Notices

30 day binge

Old 02-22-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

30 day binge

It's always something. I've been tapering off Ativan for sinc Xmas (1mg a day) I've always been a social drinker, couple nights a week. But for the past month I've been drinking 4-6 drinks a night. Now I'm afraid to stop. I'm searching for a new doctor because mine is very unsupportive. I'm scared because I usually drink at night and last night around 7 I started feeling awful and when I had my first 2 drinks I felt better. Now I know I need to stop. Help
Old 02-22-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chutzpah

First, you have to think about why you want to stop.. Then, how are you going to do it. Sounds like you are already taking benzo's so they may not help with withdrawals. Not trying to scare you but benzo's and drinking are very dangerous, pretty sure that's what killed Whitney Houston..

Do you think you need to be hospitalized to detox? Do you have a support system? Would you like to go to AA?

Where there is a will there is a way. You must believe you can do this! Maybe try to do something else tonight at 7pm, go to an AA meeting, go bowling with friends, a movie?

It's not fun or easy but you can do it!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA member

sunnydaysoon please seek medical advice.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

sunny, the folks at AA will be able to help you.

Do the right actions and the feelings and results will follow.

Wishing you the best.

Bob
Old 02-22-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcohol

My doctor is 100% not helpful and on looking for another. I'm committed to not drinking. I am aware of the dangers of mixing the two and will no longer be drinking . Just nervous to how I'm going to feel??????
Old 02-22-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober is Better

Originally Posted by sunnydaysoon View Post
My doctor is 100% not helpful and on looking for another. I'm committed to not drinking. I am aware of the dangers of mixing the two and will no longer be drinking . Just nervous to how I'm going to feel??????
probably like crap, i know i did when i stopped drinking, but drink a lot of gatorade (the sugar will help tremendously)... but after about a week or less, hopefully you'll start feeling back to normal. it's scary but totally worth it. I would keep a close eye on it though, if you start to feel too bad go to the doctor or hospital to get checked out. best of luck in your sobriety, ill keep you in my prayers (i mean no offense if youre not into the prayer thing)

WSS
Old 02-22-2012, 10:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I do NA cause i came to see that "when we use drugs in any form or substitute one for another, we release our addiction all over again" p18 basic text

that was my using history- cocaine, hashish, then booze , then pot , then vicoden, then opium then booze and pot... always had to have something to 'fill the void'

16 years clean n sober - big big life today
Old 02-22-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just curious if it's only been 20 days do you think that would affect the severity of w/d?
Old 02-22-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Chutzpah

Everyone has different symptoms. My biggest concern was my blood pressure. If I hadn't gone to the doctor before detoxing I probably would've stroked out. I had to take blood pressure medicine.

I'm confused, your title says 30 day binge but then you ask if 20 days would be different. Are you also quitting benzos at the same time? I would really see a doctor, even an urgent care and have your blood pressure checked out before detoxing. Maybe have a friend stay with you.
Please take care of yourself! You are worth it!!
Old 02-22-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back sunnydaysoon

you've not be happy with your Dr for a while so I'd suggest it's definitely time to find another.

If you feel concerned about your health beforehand please remember the ER.

D
Old 02-22-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi I'm really not sure how many days it's been. My BP is usually pretty good. My mom has a machine I'll check tomorrow. I just feel like crap and an anxious. I'm trying to taper off low dose ativan. The only thing that makes me nervous is I get hot face. It doesnt turn red just gets hot. Weird?
I hope tomorrow I feel better :-0