SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Alcohol in aftershave and mouthwash (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/249191-alcohol-aftershave-mouthwash.html)

notwell 02-18-2012 12:57 PM

Alcohol in aftershave and mouthwash

I recently changed mouthwash and now am curious about aftershave, is alcohol getting in my system by using alcohol based aftershave?

langkah 02-18-2012 01:09 PM

People taking antabuse sometimes have a reaction to aftershave, doubt if external use will cause you problems. You could apply it to your clothes, or where you're haired over instead of on bare skin.

sugarbear1 02-18-2012 01:17 PM

Clarence Snyder, alkie # 40 from the original group, has a speaker tape where he says something about the people who used aftershave or perfume then had a relapse. Yes, some of us are that sensitive. Oils are an alternative. Mouthwash without alcohol is also available.

notwell 02-18-2012 01:24 PM

I have read about folks relapsing by drinking household stuff. That is not my concern. Im worried that with the aftershave is that its getting into my system thru my skin.

I just want to make sure before using it again on my face that its not getting into my blood stream and confusing my new system so early in sobriety.

notwell 02-18-2012 01:25 PM

notwell 02-18-2012 01:26 PM

my mistake, double post.

Dee74 02-18-2012 02:09 PM

I don't use aftershave anyway (full beard) but if I was in early recovery and worried, I just wouldn't use aftershave, notwell :)

D

Elisabeth888 02-18-2012 07:02 PM

If it bothers you, don't use it.

I won't use that hand sanitizer. It smells like pure alcohol to me. I don't want to eat it or anything, it just grosses me out. Which at this point, I am very glad it does.

sunrise1 02-18-2012 09:06 PM

I use hairspray with some alcohol content, though very low. Never had a reaction. However, occasionally I'll get a whiff of a different brand- and my reaction has been slight nausea. Odd. I thought that would really be something to watch out for but that hasn't been my experience.

instant 02-18-2012 09:57 PM

Do what ever you have to do. Everyone is different.

Ghostly 02-18-2012 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 3286580)
I don't use aftershave anyway (full beard)

Didn't know that...I did not picture you with a beard.

Notwell - If it is concerning you, it is probably worth avoiding.

Scolova 02-18-2012 10:33 PM

I just started shaving and using aftershave again after a decade+ of beard trimming only, and ~5 months sober now. I don't feel it's a possible 'trigger', but I have dumped out the mouthwash. Do what helps you for sure.

Just looked at mine and it's: SD alcohol 40-D... not sure what that means, but I'll keep it outta my mouth.

Slayer 02-19-2012 07:26 PM

I was on 250MG antabuse/daily for a few weeks and I put aftershave on and let it burn in and my face started to get all red. I immediately rinsed the aftershave off and my face was burning. I had a red rash on my face for a few days that everyone kept asking about.