Notices

Non-alcoholic drinks

Old 02-14-2012, 12:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Non-alcoholic drinks

I haven't had a drink for 30 days as of today, and am so loving it. Every day I'm finding new reasons to not just appreciate sobriety, including a very scary health scare involving one of my children last week which required 2 visits to the ER. I kept thinking how bad it would've been if I had been drinking when it happened, and how you just never know when you will need to be somewhere in a moments notice. What if I'm passed out in bed after a night of drinking and didn't hear one of my kids in an emergency? We always think an emergency will never happen to us, but it did and I'm so thankful I was sober.

There's something I wanted to share that works for me, but I realize it might be a slippery slope for others. I find that, on the rare occasion I have a craving for an alcoholic drink that any non-alcoholic drink really takes away the craving. I assume that this is because my cravings are all mental and not physical. I usually prefer a strong-ish drink like coffee, hot cocoa, or cherry diet cola. Where it might be a trigger for some is I've even found "virgin" cocktails to be very enjoyable and relieves the urge for alcohol right away rather than create more of an urge for me. I really enjoy sparkling white grape juice (virgin champagne, sold in all supermarkets in the juice isle) mixed with orange juice. It's so bubbly and refreshing, and I don't have that "deprived" feeling.

Does anybody else find that the act of drinking takes away their urge for alcohol?
Old 02-14-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Non-alcoholic drinks

Non-alcoholic drinks.
I was thinking at one time the same as you.Well I'll just pass on exactly what a Sponsor of mine told me.
"Non Alcholic drinks are exactly what they say they are for.
The Non Alcoholic."

Blessings,
Vinnie
Old 02-14-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds better to stay away from them... they keep the idea that you are craving alcohol in your mind... which keeps the idea of alcohol in your mind.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just want to add that I wasn't referring to "Non-alcoholic" drinks like Non alcoholic beer or wine. I'm was referring to the act of having a regular drink--coffee, tea, juice, soda--when craving an alcoholic one. It works for ME. For some it might trigger a craving. That's why I specifically added that caveat, but I wanted to post it because it really works for me and might for others. Just something you have to be careful with if it doesn't work for you.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by BrandNewDay11 View Post

Does anybody else find that the act of drinking takes away their urge for alcohol?
Yes, sort of. Drinking was definitely an oral fixation for me and since I don't smoke and was ingesting huge amounts of sugar by the amount of alcohol I drank, I think I did substitute drinking other stuff in place of the booze for a while. When I did AA, I heard all the yammering about not having non-alcoholic drinks (the mocktail kind) because it was romanticizing the alcohol. I don't buy into that anymore. The bottom line for me is: if I truly wanted to drink, I'd drink. Nowadays, if I am at a party or if it's a nice warm day and I feel like having a refreshing drink (which some would consider a mocktail - and no, I do not mean non-alcoholic beer or wine) - I'll do it. I just don't drink alcohol, it's no more complicated than that.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've always found that very strong sour/bitter tastes really hit the spot when I'm craving a drink. I remember one night I had no alcohol at all, all stores were closed, and the cravings were killing me. I ended up eating two whole lemons and it really, really helped. It's not something I recommend doing very often, because overtime if you eat lemons too much, it can deteriorate your tooth enamel, but that's one suggestion if you're really in a pickle. Speaking of pickles, those help too.

I've also found that a veggie sandwich with jalapeno peppers is helpful, too. It's healthy and definitely has a bite to it. Sports drinks (Gatorade, Powerade, etc.) can help, too.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freethinking View Post
The bottom line for me is: if I truly wanted to drink, I'd drink. Nowadays, if I am at a party or if it's a nice warm day and I feel like having a refreshing drink (which some would consider a mocktail - and no, I do not mean non-alcoholic beer or wine) - I'll do it. I just don't drink alcohol, it's no more complicated than that.
This quote says it all in my opinion. I have been relieved of the obsession for alcohol provided that I do a few simple things and honestly, I really don't think about it anymore (other than maybe a random thought brought about by a commercial or billboard, etc. but I just mentally bat those away as I would a pesky gnat.) I did, however, experience plenty of them earlier on.

I never tried having a non-alcoholic drink to combat a craving but have seen Carol post things to do to while waiting out a craving and some are oral so it makes sense to me. My reactions were more like getting my butt to a meeting or calling someone or playing the tape through to the end.

After getting sober I continued with my Diet Coke addiction (minus the whiskey lol), plus tons of coffee. Recently I have rediscovered flavored sparkling water and it is very refreshing.

If a scenario such as what is laid out above should present itself to me I wouldn't turn down a "mocktail" that I like (say virgin pina colada). It's a fruity taste that I like. Period. Speaking strictly for myself, I don't associate them with alcohol nor does it trigger a craving. I just consider it a refreshing treat. Having said that, each person is different and YMMV.

Take care,
Kellye
Old 02-14-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the reminder Kellye

I don't think Carol would mind me pilfering her files
Originally Posted by CarolD
In early sobriety I timed my cravings....tho they felt like hours...they were not.
They were actually 5 to 7 minutes and so then I took actions

I prayed...walked or danced around the room...ate a snack...Showered...brushed my teeth...drank cold water....took a bubble bath with scented candles..sang aloud etc.

I thought of that as actions of disstractions....

Rather quickly they began to abate both in intensity andtime
By the end of 2 months they had vanished ..never have returned during the last 22 years.

