Notices

cold medicine question

Old 02-19-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

cold medicine question

hi

im 3 days sober and managed to get sick in that time. i took one pill of daytime cold medicine today, no alcohol, but i checked ingredients and it has "pseudoephedrine" in it. i feel like i lost my sober time....any advice?
Old 02-19-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Different people have different opinions about this stuff, but, in my humble opinion, you did not lose your sober time. If you take medication for a specific ailment and take that medication as directed, then, in my opinion, you are fine. The fact that you checked to make sure it did not contain alcohol tells me that your intentions were good and you have no reason to feel guilty or feel like you have messed up your sobriety. Other people are more strict about it, but your recovery is your own, not theirs.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ok, i feel really bad about it...i actually woke up at my parents place today and it was them who gave me one of the pills. by the time i had "woken up" i realized that it could of had something bad in it that would mess with my sobriety.

so good idea to not take anymore?
Old 02-19-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

If it concerns you, then yes, stop taking it. Go to the drug store and get something that does not have alcohol or anything else in it that would cause you concern. There are going to be times when you are sick and need to take medication. The most important thing is to take it as it is prescribed and only as long as you really need it. Sobriety depends on common sense and rigorous honesty with yourself, more than anything. To thine own self be true and all that.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No, you have not lost your sober time. Stick with it and your cold will pass.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you feel bad about it, don't take anymore - but if you have a cold and you took medication as directed for that purpose, not to get high...then no, I don't personally believe you lost your sober time

D
Old 02-19-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Pseudoephedrine and ephedrine are bronchodilators. Ephedrine is also used as a mild stimulant and diet aid. Ephedrine was also used by some as a party drug because of it's stimulant effects. It has the exact opposite effect of alcohol if anything.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ok thanks guys

feel much better about this

also, is it okay for me to skip a meeting tonight? maybe just read the big book and get to bed early? i dont want to get others sick and im feeling REALLY bad today. i dunno what to do...i know i wont use but i was hoping to do 90 meetings in 90 days type thing
Old 02-19-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by lovetodrink View Post
ok thanks guys

feel much better about this

also, is it okay for me to skip a meeting tonight? maybe just read the big book and get to bed early? i dont want to get others sick and im feeling REALLY bad today. i dunno what to do...i know i wont use but i was hoping to do 90 meetings in 90 days type thing
No one can tell you its okay or not. Its really your decision to make. It would make no difference to me, but thats me, see?

I would look after my being sick and then get back to meetings ASAP since you want to do 90 in 90, but its your call. Being sober is all about being responsible, so this is good practice for you too.

Hope you feel better soon.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Relax, eat a bunch of oranges and let your cold run it's coarse. If you're really wanting 90 in 90, go to two meeting a day when your feeling better.