Notices

Did you find a new hobby?

Old 02-22-2012, 06:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Chutzpah

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
Check out some of the pole dancers on this page. Felix - 2009 World Pole Dance Champion - YouTube

That looks incredibly hard, I was thinking of the kind in bars.
Oh, I am not knocking pole dancing, it takes incredible strength, especially upper body. I can only do girl chin ups right now..

I was kidding cause if I told my hubby about my new hobby was pole dancing, he's be racing to Home Depot in a jiffy!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am finding myself getting back into running, swimming and biking. I signed up for a sprint tri in April. I am looking forward to beating last years time. I hadntbreally trained and was hungover when I raced.

My mother in law does those same eggs. She tried to teach me, but I was horrible. Yours are beautiful!

Lots of great hobbies here.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I got into fountain pen collecting. In order to use them, I started journaling and writing letters. Yes, paper correspondance.
Way cool Carl. I love fountain pens too.....but I don't have the $ to really collect them. I do, though, love writing with them. I used to have a limited edition Visconti but it was stolen when I was at work. Now, I'm using a Pelikan Souveran 600 in blue. Nicest writing pen I've owned.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I got into fountain pen collecting. In order to use them, I started journaling and writing letters. Yes, paper correspondance.
Way cool Carl. I love fountain pens too.....but I don't have the $ to really collect them. I do, though, love writing with them. I used to have a limited edition Visconti but it was stolen when I was at work. Now, I'm using a Pelikan Souveran 600 in blue. Nicest writing pen I've owned.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I spend time preparing delicious organic meals. It takes time off my hands and health into the body. When a movie or web wont suffice I read and learn more about spiritual practice

Beautiful eggs and great post
Old 02-23-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

There are a lot of things I hope to get back into - woodturning & wood working, fishing, camping mainly. I have gotten seriously involved in SCUBA. Since the diving kind of sucks up here in upstate NY I volunteered to do Milfoil remediation last summer. 2 to 3 divers go down and roll 20 foot by 35 foot mats that have rebar across at every 3-4 feet. You work in absolute zero visibility. It was actually fun. I'm going to do it again this summer and I found an additional lake where they need divers to survey and locate/mark milfoil beds. I've joined the local SCUBA club and they seem to be pretty active so I may get to go on some local trips. Once my daughter's Alaska episode is over I plan to go tropical. Wife and daughter and son and his fiancee can come or not, but after the past months I NEED a respite. When I'm underwater I zone out and am just there. So serene and peaceful.

Last edited by Charon; 02-23-2012 at 06:07 AM. Reason: miskeying
Old 02-23-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
The Long Climb

Nice thread

All the hobbies I had were incorporated into my drinking. I used to love all things computer, gardening, walking, but I learned to do all those things while destroying myself. They had become triggers.

I needed to find something completely new and foreign to me. So, after trying many new hobbies, I took up skateboarding. Something I could never do while drinking! It was a great tool to improve my balance. I skateboarded everywhere for 2 years.

I don't do it anymore. It served its purpose. I am now back into my love of computers, gardening, and walking. Once I got past the newness of sobriety I could face the triggers of the hobbies I love.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Loving this thread! I'm doing some things I used to do, like reading and crossword puzzles, cooking. But I'm doing a lot of things I never in a million years would've done, like crafts, home decorating/light remodel, learning Spanish, joined a book club, learning to sew. The extra cash in my pocket, time on my hands, and brains in my head have all led to me really want to enjoy this life and soak up every single second.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vinepest View Post
Strangely, one of my hobbies which existed during my drinking/using days---making music---has all but disappeared since quitting. I still jam out now and then, but I haven't written a song in years. Actually I'm thinking about changing that later today, but we'll see how it goes.
It's pretty much the opposite for me. I'm sure you'll get back into it. For me, when I was a drunk, I was just too far gone and dry of passion/motivation/confidence in order to write anything. When I did write something, it seemed like garbage. Before I was drinking, I would write probably a dozen songs a week. While I was a drunk for a few years, I probably wrote about 5 songs in total that I can remember and that I still play. I just wrote a song yesterday that I intend to continue working on later.

When the muse comes back to you, I'm sure the music will come out of you again. All songwriters have their dry spots.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
JEANS

Originally Posted by vichloe View Post
This is the most interesting reply to me in this thread! That is awesome, Jeans! You are brave and must have great self esteem. I have to admit, I would be too shy to try pole dancing. Now, if I was still drinking my daily Tanquery I'd do it!

I'm not telling my hubby about your hobby or he'll be outside digging a hole for a flag pole! Haahhaha
The pole dancing is for me only, I'm too shy to even show my fiance. In my class it's mainly mums trying to get fit and not saucy at all.

I did my trapeze lesson earlier and it was the best thing ever. I don't have a lot of confidence naturally but I'm forcing myself to do things that I've always wanted to do in my earlier years.

Good luck in finding some hobbies, once you find something you like you'll get a kick out of it