Please try any of the above or make up your own distractions
Yes you too can win over alcohol.....keep moving forward......
D
Old 02-14-2012, 05:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You could try them if you want. Can't say they are any good. Couldn't hurt since they are non alcoholic.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The flavored seltzer waters are great. I don't mind mocktails. I always thought Bloody Marys were ruined by the vodka. I haven't tried NA beer. I am afraid of it. I live on black coffee. Yum. I really like CHEAP and LOW CAL for my alcohol replacement if I can.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For parties, I love ginger beer. I like the taste and it looks like I have a beer bottle in my hand, which prevents people from offering me an alcoholic drink or asking why I'm not drinking.

GG
Old 02-15-2012, 03:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

The secret of non-alcoholic beer...it's seltzer water with a malty flavor. Drink as much as you want. The minuscule amount of alcohol will never get your blood alcohol level to any feel-able amount.

If non-alcoholic beer is for non-alcoholics then alcoholic beer is for alcoholics....wait that's not right.

The only rules in sobriety and life are what works. Some people can never moderate, whereas others can. Our problem is that we drink to levels that interfere with the things in life we value and we need to stop drinking to those levels...whether we do that with moderation or abstinence or with non-alcoholic beers or without or AA or without...we need to just do what works.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by TwelveSteps View Post
For parties, I love ginger beer. I like the taste and it looks like I have a beer bottle in my hand, which prevents people from offering me an alcoholic drink or asking why I'm not drinking.

GG
what is ginger beer?
Old 02-15-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think I know it. It is a non-alcoholic drink made from the juice of ginger or probably through a heated ginger mixed in warm or cold water. I had done this before and really helped me in some ways to stop drinking alcoholic drinks too.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Colton View Post
The only rules in sobriety and life are what works. Some people can never moderate, whereas others can. Our problem is that we drink to levels that interfere with the things in life we value and we need to stop drinking to those levels...whether we do that with moderation or abstinence or with non-alcoholic beers or without or AA or without...we need to just do what works.
I totally agree. I think the lumping of all alcoholics together as one in the same is the root of why many people waste so much energy denying to themselves that they really have a problem with alcohol.

It's true, we are all united in the fact that all have problems with alcohol and we all (at least on this board) want to find a way to be rid of those problems. But after that, our stories are individual and varied as we are all unique.

My old "image" of an alcoholic woman didn't match my own behavior. I didn't stash airplane bottles of vodka in the ceiling or spike my coffee with booze. I was never drunk before at least 3pm and I never, ever used the hair of the dog. I didn't drink every day and could easily moderate myself in public at parties (it was the alone drinking I couldn't moderate). I used these and other reasons to tell myself I couldn't possibly be an alcoholic. I preferred to think instead that I 'abused alcohol' --a distinction to convince myself that I wasn't really "THAT bad".

But I reached a point that I didn't care anymore what my "label" was. Alcoholic, alcohol abuser--semantics. I had a big problem, and I was no better or worse than the "harder" alcoholics, only perhaps luckier. That being said, I still bristle when well intentioned people insist that the rules are the same for everyone.

That's not to say that what worked for someone with one sent of circumstances won't work for someone very different--of course it could. But it's important to keep an open mind and realize that something that might be a trigger to one person might be totally fine for another. As Colton said, the only rules for sobriety are what works. For me, a strong drink like coffee or soda or even a mocktail truly works.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
MMN

My drink of choice is soda water with a few drops of angostura bitters. The soda water provides the volume and sparkles - without any calories - and the bitters provide the taste. Throw in a slice of lemon too. As an added benefit the bitters also act to settle your stomach if that's playing up.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I definately enjoy a seltzer with juice in a pretty glass as s substitute for the glass of wine I used to have.

I used to pretty much sip a glass(well, several) of wine all evening, most evenings. If I were not going to substitute that with some other drink, like water, seltzer, coffee or tea, I would have to fast from drinking any fluids all evening.

Having a soothing hot drink, like tea of coffee seems quite healthy as a way to relax in the evening. I think it is what alot of people do, alcoholic or otherwise. And, it definately helps me in my attempt at sobriety. Keeps me well hydrated too.

rochele
Old 02-16-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

MMN just in case you were not aware, Angostura bitters contains around 45% alcohol. Although you only use a few drops for flavoring, just thought i would let you know in case
Old 02-16-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I like fake beer a little . I liked real beer alot. 172 days sober. my first post yea
Old 02-16-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Careful out there

to all of those who are posting about "non-alcoholic" drinks...
it certainly is true that people have different tastes and different experiences in what they choose to drink while staying sober. i do not want to engage in argument about that.

there are some things to consider however...
anyone who is suffering from addiction to alcohol (that's what alcoholism is) is suffering from a disorder of the brain. one of the things addiction does in the brain is to alter what are called the executive processes. these are the processes that allow us to make proper and appropriate decisions in our lives based on past experience/learning and our intentions for doing something. those processes get hi-jacked during our addiction. that's why we get into problems with our friends and family, or drinking and driving, or not being able to stop and go home when we were supposed to, etc.

when we are newly abstinent, the brain has to have time to heal and that can take quite a while. during that time, we may still make poor decisions. that is also why so many people experience anxiety, or depression, or anger, etc. when we are new. the brain has a lot of work to do to repair itself. as has been pointed out by others, it may or may not turn out to be a problem to have mocktails or .05 % wine or beer but WHY CHANCE IT?? if you can't resist doing it, that may point to how active your "alcoholic thinking" is. better get together with some others who are staying abstinent. being sober is different than being abstinent you know.
peace...yrag(gary)