Notices

Question about blood pressure

Old 02-19-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Chutzpah

Question Question about blood pressure

I have done some reading of past threads that most alcoholics have high blood pressure. Why does alcohol raise blood pressure? (was also reassuring to know that blood pressure returns to normal once you have quit for several weeks. The body is amazing at healing itself once we stop poisoning it!)

Also, the doctor warned me the most dangerous aspect of withdrawl is spike of blood pressure during the first several days after quitting. Why does this happen during detox? Is it the anxiety?

I have been monitering my blood pressure hourly. I feel when it is up. I feel flushed, headache, pounding behind eyes and will take meds. Just curious as to why it spikes when you stop drinking..
Old 02-19-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's because in withdrawal your nervous system goes into a state of hypervigilance. The sedating effects are reversed in withdrawal hence the raised B/P, anxiety, sense of impending doom and all the other fun stuff. You can predict the withdrawal effects of most drugs by looking at what they do when active, withdrawal will be the reverse. My B/P went as high as 220/120 in withdrawal but is normal now.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no idea - not a Dr - but welcome to SR Vichchloe

D
Old 02-20-2012, 07:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Day 13 and my BP is still high. 140's/ 90's

I'm hoping it comes down in a few weeks or sooner.

vichloe....Was yours high before you quit?
Old 02-20-2012, 08:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am NOT giving medical advice, but I used to be an RN before my own addiction took that career away. Some people are predisposed to high blood pressure..it runs in the family.

Most of the time, if this is not the case, it's a sign that you're body is at stress. It's trying to keep things running, the best way it knows how. Alcohol can stess your body, withdrawals can send your BP through the roof and cause strokes..or death.

The best thing I can offer is keep a log of your BP, and take that log to a dr. One elevated BP may be no big deal...people have elevated BP just because they're going to a dr. (called "white coat syndrome"). A log gives your dr. a better idea.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-20-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dude after one of my crazy binges I was put on clonidine 3 times daily. It is blood pressure medication. If I walked up a flight of stairs I'd be so light headed. I was using amphetamines and clonidine trying to find the perfect combination so I could just get moving. Those were bad times. I'm glad I am not there again. Now my blood pressure is slightly high, but I am healthy. Its amazing how well the body can recover, especially if you're still young.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Chutzpah

Originally Posted by ranchero500 View Post
Day 13 and my BP is still high. 140's/ 90's

I'm hoping it comes down in a few weeks or sooner.

vichloe....Was yours high before you quit?
Yes, my blood pressure was high before I quit. Probably because I was drinking so much and for many years..

I go back in three weeks and get a liver/kidney panel done. I am keeping a log at home of my blood pressure because as Amy said, I freak out at the doctor and they get even higher readings.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

More like your body got used to the alcohol also, that is why during withdrawal stages your body seems to look for it and if it does not, reach certain levels or body that should not happen like high blood pressure.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Holy crap. I haven't had a drink in 6 days and I took my pulse rate. 85. Usually its 120! Alcohol has some crazy effects on the body when heavily abused.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Several years ago I got in the habit of drinking twice a week. I got high blood pressure and it scared me. I started excersizing, Quit smoking, reduced my drinking to once a week lost wieght. All of this helped but I always had a spike after drinking. I stoped drinking every week and found I could get away with it about once every three weeks. I still exercise but I have regained the weight (more muscle though) but my blood pressure is 118 over 75 with a heart rate of 65 to 75 BPM. I find that if I drink more that once every three weeks for any period of time my blood pressure spikes. Two weeks ago I was on vacation and did a little extra drinking and my BP went up to 130 over 90 which isn't that bad. But my heart rate was 95 BPM while resting. It is scary because it lasted for about 4 days. I have also been neglecting my cardio excercise because I enjoy weight lifting more. I can't do that. Less cardio and more alcahol equal high BP. Be careful.