Notices

Expectations from a DUI

Old 02-20-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

This is a very good thread for the dangers, and penalties for driving under the influence. I had no idea how much it cost ($5000 and up)...wow. I have driven drunk probably a hundred times- no accidents or arrests. Was just plain stupid. I got sober after a close call with a dui- long story, but I was very lucky.

Havent had a drink since....almost 100 days.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tooling View Post
You should start researching the internet thoroughly. i found this link

Arizona DUI - DWI - Extreme DUI - Aggravated DUI

if i can't post a link and it gets edited then search google for extreme dui arizona. That's how i found it. i would read as many links as you have time.

And just from quickly reading that AZ ain't no slouch with DUI's. He needs to walk through every hoop they tell him to. Whether it's pay fines or go to jail for a little bit. it will drag on for what seems like forever. But he will in the near future be able to look back and say that was so stupid and that he is so glad it's over with.

Look forward, get sober now, and man up to what he did. It's the only way he can do it. Just be there for him and tell him he has to go through it whatever it is.
Well, this is pretty much the plan! He is 'manning' up to what he did. He has told me that he is done drinking forever(yet he hasn't asked me to throw out my wine and hasn't gotten rid of his beer). My theory is: Actions speak louder than words. He says he will attend AA and do any court ordered counseling or rehab that they offer or require. I would love to see him really get sober, not just be dry. But, that will take a commitment from him to turn his life around. I've been in Al Anon for a while so I just keep working my program and let him focus on himself. For now, he is taking responsibility for his actions. I encouraged him to make an appointment with his psychiatrist to talk to him about the suicidal thoughts and to address the issue of his antidepressant meds(which I believe had some interaction with his binge drinking). Anyway, it's one day at a time right now and I thank all of you for your input.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
In Recovery

1st DUI:
6 month license suspension, cost about $6000 total

2nd DUI (within the 10 year time frame)
2 year license suspension, 18 months probation (6 months supervised with regular testing), lost my weapons permit, approx 450 hours of classes and community service. Cost on this one I pegged at around $50,000 with lost work, the fact I had a new truck and a boat that I couldn't drive, lawyer fees, you name it... oh yeah, and 10 days in jail.

Consider these days the first one is not too bad. The 2nd one is where the SHTF, and a 3rd will land you in prison.

I get my license back in September. I had to sell my truck and my Jeep, we only have one car, which gets us around but I refuse to drive - oh hell no!

The stress while on probation is not fun either. They can come search your property at any time and even if they find a beer can in your back yard that someone threw over the fence they can send you back to jail. I kept having bad dreams, waking up at 4am thinking they would be at my house first thing in the morning, so I would wander my yard looking for anything that could get me in trouble.

Another thing to consider, which is why they put the interloks in your car now, people who drink are usually unaware that when you wake up after only having a few beers the night before, it can still detect alcohol.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

The idea that every alcoholic "will learn their lesson" and sober up is not always true. I have known many alcoholics who continue to drive with no license/insurance and just don't care.
These "tough" DUI laws that are popping up in every state scare a certain percentage of people. The rest treat the DUI/license game as a joke. Here in IL, the prisons are overcrowded and judges have to make the tough decision of who to put in prison. The armed robber or drunk driver? I hope your husband decides that this is a "bottom" but the truth is for some death is an alcoholics final bottom.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lizatola View Post
Well, this is pretty much the plan! He is 'manning' up to what he did. He has told me that he is done drinking forever(yet he hasn't asked me to throw out my wine and hasn't gotten rid of his beer). My theory is: Actions speak louder than words. He says he will attend AA and do any court ordered counseling or rehab that they offer or require. I would love to see him really get sober, not just be dry. But, that will take a commitment from him to turn his life around. I've been in Al Anon for a while so I just keep working my program and let him focus on himself. For now, he is taking responsibility for his actions. I encouraged him to make an appointment with his psychiatrist to talk to him about the suicidal thoughts and to address the issue of his antidepressant meds(which I believe had some interaction with his binge drinking). Anyway, it's one day at a time right now and I thank all of you for your input.
He is going to be on probation so he won't be allowed to drink. If he sneaks it and gets called in for a pee test or even a face to face talk he will get in some deep trouble.

Start talking to a lawyer and he needs to prepare to be sober for the law. With a stroke of luck he will enjoy his new found sobriety and continue it after the law leaves him alone.

DUI's can be good for a person. But the feeling of hands reaching into your wallet every time you turn around gets really old. pay this pay that per them pay her pay him.. terrible. It will screw you over financially for a bit.

And the bad thoughts he is having... DUI's make people feel really bad. Like they are scum. I can understand why he feels that why but it's just temporary. Just keep reinforcing that and make him understand it could be far far worse.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

lets see dwai spent over 5k with fines, lawyer, added insurance cost and had a job offer retracted because there was a 5 year look back on driving record. With potential earnings I would say atleast 75k - 80k. Now I am just about to get a job offer but they have to conduct a background check and have to wait 3-5 days to see if they disqualify me for my dwai 3 yrs 10 months ago... ironic thing is it didn't get me sober... I also vowed to stop but four days later I was back because I thought I was fine and felt sorry for myself.

