Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Has anyone become a binge drinker AFTER daily drinker?

Notices

Old 02-18-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I was a daily drinker for a couple of years. I knew that I had a problem when I was drinking to make myself feel "normal". It wasn't until after I decided to stop drinking daily that I became a binge drinker and started blacking out. I have gone weeks or months with nothing to drink and then will spend an entire weekend drinking. Twice this has ended with a trip to the hospital with a BAC above .3. I will then spend a while not drinking and then binge again. I almost never drink during the week but when my kids are gone (and hubby works) I will start and not stop until I am sleeping. Has anyone gone through anything similar? I am desperate to hear that this is something that others have gone through and particularly would love to see any literature on it.
Thanks
Old 02-18-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

sanderbant,
It may be a form of failed controlled drinking. Any drinking that gets out of control is problematic.Otherwise, if you have an issue with drinking, you may want to consider refraining. I used to drink regularly then tried to cut back.When ever I drank it was in execs, whether it was once a week or once a month. Good luck and keep posting, it sounds like you are in the right place.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Sanderbant

I agree with Finmywayback

I know from personal experience that sometimes I went days without drinking but then when I did I went totally ott. Just couldn't stop when I started. Whether it's drinking every day or drinking once a month, if you can't stop, blackout, have problems as a result of drinking then it is a problem. It isn't how often or how much it is the results of drinking that show there is a problem. Abstinence is the only solution.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yes
Old 02-18-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was a daily drinker, which I'm grateful for. I didn't have much room to question my alcoholism. Had I been a binge drinking, I could easily see myself arguing that I don't really have a problem, because I can stop. Which after years of meetings and hearing other people's stories I isn't true.

I have heard others share experience like yours. Like someone already said, they considered it failed attempts at controlled drinking. I don't believe that finding information on this kind of drinking is going to help much other than to possibly make you feel less alone. The fact that it's landed you in the hospital should be enough to know that what you really need to figure out is how to stop, and stay stopped. As far as I know AA still has the best success rate regarding that.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Originally Posted by sanderbant View Post
I was a daily drinker for a couple of years. I knew that I had a problem...
I became a binge drinker and started blacking out.
Twice this has ended with a trip to the hospital with a BAC above .3
I see more people in your situation in Russia, than I ever did in 50 years in America. Its sad, people who "don't drink" suddenly becoming lost for a while, sometimes being found in the hospital. I know two personally. More than a few of our very good employees just didn't show up for work after payday. We rarely take them back knowing it will most likely happen again.

I'm afraid to drink again, I could turn into a binger rather than the drinker I was. Its no consolation to see other people like that.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

What are you going to do about this problem?
Old 02-18-2012, 09:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have already faced the problem head on. I am attending AA as well as taking antabuse daily. I am just wondering what causes something like this. Failed attempts at quitting drinking can cause some people to binge dangerously even when they were able to control the amount that they were drinking prior?
Old 02-18-2012, 09:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

oh, and I am also receiving counseling once a week. There is no denial of my problem I just want to come to terms with it to help in my recovery. Is there any literature about this?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This did happen to me. Anyone who drinks enough can become an alcoholic. I know exactly where you are coming from.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I drank daily for nearly 30 years and then my living situation dictated that I become a binge drinker. I could no longer drink at home. I would go a few days or even weeks without a drink and then check into a cheap motel where I drank until I was broke. I took my last drink under just these circumstances 3 years ago this month.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sanderbant View Post
I have already faced the problem head on. I am attending AA as well as taking antabuse daily. I am just wondering what causes something like this. Failed attempts at quitting drinking can cause some people to binge dangerously even when they were able to control the amount that they were drinking prior?
Ask your AA members, and your sponsor, about your questions. I'm sure you will hear your story told often in the rooms.
Try to identify and not compare. You are no different than the rest of us. Your answers will come when you are ready.

I wish you the best of luck.

Bob R