Notices

Maintaining longterm sobriety

Old 02-22-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by munchkin05 View Post
Well I'd say it's actually going pretty good!
I keep a journal here ALMOST every day (been getting busy on the weekends so sometimes I forget until just as I'm going to sleep and then remember OOPS! I forgot to post!).
I see two therapists almost weekly. One is just a traditional therapist who is helping me work through issues with my family and myself. The other is a substance abuse therapist.
I work out at the gym about 3 to 5 times per week.
I now work with a personal trainer twice a month and sometimes get little freebies here and there.
I meditate (or try to) every evening before bed.
I'm trying to get into yoga because I love the mind-body idea of it but I actively practice pilates.
I'm also trying to get into spinning just because I have bad knees and it's something I think I might like.
Most of all, I've been taking time out to take care of me.
When I was living in my alcoholic career I was so good at forgetting myself and instead I would give everything to everyone else. Then at the end of the day I would collapse crying because I couldn't take on more and then just drown myself in a drink.
Now, I'm learning to say no, that I must help myself before I can help others.
I guess I'm learning to be at peace with myself and learning that I can't do everything. That some things just have to go with not being done (I was the super hypercritical, perfectionist who used alcohol to make me forget that I wasn't perfect as my family expected me to be)

Oh and thanks all for your congrats!
Yeah, you got it going on, and its so clear you're understanding your many options going forward. Living a recovered life is not rocket science when we honestly have some TLC for ourselves first, and then generously give to others from that place of strength. Working with others as much as my honest self would allow me, was the greatest action taken that supported my recovery. A consistent daily something for me and something for them won the day each and every time for me even in the worse of struggles.

You understand your use of alcohol enough to see how many different ways there really is to quit that abuse. Munchkin, your open mind and heart is an awesome power to behold!!

Old 02-22-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

A few years ago I heard a Priest (the Priest was about 25 yrs sober at the time) give a talk at a neighboring Group.
He said that he had only asked himself 2 questions in AA.....

1) In the beginning, do I want to quit drinking or not? He answered "Yes"
2) After about 10 years, "how well do I want to get?"

I think anyone who's been around for a while can relate to the Priest.
That's why I'm here today.

Wishing everyone the best in their recovery.

Bob R
Old 02-22-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Day-to-day for me it has been exercise that has calmed me and kept me grounded. I am trying to also live my life in balance. Not replace one addiction for another. When I get a craving out of nowhere, or a really strong craving, I think it through to the end and I am brutally honest with myself.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I see alcohol for what is really is, poison.
I see alcohol has no benefits whatsoever.
I see alcohol as evil and insidious.

Why would I go back?
Old 02-22-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by munchkin05 View Post
Well I tried.....but I kept falling asleep. LOL I read numerous other books dealing with sobriety but the BB reminded me kind of the bible. Long and extemely boring with no end in sight. LOL
You should be able to read the first 164 pages in a few hours. It is fascinating to read how well a lot of it relates to a lot of us, and it is very easy to comprehend. There are old fashioned words but the meaning for them is usually easy to fit in. I would suggest reading one chapter a night, about 20 minutes, until you get to 164. If you don't learn a lot from it and I will be shocked.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Just get comfortable in sobriety... tall order, huh? LOL

AA helps, Mindfulness, AVRT techniques, Hobbies/Exercise/Interests, Detachment, Spirituality... all that... It happens, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly.

Some days I don't think about it at all.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nirvana1 View Post
You should be able to read the first 164 pages in a few hours. It is fascinating to read how well a lot of it relates to a lot of us, and it is very easy to comprehend. There are old fashioned words but the meaning for them is usually easy to fit in. I would suggest reading one chapter a night, about 20 minutes, until you get to 164. If you don't learn a lot from it and I will be shocked.
I got halfway through the chapter of "We Agnostics" and then finally gave up in frustration. Maybe I'll try skipping that chapter.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
Just get comfortable in sobriety... tall order, huh? LOL

Some days I don't think about it at all.

Actually many days that is me now. I have noticed a cycle to my cravings so I know when to anticipate when I will hear that AV (I call it my BFF longtime removed now!) During those times I have my peppermint patties nearby, I do not NO MATTER what skip the gym, and I keep very busy.
Oh and I keep plenty of fresh coffee beans roasted for the numerous cups of espresso I know I will crave.
Three weeks a months things are more than tolerable.