Bottom line is I am lucky to be alive and sober for 14 months and able to see my 14 month old son grow up... As much as being in jail over night, losing a job, and having to worry about it haunting me for the rest of my life it is better then being dead as many others who drink and drive are, its better then taking another ones life because of it, its better then being in jail for 1-20 years like many others.

It will be tough for him to see that he is so lucky because he isn't thinking normally if he does drink alot but hopefully one day he will wake up and want to be sober for you and his sake.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tooling View Post
He is going to be on probation so he won't be allowed to drink. If he sneaks it and gets called in for a pee test or even a face to face talk he will get in some deep trouble.

Start talking to a lawyer and he needs to prepare to be sober for the law. With a stroke of luck he will enjoy his new found sobriety and continue it after the law leaves him alone.

DUI's can be good for a person. But the feeling of hands reaching into your wallet every time you turn around gets really old. pay this pay that per them pay her pay him.. terrible. It will screw you over financially for a bit.

And the bad thoughts he is having... DUI's make people feel really bad. Like they are scum. I can understand why he feels that why but it's just temporary. Just keep reinforcing that and make him understand it could be far far worse.
He has been talking to a lawyer and the first court hearing is next Monday. I'm prepared for the financial effects. We have some cash put away, thankfully, and I'm thinking it's not going to kill us but it's definitely going to set us back and we won't be doing any home improvements or buying a newer car in the next 2 years or so.
He seems to be calmer about the whole thing but I'm sure that will swing during different stages of the process. And, I'm sure it will swing for me, too. I waffle between being angry and being compassionate for his plight.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Oh yeah, I remember the extreme humiliation and depression that I felt. I had to spend the night in jail and call a friend to come bail me out the next day. One would think that going through all that would have made me realize that I shouldn't drink, but, nope. I continued to drink for about 2 more years before I finally decided to do something about it.
Revived this because still seeing the effects of at least one known dui years later. If a person actually got caught driving under the influence not at a checkpoint I'd say there's a good chance there issues to be dealt with.

That's what's happening here. The alkie/addict drinks more and more frequently now. And yes he was depressed(not ashamed-"so what I know lots of people who got a dui") of wondering what people would think of him. It's several years later and to him it was just an inconvenience and he holds more resentment that ever for those that did not help him financially pay his fines & fees. He blames his current batch of money issues on the lack of financial aid several yearS ago. He doesn't get it was his penalty to pay. To top it off he paid them off but had to do it on a plan and was angered he couldn't get lump sums of cash to be done with it. Penalties are not just supposed to be administrative process to complete. There are consequences out of the system.

Yes expect fees and fines and be glad that money isn't jail time.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Here in Calif. if ones alcohol level is well over the limit in most cases a lawyer can't do much. It's a pretty set program of what happens to the first time offender.

Calif. usually lose of license for one month.
DUI school for three or four months.
A nice fine.
A rise in ones insurance.

Drunks usually make it through these first time programs with not much effort.
The real problem comes to light if and when they receive their second, third or fourth DUI.
A real life changer.

MB
Old 01-23-2016, 08:07 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Here in Calif. if ones alcohol level is well over the limit in most cases a lawyer can't do much. It's a pretty set program of what happens to the first time offender.

Calif. usually lose of license for one month.
DUI school for three or four months.
A nice fine.
A rise in ones insurance.

Drunks usually make it through these first time programs with not much effort.
The real problem comes to light if and when they receive their second, third or fourth DUI.
A real life changer.

MB
What you describe about making it through the program and/or repeat offenders is pretty accurate. The person in question has had scattered duis since his late teens except now they are gray haired middle aged man drinking and drugging more than ever.

I do think someone at his required program saw something because he said he had to appeal their decision to refer him for formal counseling. He basic boasted how he fooled or convinced the supervisors he didn't need it. He was using steroids which helped his appearance compared to more hardcore alkies and addicts.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:29 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

As mentioned above each state is very different. However 1st offence is not the end of the world..

Get an attorney for sure. I would have him call any friend or coworker, anyone in the area who might refer a good attorney, if not call 5 and look online for the best DUI attorney in the area. If there's a chance he could fight it I would. If not I would stop drinking, attend AA every day and log the meetings.. This will go far with the DA and Judge..

Hope he learned his lesson and changes his ways.. Living sober ain't bad at all!

Wishing you the best!!
Old 01-23-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

This thread is from 2012 everyone--

lizatola is still posting on friends and family if you are finding this thread helpful.
The short version of the rest of the story is her husband didn't quit, they are now divorced,
he's still drinking and she's doing great.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

My experience is from reading and talking to friends, it also depends on where you life and what kind of job you have.

Here it is very serious if you are convicted, loose your license for a year, have a criminal record which can take your job away as you can't be bonded if you have a criminal record and travel to many places is now out the window.

Under certain circumstances I have friends who received a conditional sentence and if they followed it they were discharged with no record but i am not a lawyer and no idea how that works.

Andrew