage and I get really annoyed if he puts them in the fridge and start telling him off. Having said that I don't have parties any more, or invite peeps round because in my drinking days They were an excuse just to get drunk with whoever I invited round
Old 02-24-2012, 01:10 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Family came to visit\flop at the house while mom was in the hospital. He brought a 12-pack of beer into the house, he smokes pot and doesn't drink much, but he knew I was ~4 months sober and brought it in anyway... and set them on top of my water.
They stayed for a two weeks and the beer was there the whole time, I was more pissed off that he seemed to have done that on purpose and at one point I thought about smashing them out on the driveway. I should have, I was very stressed out at the time, but I did not even want to smell it.
Was a good test though and I had no urge to 'smoke' either.

Oh and I still have my Mr. Beer brewing kit boxed up and ready to give to someone. I had hoped my brother would take it, but it doesn't temped me as it takes 4 to 6 weeks\plus work to be complete the process def. no impulse relapse there.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:35 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by Jauburn View Post
Can you walk right by those bottles in the kitchen every day and not be bothered? Or do you have to have it "out of sight"?
I don't have alcohol in my house when I want it I will buy enough for that night coz otherwise the next morning ill end up pouring what evers left
Old 02-24-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Chutzpah

Originally Posted by tomdecel View Post
If I see a pretty lady walking down the street I look, but that does not mean I want to jump in bed with her. Especially if I want to remain a happily married man.
Well, you are a better man than I! 'Cause if I saw a bottle of Tanquery walking down the street I wouldn't just look; I'd sniff and touch too. It'd be on like Donkey Kong!
Old 02-24-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Not me, either. I'm addicted to alcohol. Of course I can do whatever I like but why put temptation in front of me? Why would I want to be around it?
People who quit smoking don't hang out with smokers either.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

My bf keeps it around at the house but it doesn't bother me. He isn't an alcoholic like me and if he wants to enjoy a drink every couple of days I am okay with that. At first it was kinda difficult but my problem was always going out and getting drunk with my friends at the pub not drinking at home. I haven't bought alcohol since I quit drinking other than a four pack of mini bottles I use for cooking which are stored in the back of my pantry.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

There's been a can of PBR in the fridge for I don't know how long. I actually forgot about it til I saw this thread. It's for some kind of beer-infused yard treatment??? Now if it were vodka I might have an issue. (I hate beer and I know that one can, even if it is one of those big ones, wouldn't satisfy me.)
Old 02-24-2012, 09:53 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm a musician and spend lots of time in clubs and bars, around people getting toasted, and it never bothers me. I've somehow, over the years, learned to just tune it out.

I don't like having alchohol in my house however. There, it talks to me. There have been times where people visited and left beer or wine in my fridge, and after a month or 2 of seeing it everytime I opened the door I had to wonder what I was doing. Got rid of it, and decided I just don't want it around. Don't care if you drink in my house, just take it with you when you leave.

For me it's s subtle thing, but having it in my consciousness is just something I find no value in. Don't want to entertain the thoughts of how that "might" make me feel if I just decided to have one.

Also, which I guess adds to all this for me... when I just got sober I lived in my parents house. Near the stairs to my bedroom (and bathroom) there was a little cart with some bottles on it. I would focus on a bottle of wine that was in front. On new years eve that year, 6 months sober, I was alone with my gfriend. I went upstairs for a minute, and on my way down, for no reason I could understand at the time, I opened the bottle and took a mouthful. As if I were posessed, or just mad at the bottle and wanted to say, "There! Now shut up and stop talking to me!" I immediately called my sponor, and dumped the rest of the bottle. I considered calling it a slip but realized if I had, I for sure wasn't going to waste my 6 months sober on one mouthful that didn't even give me a buzz. I kept counting. I'm glad I did, as years later that 6 months means nothing. Had I started counting over it could have very well meant my life. Rereading that I realize that probably has more to do with my not wanting alcohol around than I give it credit for.

Yep. Don't want any alcohol in my house, unless you're drinking it.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
once in a . . .

slip = swallowing alcohol
Old 02-24-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlueMoon View Post
slip = swallowing alcohol
Ok. Then I just celebrated 27 years sober this Jan. 1st. Glad there was no internet back then for someone to give me that definition.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
once in a . . .

congrats!
NOT trying to pick a fight with ya
i'm just repeating what "they" have been saying around the tables during my 20yrs sober - and that it worked for ME.

Blue
Old 02-24-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlueMoon View Post
congrats!
NOT trying to pick a fight with ya
i'm just repeating what "they" have been saying around the tables during my 20yrs sober - and that it worked for ME.

Blue
No problem. Thanks. I'm just having a defensive day here for some reason. I think it's time for me to get off the internet.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
once in a . . .

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
No problem. Thanks. I'm just having a defensive day here for some reason. I think it's time for me to get off the internet.
Been there, done that!
Have a coffee break, take a walk + come on back!

Blue
Old 02-24-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I'm 4 months sober and it doesn't bother me to have it in the house we have wine, beer and spirits for guests and and my wife has a glass or 2 a day. I am the one with the problem, I don't mind that other people can drink poison responsibly.